weight issue??? - Page 13 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 06:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

My 2 cents again.. But is the bike heavy, yes, as others have said its primarily if you drop it or need to push it around.. Then again, its lighter than many bikes out there and really the weight is well placed. For as heavy as it is it's very maneuverable at slow speeds in parking lots and such. I feel no issues with the weight on single lane roads at slow speeds, and I suppose I have a hard time understanding these scenarios becoming tiresome or wearing on you. I will say however those are typically a lil more rough of a road and I feel the suspension could be plusher in this scenarios.. But wouldn't work as well on the twists then.

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 07:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I can agree with that, but the rear end of an FJR "seems" light in proportion to the front if you get bags off, no top box. I always rode it with the bags on, just felt better to me in hard twisties....
Raising forks or bigger back tire/car tire will become more noticeable as the twisty riding gets more aggressive, definitely handles better.
I could care less about the battery... adding crash bars more than compensates down low, LOL, I dunno what they weigh, gotta be at least 20 lbs (thus exaggerating when you take the bags off)...... ah, each to his own, do what works for you best.
Since this makes sense in terms of physics, maybe i will try hitting the mountains with the bags on. Yamaha did design it with the bag weight factored into front rear balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I can agree with that, but the rear end of an FJR "seems" light in proportion to the front if you get bags off, no top box. I always rode it with the bags on, just felt better to me in hard twisties....
Raising forks or bigger back tire/car tire will become more noticeable as the twisty riding gets more aggressive, definitely handles better.
I could care less about the battery... adding crash bars more than compensates down low, LOL, I dunno what they weigh, gotta be at least 20 lbs (thus exaggerating when you take the bags off)...... ah, each to his own, do what works for you best.
I haven't even ridden mine with the bags off yet. 650 miles so far. Now I'm curious.

I think the only issue I have with this bike so far is the suspension. I knew going in that it wasn't a lightweight bike, but apparently Yamaha didn't. Heh.
At 190lbs i feel like the suspensions is actually great. *shrug*
Well I do have about 40lbs on you. But my old 90s cbr cbr1k had a crap suspension by most people's standards and it was more stable than my fjr at speed. Perhaps there's something wrong with mine, but it wiggles and wallows all over the place.
I do need to mess with the dampening a little more, so maybe I'm being quick to judge. You may be right.
post #123 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 07:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

And I'm talking about high speed cornering, just so we're clear.

post #124 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 11:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
And I'm talking about high speed cornering, just so we're clear.
Mines like a rock on the freeway and similar in the mountains. If you’ve got 40lbs on me you should probably be 6-7 clicks back from HARD on all your suspension adjustments. Preload maybe close to all the way in on the forks.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #125 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 06:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

KilgoreTrout, I can't remember your bike but, preload all the way in on the forks, start your damping adjustments 8 clicks out and tweak from there. Rear shock damping you'll likely end up at 6 clicks out, maybe 7.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #126 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 08:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Well I do have about 40lbs on you. But my old 90s cbr cbr1k had a crap suspension by most people's standards and it was more stable than my fjr at speed. Perhaps there's something wrong with mine, but it wiggles and wallows all over the place.
I do need to mess with the dampening a little more, so maybe I'm being quick to judge. You may be right.

Yeah. Something sounds wrong. Start with PSI at 40/40 in the tires and move through the rest of the suspension slowly and methodically (1 change at a time with tests along the same section of road in between each change). Once you get it sorted, then play with the 40/40 to fine tune it.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page