Price Recommendation - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Price Recommendation

Hello

I am not yet a FJR owner, but potentially a future owner. There is a 2005 FJR in my area with 14.6k miles. What would you guys say is a good price for this bike? I have not seen it in person, but new tires in the past 2 yrs/2000 miles and new battery recently. Claims it is in great condition.

Also a question on these bikes to help my decision. How will would this fit myself and a passenger, which are both around 6 foot. Does it give a sport bike feeling when riding or does it lean more towards the touring side?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 05:01 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
No idea on price valuation. The bike has split personalities, below 5k rpm it is a tourer, 5k and above, hold on tight. She's a demon. 14.6K miles is not even broken in especially a 2005. I believe the gal that just won the Iron Butt Association rally in 2019 was on a 2005. 13k+ miles in 11 days, she pretty much did all your miles in 11 DAYS ! Depending on what has been added to your perspective ride, you might be looking at handlebar risers and a more comfortable seat for you and your other. The five speed, I've done 60mph in second and 60mph in fifth. As I said earlier, it is both a tourer AND a sportbike.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 08:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Gen2 (after 2006) got an inch or so longer wheelbase and room for the passenger... your 6 footer pillion and you should go sit on one. Aftermarket seat recommended.
You can get passenger footpeg lowering brackets, and as well turn them into floorboards with some aluminum plate as many have done.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 08:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
ABS model or not (decals on the front fender)? If ABS, you can easily test the rear ABS. It probably won't work, but you might get lucky. FJRs through 2005 had a problem with the ABS unit for the rear break lines getting stuck unless the unit was cycled during the brake flush. Just stomp that rear brake hard on the test ride and you'll know. Front is trickier to test.

I have a well-farkled 2005 with [front] ABS and currently 110K miles that I'll be selling in the near future. I'm planning on $3000. Russell Day Long, Racetech Gold fork valves and springs, fork brace, Shad SH48 with Admore lights, Garauld Stiffy, Project R LED tail light replacement, wigwag headlights with F2 LED bulbs, T-Rex sliders, R-Gaza pannier guards, Homelink, full synthetic for the last 25K miles. Looks great for a 15 year old motorcycle, but there are scuffs. For low miles, they'll want (and get) more for theirs.

I'd recommend looking for a more recent model with a few more miles. If you like the 2005 because blue is your color, that would be 2006, 2012, 2016, 2018, and [some] 2019. Set your budget; buy the best you can find for that price.

FWIW, I'm not selling, yet. I need to get the 2016 I purchased from a dealer in New Hampshire down here to Texas, first....

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 08:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon Vancura View Post
Hello

I am not yet a FJR owner, but potentially a future owner. There is a 2005 FJR in my area with 14.6k miles. What would you guys say is a good price for this bike? I have not seen it in person, but new tires in the past 2 yrs/2000 miles and new battery recently. Claims it is in great condition.

Thanks!
You may want to review threads related to the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). One of them is here.

For what it is worth, my '05 had a problem with its Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) in 2011 or 2012 at circa 45K miles. The throttle responded unexpectedly, i.e. accelerate un-announced, or not accelerate when I twisted the throttle. My issue also occurred only at highway speeds. The dealer replaced it under warranty and once replaced the problem never returned.

While not a common issue, there were more than a few instances and you can research the issue under "TPS".

As an 11-year, 80K miles '05 owner, I discourage you from buying this model year due to the engine heat and the potential TPS issue. Knowing what I know now, I would only buy an '07 or later, if not an '08 or later. The '05 runs hot and nothing is going to change it. Were it the only model available then yes, absolutely. I loved my model and the good more than outweighed the bad (heat?!). But, there are a lot of FJR's for sale that are model years '08 and later and not cost that much more than an '05.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Patrick

Last edited by Chicago_FJR; 05-01-2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 08:40 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I'm 6'3" close to 300Lbs (thank you winter) I ride a 2004 abs.

You will not have any trouble with ride height. I ride it both ways cruise with the woman and full sport when I get to the mountains and open highway. **** rocket ship. I have the bar risers and aftermarket seat and go all day. My wife is small (4'9") I only know she is on the bike when the Helmet gets smacked for hyper speed!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 08:41 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post
ABS model or not (decals on the front fender)? If ABS, you can easily test the rear ABS. It probably won't work, but you might get lucky. FJRs through 2005 had a problem with the ABS unit for the rear break lines getting stuck unless the unit was cycled during the brake flush. Just stomp that rear brake hard on the test ride and you'll know. Front is trickier to test.

I have a well-farkled 2005 with [front] ABS and currently 110K miles that I'll be selling in the near future. I'm planning on $3000. Russell Day Long, Racetech Gold fork valves and springs, fork brace, Shad SH48 with Admore lights, Garauld Stiffy, Project R LED tail light replacement, wigwag headlights with F2 LED bulbs, T-Rex sliders, R-Gaza pannier guards, Homelink, full synthetic for the last 25K miles. Looks great for a 15 year old motorcycle, but there are scuffs. For low miles, they'll want (and get) more for theirs.

I'd recommend looking for a more recent model with a few more miles. If you like the 2005 because blue is your color, that would be 2006, 2012, 2016, 2018, and [some] 2019. Set your budget; buy the best you can find for that price.

FWIW, I'm not selling, yet. I need to get the 2016 I purchased from a dealer in New Hampshire down here to Texas, first....
Just the extras are worth more than $5K.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Just an update, I purchased the bike, and since the beginning of April, I have put around 2500 problem free miles on it! Thanks for the advice. I was able to put over 7k miles on an R1 before this, so I can't wait to see where I go with this one.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon Vancura View Post
Just an update, I purchased the bike, and since the beginning of April, I have put around 2500 problem free miles on it! Thanks for the advice. I was able to put over 7k miles on an R1 before this, so I can't wait to see where I go with this one.
Congratulations!

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page