weight issue??? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 128Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
lodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: High in the Rocky Mountians of Colorado
Posts: 64
Lately I've seen several posts in forum threads of people wringing their hands about some sort of weight issue and I'm confused about it... I mean the FJR, featuring that monster engine and the fact that for the most part doesn't care what gear you're in, I've never experienced any weight issue at all with respect to this machine's awesome performance with torque and acceleration... just sayin...
2014oldred, sgkramar and Sete Bond like this.

Cheers!
LoDo

"Think of it as evolution in action" -Niven

Toys:
2005 FJR1300A
1999 BMW F650 "Funduro"
Cages:
2013 Toyota Tundra
1998 Tiger GT
lodo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
lodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: High in the Rocky Mountians of Colorado
Posts: 64
Also, full disclosure:

I could care less about straight line top end speed or idiots that take performance to mean being able to do a wheelie at 70 mph lol

Cheers!
LoDo

"Think of it as evolution in action" -Niven

Toys:
2005 FJR1300A
1999 BMW F650 "Funduro"
Cages:
2013 Toyota Tundra
1998 Tiger GT
lodo is offline  
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
cra-z1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CDA, Idaho
Posts: 554
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodo View Post
Also, full disclosure:

I could care less about straight line top end speed or idiots that take performance to mean being able to do a wheelie at 70 mph lol
You mean like the guys who ride these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSXR1000 in driveway.jpg (281.6 KB, 50 views)
lodo likes this.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
cra-z1 is online now  
 
post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
Bernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia No fixed address
Posts: 2,344
Weight only becomes an issue when you have to push the thing around, or pick it up after it has fallen down.
JohnC, maximrebel, AzorRon and 1 others like this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
Bernie is offline  
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
lodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: High in the Rocky Mountians of Colorado
Posts: 64
Gotta luv the Gixxer... Also heard Hilter wants one:

Cheers!
LoDo

"Think of it as evolution in action" -Niven

Toys:
2005 FJR1300A
1999 BMW F650 "Funduro"
Cages:
2013 Toyota Tundra
1998 Tiger GT
lodo is offline  
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
oldbaldsob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Springfield, MOFO
Posts: 124
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodo View Post
Lately I've seen several posts in forum threads of people wringing their hands about some sort of weight issue and I'm confused about it... I mean the FJR, featuring that monster engine and the fact that for the most part doesn't care what gear you're in, I've never experienced any weight issue at all with respect to this machine's awesome performance with torque and acceleration... just sayin...

In my case, a serious health problem arose involving my back which made it nearly impossible to wrestle my former FJR upright from the sidestand let alone deploying the centerstand. It sucks because before my health issue occurred, I had no issues with the FJR's weight. If I can fully recover in a year or two, I do plan on getting another FJR. Until then, in order to ride at all I require a bike that weighs at least 100 lbs less than the FJR and with a lower center of gravity. My recently acquired 2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor fits the bill very nicely and lifts upright from the sidestand without pain or drama.
smokamoto, lodo and Redfish like this.

1996 Honda Nighthawk 750 project bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES (sold)
2008 Honda VFR 800
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
2005 Suzuki SV1000S (crashed and rebuilt)
oldbaldsob is offline  
post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 01:37 PM
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
SpokaneJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Spokane, Washington, USA
Posts: 75
I have been on some narrow county roads for long stretches on the FJR. These road were nearly one lane, poor pavement and bumpy. I got physically tired piloting the FJR down these type of road for extended periods. A smaller bike would be better thus the comments the FJR is too big. We also call them goat trails. Better with a 650 Vstrom than a FJR.

An example of such a road is the Mattole Road in California. The Mattole is much better on an Adventure bike with more suspension travel than an FJR.
smokamoto and Redfish like this.

Last edited by SpokaneJim; 04-20-2020 at 01:42 PM.
SpokaneJim is offline  
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneJim View Post
I have been on some narrow county roads for long stretches on the FJR. These road were nearly one lane, poor pavement and bumpy. I got physically tired piloting the FJR down these type of road for extended periods. A smaller bike would be better thus the comments the FJR is too big. We also call them goat trails. Better with a 650 Vstrom than a FJR.
This is where I'm at, too.

The FJR isn't too heavy or big if you're doing the type of riding and touring it was primarily designed to do...for that, it's ideal. But given that 95% of my riding is done on winding, often narrow country roads, it has become, after three years of ownership (going into my fourth season w/ my '16), a bit old and tiresome to work that 650-lb. machine through corners for hours on end each ride.

I have my eyes on a bike that, at 150 pounds less, is much better suited to the type of riding I do. In the three years I've owned my FJR, I've never ridden out of my home state. Given that I don't realistically see that changing anytime soon and the aforementioned type of riding I spend my time on, it's past time for a change...not because it's too heavy, per se, but rather that it's simply too heavy *for the type of riding I do.* Had I given that issue more thought at the time I bought the FJR, I likely would have realized it wasn't really the right bike for me...four years later and though I love the bike for what it is, that mismatch has unfortunately become even more clear.
MikeV957, Dan Kim, Redfish and 1 others like this.

2016 FJR1300A
RC65 is offline  
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 06:10 PM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
Bill Lumberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southeast
Posts: 2,754
Earlier generations were undersprung, according to owners. With a gen III/IV, you can load up all your bags and put two full grown adults on it and it will thrash all day, A model or ES. I’ve put plenty of two-up miles on both.

I think weight is sometimes a concern because the FJR carries the weight rather high..
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodo View Post
Lately I've seen several posts in forum threads of people wringing their hands about some sort of weight issue and I'm confused about it... I mean the FJR, featuring that monster engine and the fact that for the most part doesn't care what gear you're in, I've never experienced any weight issue at all with respect to this machine's awesome performance with torque and acceleration... just sayin...
smokamoto, LaHe66, lodo and 1 others like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 04-20-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Bill Lumberg is offline  
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
Bernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia No fixed address
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
This is where I'm at, too.

The FJR isn't too heavy or big if you're doing the type of riding and touring it was primarily designed to do...for that, it's ideal. But given that 95% of my riding is done on winding, often narrow country roads, it has become, after three years of ownership (going into my fourth season w/ my '16), a bit old and tiresome to work that 650-lb. machine through corners for hours on end each ride.

I have my eyes on a bike that, at 150 pounds less, is much better suited to the type of riding I do. In the three years I've owned my FJR, I've never ridden out of my home state. Given that I don't realistically see that changing anytime soon and the aforementioned type of riding I spend my time on, it's past time for a change...not because it's too heavy, per se, but rather that it's simply too heavy *for the type of riding I do.* Had I given that issue more thought at the time I bought the FJR, I likely would have realized it wasn't really the right bike for me...four years later and though I love the bike for what it is, that mismatch has unfortunately become even more clear.
This is exactly why I changed to a Super Tenere. It has all the features of the FJR, but is lighter and has better handling and suspension.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
Bernie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome