FJR Owners Forum banner

weight issue???

16K views 125 replies 43 participants last post by  bounce 
#1 ·
Lately I've seen several posts in forum threads of people wringing their hands about some sort of weight issue and I'm confused about it... I mean the FJR, featuring that monster engine and the fact that for the most part doesn't care what gear you're in, I've never experienced any weight issue at all with respect to this machine's awesome performance with torque and acceleration... just sayin...

#2 ·
Also, full disclosure:

I could care less about straight line top end speed or idiots that take performance to mean being able to do a wheelie at 70 mph lol

#6 ·
In my case, a serious health problem arose involving my back which made it nearly impossible to wrestle my former FJR upright from the sidestand let alone deploying the centerstand. It sucks because before my health issue occurred, I had no issues with the FJR's weight. If I can fully recover in a year or two, I do plan on getting another FJR. Until then, in order to ride at all I require a bike that weighs at least 100 lbs less than the FJR and with a lower center of gravity. My recently acquired 2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor fits the bill very nicely and lifts upright from the sidestand without pain or drama.

#7 · (Edited)
I have been on some narrow county roads for long stretches on the FJR. These road were nearly one lane, poor pavement and bumpy. I got physically tired piloting the FJR down these type of road for extended periods. A smaller bike would be better thus the comments the FJR is too big. We also call them goat trails. Better with a 650 Vstrom than a FJR.

An example of such a road is the Mattole Road in California. The Mattole is much better on an Adventure bike with more suspension travel than an FJR.

#8 ·
I have been on some narrow county roads for long stretches on the FJR. These road were nearly one lane, poor pavement and bumpy. I got physically tired piloting the FJR down these type of road for extended periods. A smaller bike would be better thus the comments the FJR is too big. We also call them goat trails. Better with a 650 Vstrom than a FJR.
This is where I'm at, too.

The FJR isn't too heavy or big if you're doing the type of riding and touring it was primarily designed to do...for that, it's ideal. But given that 95% of my riding is done on winding, often narrow country roads, it has become, after three years of ownership (going into my fourth season w/ my '16), a bit old and tiresome to work that 650-lb. machine through corners for hours on end each ride.

I have my eyes on a bike that, at 150 pounds less, is much better suited to the type of riding I do. In the three years I've owned my FJR, I've never ridden out of my home state. Given that I don't realistically see that changing anytime soon and the aforementioned type of riding I spend my time on, it's past time for a change...not because it's too heavy, per se, but rather that it's simply too heavy *for the type of riding I do.* Had I given that issue more thought at the time I bought the FJR, I likely would have realized it wasn't really the right bike for me...four years later and though I love the bike for what it is, that mismatch has unfortunately become even more clear.

#9 · (Edited)
Earlier generations were undersprung, according to owners. With a gen III/IV, you can load up all your bags and put two full grown adults on it and it will thrash all day, A model or ES. I've put plenty of two-up miles on both.

I think weight is sometimes a concern because the FJR carries the weight rather high..

#11 ·
I have seriously flirted with a Tenere, and can handle the power difference, but concern that they are reported to have even less wind protection than the fjr left me skiddish. I do to many highway miles at cruising speed. If I switch from fjr it’ll be to something that has equal or more wind protection than the fjr. I still think about the Tenere though.

#18 ·
I have seriously flirted with a Tenere, and can handle the power difference, but concern that they are reported to have even less wind protection than the fjr left me skiddish. I do to many highway miles at cruising speed. If I switch from fjr it'll be to something that has equal or more wind protection than the fjr. I still think about the Tenere though.
I am fairly short, 5'8", and I find that my Super Tenere with the OEM screen in the high position, has better wind and rain protection than any of my FJR's, I've had all three generations of them.

#12 ·
It's funny coming over from the ST forum where guys complained about the weight of the ST 1300 at 717 pounds to a forum where the bike is nearly 100 pounds lighter (630 pounds) where the guys are complaining about the weight. But then again, guys complain about the weight of the CB1100 ( 550 pounds) which is nearly 100 pounds lighter than the FJR over on the CB1100 forum too.

