weight issue??? - Page 12 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 126 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 03:31 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

my back has gotten bad after woking on the C5 vette now sold...On my Behemoth C14 which was very fast I removed the centerstand and nasty heavy stock muffler replaced with liteweight can for a weight savings of approx. 36 lbs. going to do the same on my new to me mint '06 FJR with about the same weight savings it'll be great. At about 40-50 lbs less then the Concours, (with same weight saving mods) and noticeably narrower... the FJR is downright small, well almost. I'll be able to flick that thing everywhere. Traveled alot on the connie and dont need the centerstands 12lbs, shop does my tires.. hate stock mufflers...because of the weight. Gotta have alot of horsepower, my 2 Ninja Z1000SXs were good, hate chains, the VFR800 didn't have enough power for me, Gotta have major wind protection as I often do 80-100 on the straight florida roads. At 6'1 and 212 lbs I like to throw a bike around with my weight in the twisties and mountains. Picking up my '06 FJR this week...it should be perfect for me!

don't be a nimrod; confound the globalists
1st bike 1964 Honda 305 Superhawk, used $415,2k mi.
2nd bike: 1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 used otd $780
only bike bought new 1974 Kawasaki Z1B 900 otd $2400
Ninja 1000s,Bandit 1200s,Vfrs inbetween...
sold last yr. 2010 Kawasaki Concourse 1400
current: 2006 FJR 1300 Blue , 23k mi. 5/20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 126 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
This is where I'm at, too.

The FJR isn't too heavy or big if you're doing the type of riding and touring it was primarily designed to do...for that, it's ideal. But given that 95% of my riding is done on winding, often narrow country roads, it has become, after three years of ownership (going into my fourth season w/ my '16), a bit old and tiresome to work that 650-lb. machine through corners for hours on end each ride.

I have my eyes on a bike that, at 150 pounds less, is much better suited to the type of riding I do. In the three years I've owned my FJR, I've never ridden out of my home state. Given that I don't realistically see that changing anytime soon and the aforementioned type of riding I spend my time on, it's past time for a change...not because it's too heavy, per se, but rather that it's simply too heavy *for the type of riding I do.* Had I given that issue more thought at the time I bought the FJR, I likely would have realized it wasn't really the right bike for me...four years later and though I love the bike for what it is, that mismatch has unfortunately become even more clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
This is exactly why I changed to a Super Tenere. It has all the features of the FJR, but is lighter and has better handling and suspension.
Congrats on your Tenere, and for finding the change of bike that was right for you. Tomorrow (Tues.) may bring similar news for me, we'll see.
Bernie likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
post #113 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 10:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

All this is why i DON’T think it’s a bad idea to lower the weight where you can, without being a nut about it. A lot of people on here say “oh it’s a heavy bike, just deal with it. I say BS. Riding with the panniers off unless you’re touring-26lbs, aftermarket pipes-12lbs.... lithium ion battery alone is a 10lb weight savings... and that’s up high weight too! Just those things puts you down in Hayabusa weight area. Is it light? He’ll no, but it’s no Harley bagger that’s for sure. Add in raising the forks by 5/10mm and or raising the rear with a 190 tire or whatever, and you’ve got a noticeably more manageable bike.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

post #114 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 07:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
All this is why i DONíT think itís a bad idea to lower the weight where you can, without being a nut about it. A lot of people on here say ďoh itís a heavy bike, just deal with it. I say BS. Riding with the panniers off unless youíre touring-26lbs, aftermarket pipes-12lbs.... lithium ion battery alone is a 10lb weight savings... and thatís up high weight too! Just those things puts you down in Hayabusa weight area. Is it light? Heíll no, but itís no Harley bagger thatís for sure. Add in raising the forks by 5/10mm and or raising the rear with a 190 tire or whatever, and youíve got a noticeably more manageable bike.
I've never heard or read where anyone said "it's a bad idea to lower the weight". Where'd that come from? IMHO this is a mighty YMMV choice- to some it's important, to others not. I think most people think "it is what it is" b/c we're not the Ricky Racer types and we don't feel the need to spend $$ to attempt to morph the bike into something it's not and never will be. IMO if someone "needs" to shed weight and beef up the engine so it's more like a Hayabusa then why not just go buy a Hayabusa?

There are many of us out here, I'm one of them, that can tell no difference between a 190 and a 180 tire. I can't the difference between 6 clicks on a suspension adjustment and 4. The list of subtleties others notice go by me completely. So admittedly I am one of the people who thinks the collective folks like you are "being a nut about it". But hey, if it works for you, go for it! Your bike, your choice but please don't think you're ever gonna convince me (or anyone else) that I'm wrong for riding with saddlebags.
bounce likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #115 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 08:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
I've never heard or read where anyone said "it's a bad idea to lower the weight". Where'd that come from? IMHO this is a mighty YMMV choice- to some it's important, to others not. I think most people think "it is what it is" b/c we're not the Ricky Racer types and we don't feel the need to spend $$ to attempt to morph the bike into something it's not and never will be. IMO if someone "needs" to shed weight and beef up the engine so it's more like a Hayabusa then why not just go buy a Hayabusa?

