weight issue??? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 07:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have seriously flirted with a Tenere, and can handle the power difference, but concern that they are reported to have even less wind protection than the fjr left me skiddish. I do to many highway miles at cruising speed. If I switch from fjr it’ll be to something that has equal or more wind protection than the fjr. I still think about the Tenere though.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 07:54 PM
FJR Top Gun

It's funny coming over from the ST forum where guys complained about the weight of the ST 1300 at 717 pounds to a forum where the bike is nearly 100 pounds lighter (630 pounds) where the guys are complaining about the weight. But then again, guys complain about the weight of the CB1100 ( 550 pounds) which is nearly 100 pounds lighter than the FJR over on the CB1100 forum too.

Wonder how light motorcycles have to be before riders quit complaining about the weight?
bounce, LaHe66, mobilemike and 3 others like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #13 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 08:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I chuckle too at the guys in Britain who say the CBF1000 is "getting heavy, I'm having problems moving it around in the garage"... 530 lbs. I can wheel that thing around anywhere with ease at my ripe old age, I guess I just don't get it, LOL.
LaHe66, the Ferret and SpokaneJim like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #14 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 10:07 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I tended to ignore most of these conversations short of it being so top heavy but today was different. I got my fjr out for the first ride of the season, had to go into town for some parts for a 76 wing Iím working on, so long story short I couldnít roll the bike up onto the centerstand because of excruciating back pain. Getting off the side stand or swinging a leg over was also excruciating, so once moving I just smiled on my fjr but the time may be here to go a different direction, weíll see ☹️☹️

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #15 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 10:35 PM
FJR Top Gun

Well being injured, especially a back injury, would make a CBR 250 seem heavy. Heck when my back went out a magazine felt heavy lol.
passx and Donk like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #16 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 11:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
This is exactly why I changed to a Super Tenere. It has all the features of the FJR, but is lighter and has better handling and suspension.
I'm looking seriously at a 2020 BMW R1250R, a naked roadster...even with a small screen, I'm going to have to get used to a lot more wind blast (unlike the Tenere). But again, given that most of my riding is on back country roads, wind isn't really a concern (and actually, when I took that thing on a testride I was amazed by how clean the wind was). It wasn't until I took it on a short highway stint @ 70'ish mph that the wind became a bit much.

So while I do wish the wind protection was better, it's otherwise exactly what I'm looking for. Also looked at the new 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, the new BMW F900XR, Yamaha Tracer 900GT, MT-10, and a few others, all in that 500'ish-pound range; the 1250R is the only one really excited me. There's no perfect bike for every scenario...if there was, I suppose we'd probably all be riding it.

2016 FJR1300A
post #17 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 02:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

It seems funny but an even heavier bike might be a solution for many of you with bad knees, hips, spines, arthritis etc
Imho, the most logical replacement should be a DCT Wing, with engine crawl forward and backward, the lowest center of gravity in the industry, reliable, great power, and now no longer in the "couch" category (ok maybe now a smaller sofa ;-P ), the only thing they should have done was to add electric centre stand and maybe the "self balancing" feature, and then it would have been perfect :-) ,...at least for you US guys it's (only) 25k, here in Canada we are pushing 32k.
Some complain about Wing being "to much carlike", of course I disagree and as long as they still make them I know that will be my ride, once I can't handle the fjr top heaviness. Unless of course they don't come up with an even better bike. And then get a Tenere or VStrom 650 as a second bike.
Sete Bond likes this.

"If FJR doesn't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"

2017 ES the BEST (and most reliable) sport touring bike currently available

Last edited by Damir; 04-21-2020 at 10:26 AM.
post #18 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 02:59 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I have seriously flirted with a Tenere, and can handle the power difference, but concern that they are reported to have even less wind protection than the fjr left me skiddish. I do to many highway miles at cruising speed. If I switch from fjr itíll be to something that has equal or more wind protection than the fjr. I still think about the Tenere though.
I am fairly short, 5'8", and I find that my Super Tenere with the OEM screen in the high position, has better wind and rain protection than any of my FJR's, I've had all three generations of them.
Bill Lumberg and Donk like this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #19 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 08:31 AM
FJR Top Gun

I test rode a Super Ten but when I got back to the dealership I couldn't get the side stand deployed. My legs are too short to push it out far enough to catch, it just kept springing back. My son had to walk over and extend it for me so I could climb off. Maybe it was the one I test rode, but it sounded like someone shaking a bucket of bolts.
bigjohnsd likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

post #20 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 09:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I test rode a Super Ten but when I got back to the dealership I couldn't get the side stand deployed. My legs are too short to push it out far enough to catch, it just kept springing back. My son had to walk over and extend it for me so I could climb off. Maybe it was the one I test rode, but it sounded like someone shaking a bucket of bolts.
Yes, all S10's sound like that, I have no idea why, but it doesn't affect their reliability. And all big adventure bikes have a high saddle height, I struggle with that myself, but the S10 is lower than the BMW GS bikes.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page