Wonder how light motorcycles have to be before riders quit complaining about the weight?

#54 ·
Weight of machines always something....none of us'll be happy until we get our Ironman IIII suit!! Hmmmm..Wonder how heavy parts if they don't fly onto you?

Reactions: lodo
#13 ·
I chuckle too at the guys in Britain who say the CBF1000 is "getting heavy, I'm having problems moving it around in the garage"... 530 lbs. I can wheel that thing around anywhere with ease at my ripe old age, I guess I just don't get it, LOL.

#14 ·
I tended to ignore most of these conversations short of it being so top heavy but today was different. I got my fjr out for the first ride of the season, had to go into town for some parts for a 76 wing I’m working on, so long story short I couldn’t roll the bike up onto the centerstand because of excruciating back pain. Getting off the side stand or swinging a leg over was also excruciating, so once moving I just smiled on my fjr but the time may be here to go a different direction, we’ll see ☹☹

#17 · (Edited)
It seems funny but an even heavier bike might be a solution for many of you with bad knees, hips, spines, arthritis etc
Imho, the most logical replacement should be a DCT Wing, with engine crawl forward and backward, the lowest center of gravity in the industry, reliable, great power, and now no longer in the "couch" category (ok maybe now a smaller sofa ;-P ), the only thing they should have done was to add electric centre stand and maybe the "self balancing" feature, and then it would have been perfect :) ,...at least for you US guys it's (only) 25k, here in Canada we are pushing 32k.
Some complain about Wing being "to much carlike", of course I disagree and as long as they still make them I know that will be my ride, once I can't handle the fjr top heaviness. Unless of course they don't come up with an even better bike. And then get a Tenere or VStrom 650 as a second bike.

#19 ·
I test rode a Super Ten but when I got back to the dealership I couldn't get the side stand deployed. My legs are too short to push it out far enough to catch, it just kept springing back. My son had to walk over and extend it for me so I could climb off. Maybe it was the one I test rode, but it sounded like someone shaking a bucket of bolts.

#20 ·
Yes, all S10's sound like that, I have no idea why, but it doesn't affect their reliability. And all big adventure bikes have a high saddle height, I struggle with that myself, but the S10 is lower than the BMW GS bikes.

#22 ·
Also, full disclosure:

I could care less about straight line top end speed or idiots that take performance to mean being able to do a wheelie at 70 mph lol
1. The FJR carries its weight up high, it is a top heavy beast at low speeds. The FJR is more top heavy than any other motorcycle I ever rode, even the ADV bikes that sit higher manage to have a lower center of gravity.
2. Big Bikes naturally weigh a lot. That is the nature of things. Everything is a compromise.
3. Every motorcycle forum I belong to for every motorcycle I have ever had, has a list of complaints about the weight of whatever bike they ride. I think most folks wouldn't mind if their bikes weighed less.
4. Calling folks idiots because they like a different type of riding or motorcycle is counter productive. I don't wheelie my FJR or any of my other bikes very often but it's always a thrill (and usually a surprise) when I do. I would like for my FJR to be light enough and powerful enough to pull a power wheelie at 70!

I was riding a 1984 Gold Wing at 14 years old. I traded an excellent ST1300 for my FJR. I am used to Big Bikes and don't mind the weight but I can see why a lighter bike would be nice. In fact I rode my DR650 to work this morning and enjoyed how light and nimble it was.

Ride more, stress less.

#23 ·
I had a '13 FJR for three years, added a KLR to the stable for a year or so, enjoyed the "lighter "KLR" especially around town.

Swapped bikes with an inmate for a few hours, his GS my FJR, decided I could sell the FJR and the KLR and do with one bike.

Did the above and have put 30,000 miles on the GS Adv since Jan 2019.

Went to OZ to ride with a Mate in November/December 2019. I rode his Gen 1 FJR while he rode his Tenere.

I couldn't believe how hard the FJR made me work after riding the GS for a year.