There are many of us out here, I'm one of them, that can tell no difference between a 190 and a 180 tire. I can't the difference between 6 clicks on a suspension adjustment and 4. The list of subtleties others notice go by me completely. So admittedly I am one of the people who thinks the collective folks like you are "being a nut about it". But hey, if it works for you, go for it! Your bike, your choice but please don't think you're ever gonna convince me (or anyone else) that I'm wrong for riding with saddlebags.
Lol, hey, the bike came with hard cases...so riding with them is certainly not a bad thing. I've picked up on the fact that with the FJR there's two camps....There's the (usually over 50ish?) camp which is "I want a touring bike that can handle twisties when I want, that doesn't weigh what a Goldwing or Harley does." Then theres my camp (30's/40's?) that "I want a sport bike that does long distances the RIGHT way (not a Busa or ZX14r with risers and bags), but I'm still very much a sportbike and naked bike rider". I bought this thing to go long distances through the mountains, basically avoiding the super slabs whenever possible. For my camp...weight reduction is everything after basic optimization of crash protection/windscreen/peg preferences etc. To be honest, I'm sure I could have gotten away with a FZ1 fully decked out or a VFR1200 etc, but those seemed to be imitating a long distance steed, not actually being one. I wanted the pedigree of the FJR1300 and little things like shaft drive and adjustable windscreen/heated grips and seat(on mine)/cruise etc. BUT that being said if the bike had come from the factory 75lbs lighter and just a hair lower to the ground in the high seat position, I would be a happy man. Well I'm still very happy about it...but you get it.

Last edited by AtlRiderrr; 07-10-2020 at 08:51 AM.
post #116 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 10:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I can agree with that, but the rear end of an FJR "seems" light in proportion to the front if you get bags off, no top box. I always rode it with the bags on, just felt better to me in hard twisties....
Raising forks or bigger back tire/car tire will become more noticeable as the twisty riding gets more aggressive, definitely handles better.
I could care less about the battery... adding crash bars more than compensates down low, LOL, I dunno what they weigh, gotta be at least 20 lbs (thus exaggerating when you take the bags off)...... ah, each to his own, do what works for you best.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #117 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneJim View Post
I have been on some narrow county roads for long stretches on the FJR. These road were nearly one lane, poor pavement and bumpy. I got physically tired piloting the FJR down these type of road for extended periods. A smaller bike would be better thus the comments the FJR is too big. We also call them goat trails. Better with a 650 Vstrom than a FJR.

An example of such a road is the Mattole Road in California. The Mattole is much better on an Adventure bike with more suspension travel than an FJR.
And that's why I have an FJR1300 and a DL650. The right tool for the job makes a difference. Goaty roads on the FJR can be done but are not fun. They are a blast on the DL650.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ų bike=miles
smiles ų miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #118 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 11:01 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I can agree with that, but the rear end of an FJR "seems" light in proportion to the front if you get bags off, no top box. I always rode it with the bags on, just felt better to me in hard twisties....
Raising forks or bigger back tire/car tire will become more noticeable as the twisty riding gets more aggressive, definitely handles better.
I could care less about the battery... adding crash bars more than compensates down low, LOL, I dunno what they weigh, gotta be at least 20 lbs (thus exaggerating when you take the bags off)...... ah, each to his own, do what works for you best.
I haven't even ridden mine with the bags off yet. 650 miles so far. Now I'm curious.

I think the only issue I have with this bike so far is the suspension. I knew going in that it wasn't a lightweight bike, but apparently Yamaha didn't. Heh.
post #119 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 01:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Since this makes sense in terms of physics, maybe i will try hitting the mountains with the bags on. Yamaha did design it with the bag weight factored into front rear balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
Quote:
I haven't even ridden mine with the bags off yet. 650 miles so far. Now I'm curious.

I think the only issue I have with this bike so far is the suspension. I knew going in that it wasn't a lightweight bike, but apparently Yamaha didn't. Heh.
At 190lbs i feel like the suspension is actually great. *shrug*
the Ferret likes this.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #120 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 03:46 PM
FJR Top Gun

The only time the bags are on my bike is when on a trip. Otherwise they are stored in my motorcycle gear room. Sometimes I ride with the trunk, sometimes not. When my wife rides with me she likes it back there. Or if I'm running to the store to pick something up, it comes in handy. Otherwise I'd just as soon leave it off too, and often do. Stripped it sorta reminds you of an FJ 1200.

The bike feels lighter, and seems to handle better to me without that stuff back there, but admittedly I'm no road racer, just a rider, and if in my head it feels better, well it feels better, so I ride without it. Same goes for my suspension settings. Undoubtedly too soft for those who know better, but it feels good to me, so that's how I have it set, and going to leave it like that.

Also really like my shorty windshield. I like lots of air, especially when it's hot and humid like it is around here from June to October. When fall comes, or heading out on a trip, then the Yamaha touring shield goes back on. Switching from sport mode to tour mode takes less than 15 mins and that includes the walk upstairs to retrieve the saddlebags, and changing out the shield.

This bike really adapts well to the situation or wants of the owner, which is great. It can be a stripped sporty bike, or it can be a full blown tourer or something in between depending on the desire of the owner, changeable back and fort on a moment's notice. Set up your bike how it suits you, for the situation at hand, and enjoy the ride.

Local riding

Out on a tour

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 07-10-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page