The GS ADV purportedly weighs 573# wet, the weight is low, much easier to horse around on tight twisty roads. Some of it is weight, some is the wider bars. I loved my FJR, I love my GS Adv. "Love the one you're with"!

#26 ·
2005 GSXR1000 - check

Standup wheelies at 80 mph *** on an empty highway *** for miles and miles or until oil light came on - check ( done my fair share, still can, just choose not to )

GSXR1000 when playing in the mountains without Wife Inc - check

FJR heaviest bike I've ever had - check

Take offense when folks talk poo about "guys like us" - Nope, not in a couple decades now.

Wheelie the FJR - you know you want to - check

Attachments

#31 ·
Once again I'm going to dissagree with several people. I do not understand why people think the FJR is top heavy. I don't think it is at all. It is a nearly 700# motorcycle, and that makes it heavy to push out of the garage. But I'm a serious speed freak and love curves. And I think it transitions extremely well. Much better than the two 1600gt BMWs I had.

Look at my signature for the other two bikes I own. I frequently ride the three bikes alternating three days in a row and never feel like I'm on a big touring bike when I get on the FJR after the other two. I feel like I've gotten on a SPORT/touring bike.

It's worth pointing out that tires can make a big difference in making a bike feel more or less nimble. As can riding technique.

Reactions: lodo and gilpaul
#33 ·
Once again I'm going to dissagree with several people. I do not understand why people think the FJR is top heavy. I don't think it is at all. It is a nearly 700# motorcycle, and that makes it heavy to push out of the garage. But I'm a serious speed freak and love curves. And I think it transitions extremely well. Much better than the two 1600gt BMWs I had.

Look at my signature for the other two bikes I own. I frequently ride the three bikes alternating three days in a row and never feel like I'm on a big touring bike when I get on the FJR after the other two. I feel like I've gotten on a SPORT/touring bike.

It's worth pointing out that tires can make a big difference in making a bike feel more or less nimble. As can riding technique.
s

Jim I agree that tires make a big difference and I was surprised how easy the FRJ is to ride fast through the twisties. That said you cannot escape the laws of physics. At 640lbs the FJR is a big girl and slow speed stuff can get the bike feeling ponderous. Because of the unsprung weight and poor front suspension it often feels like you are dribbling the front tire down the road. If you were to tell me the front end of your FJR feels at all like the front end of your Panigale or SDGT then I would be shocked. FJR is a great bike but in all honesty it's heavy and dated. With a 30" inseam it's easier for me to manage my wife as a passenger on the back of the taller and 115lbs lighter Multistrada than it is on the FJR. I like the FJR but if I can ride an equal bike that is 120lbs lighter I will take it every time.

#32 ·
Interesting thread … I have an '07 Wing that I've ridden for 12 years. I believe curb weight is about 920lbs. Loaded for a long trip it must be over 950lbs. While I know my '18 FJR weighs about 650lbs, it seems so light, and so easy to turn, it's a dream to ride "spiritedly". Of course, the weight distribution between the two bikes is very different, but slow maneuvers on any bike have to be approached with precision - even a Honda Grom has a tipping point.

What we've ridden before has a lot to do with how heavy we perceive the FJR to be. And any kind of injury is going to make any bike heavier.

#34 ·
When I climb off the FJR and ride the CB 1100, the CB 1100 feels so light and manageable, almost like a super moto. Then I roll out and ride the CB 500x and it's like there is nothing there. I feel like I'm riding a bicycle. For preference in feeling I like the CB 1100 best, then the FJR, and lastly the CB 500. The CB 500 feels too light, almost twitchy, while the FJR feels high, long and heavy.

For what it is, a 630 pound sport tourer, the FJR is pretty light on it's feet once rolling, , but riding something lighter will let you know pretty quickly that the FJR is not a light weight by any means.

There are plenty of guys that can ride an FJR fast in the twisties. I've seen lots of guys that can hustle an ST 1300 thru the twisties too. Even guys that can hustle a Goldwing pretty good. But if you put equal riders one on an FJR and one on a true 600 or litre sport bike and point them down a set of twisty roads, the sport bike rider will eventually walk away from the FJR rider and be much less tired after a day of riding.

It's a great bike, but it's not a sport bike.

Like Donk said.. you can't argue with physics

#36 ·
Anyone feeling their FJR-A front forks are poor need simply upgrade the springs to proper straight rate and I'm sure you'll think differently. The ES guys got their version right from the factory.

#38 ·
I bought the fjr more for touring than sport. Ive done many long days across the plains in high winds. Im wondering how a lighter bike would handle that? Does the heavy bike do better? Ive never owned a light bike, so just asking. I did ride my friends 800 tiger & it felt good around town, but not to sure Id want to be doing the long trips on it.

#40 ·
My issue isn’t to imply my FJR handles as well as my other two bikes. It’s the top heaviness that I don’t agree with. And the battery is not heavy enough or high enough to make a difference. I will not believe anyone who says they can feel it by saving five lbs on a battery.

May some of you old farts are just carrying a lot more weight up high on your bodies that makes you think the FJR feels top heavy and some of us don’t 😂

#41 · (Edited)
Personally speaking, and as I stated previously, I had no issues regarding the FJR's weight prior to my health issue. Especially once upright and moving, the FJR's weight essentially disappeared for me. And I know heavy bikes. I had a Triumph Rocket 3 several years ago and it weighed 800 lbs full of gas. But the Rocket was easy to lift of its side stand because its center of gravity is much lower than the FJR's and I could flat-foot it even with my 28 inch inseam. When my health condition (which involves my lower back) popped up, the initial extra strength needed to simply lift the FJR off its side stand caused much greater pain and that pain led to weakness. I felt so deflated when it first happened and I was worried that my riding days were done. But when I got on either of my SV1000s, I could easily move them upright off their side stands without increasing my pain so I decided to get rid of the FJR and get something a lot lighter. Fortunately, the VFR became available as I made that decision. Now I can ride long distances without fear of dropping it at stops or when trying to lift it off its side stand. Of course, my situation is probably unique so I can only say that it was the best decision for me. How each of us perceives a bike's weight is a very subjective thing.

#42 ·
Personally speaking, and as I stated previously, I had no issues regarding the FJR's weight prior to my health issue. Especially once upright and moving, the FJR's weight essentially disappeared for me. And I know heavy bikes. I had a Triumph Rocket 3 several years ago and weighed 800 lbs full of gas. But the Rocket was easy to lift of its side stand because its center of gravity is much lower than the FJR's and I could flat-foot it even with my 28 inch inseam. When my health condition (which involves my lower back) popped up, the initial extra strength needed to simply lift the FJR off its side stand caused much greater pain and that pain led to weakness. I felt so deflated when it first happened and I was worried that my riding days were done. But when I got on either of my SV1000s, I could easily move them upright off their side stands without increasing my pain so I decided to get rid of the FJR and get something a lot lighter. Fortunately, the VFR became available as I made that decision. Now I can ride long distances without fear of dropping it at stops or when trying to lift it off its side stand. Of course, my situation is probably unique so I can only say that it was the best decision for me. How each of us perceives a bike's weight is a very subjective thing.
How far over a bike sits on the side stand would seem to be the biggest factor. My Superduke hardly leans over at all, which actually makes me nervous if I'm not on a perfectly level surface. I had two 1600 BMWs, and the second one leaned over a noticeably further than the first, and I never figured out why.

On an FJR, especially if you have an ES, how you have the spring preload set makes a difference.

But at the end of the day, the sheer weight is the biggest issue. The older I get, the less I like pushing bikes out of the garage. My riding buddy told me recently I should sit on the bike and walk them back. You would think that after 50 years of riding I would have thought of that. But because it didn't use to be a problem, I really had not thought much about it. I just made sure I was careful. I do walk the FJR back, but don't have to with the other two bikes. I hope that does doesn't come anytime soon!

I certainly understand where you are coming from. Good luck.

Reactions: lodo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.