Helmet preference comfort and noise - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Helmet preference comfort and noise

Good afternoon. Let me start with I understand brand is a personal preference. My old Shoei RF-800 from the late 90s is a bit long of tooth and it's time to invest in a new lid. The two I'm most closely looking at are the Shoei RF1200 and the Shoei GT Air II. Similar in price.

Thanks,
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 06:36 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have a Shoei RF1200 and love it. Great fit, and I don't find it noisy. That being said, I wear ear plugs or ear buds whenever I ride. I've tried other helmet brands and always go back to Shoei. It just seems to fit my block head the best.

Zwartie
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 06:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Check the current helmet poll at Fjriders.com.

Iíve had a new RF1200 recently, and loved it. But I am a diehard modular wearer, and I couldnít enjoy a full face helmet. Nolan and shoei are top of the heap there, but Schuberth and others make nice modulars. I have many miles on nolan and shoei Neotec II modulars. Both are superb. They arenít exactly the same, but theyíre about even.

No helmet is quiet enough to negate the need for earplugs at highway speed. Iíd think itíd be difficult to go wrong with the RF1200 or GT Air 2. But Iíd personally prefer the Nolan n100-5 or shoei Neotec II because of my bias toward modulars.

Good luck whatever you choose. You deserve a quality helmet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick80134 View Post
Good afternoon. Let me start with I understand brand is a personal preference. My old Shoei RF-800 from the late 90s is a bit long of tooth and it's time to invest in a new lid. The two I'm most closely looking at are the Shoei RF1200 and the Shoei GT Air II. Similar in price.

Thanks,
Rick
Versatek6 and Rick80134 like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 07:12 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I went with the GT Air as it fit me better than the RF 1200 . Liner comes out easy for cleaning,built in sun visor . Never considered a modular until the Neotech came out. May try that next.
Rick80134 likes this.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 09:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Most other helmets I had would give me headaches due to various pressure points and weight of the helmet, until I got Schuberth 4yrs ago, great modular (flip up) design, ratcheting buckle, built in visor, light and quiet. One solid German product, that doesn't break down and doesn't have recalls
FjrjrF and Rick80134 like this.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 10:38 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have had a variety of Shoeis, the GT Air is by far my all time favorite. BTW, a few years ago I spent over $800 on a Schuberth, kept it two months, hated it so bad I took a$300 hit selling it and bought the GT Air.

BTW, I also have a Neotec. To me, it and the GT Air feel identical, but the Neotec is a lot louder so I only wear it when on the FJR and in cold weather and know I'll be riding with the windshield raised somewhat. I should point out that neither are the current generation.
Myfjr and Rick80134 like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 06:42 AM
Farkle Trainee

I've got the RF1200 and recently switched to the Neotec II. I didn't realize how much buffeting the 1200 did until I put on the Neotec. For me, it's a world of difference between the two. So much so, I can't go back to the 1200 on this bike. But that's me and my riding position. I'd recommend finding a few friends with different helmets, grab a head sock and try them all - see what works for you.
Rick80134 likes this.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 08:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Most other helmets I had would give me headaches due to various pressure points and weight of the helmet, until I got Schuberth 4yrs ago, great modular (flip up) design, ratcheting buckle, built in visor, light and quiet. One solid German product, that doesn't break down and doesn't have recalls
But Damir, did you have to replace the rear gear in it

Seriously though, Iím currently using a Scorpion GT 3000, itís a modular and itís ok, once itís worn out Iíll probably look at either a Schuberth or a Shoei modular. I had 2 Nolans prior to the Scorpion and I know Bill has had good luck with them but both mine leaked badly in the rain and the last was extremely loud but just in one side (yes I wear ear plugs) enough so that it would make that side ear ring after a bit. Nolan service was not great.

The Scorpion is better but it also leaks in the rain and their customer service while willing to help seem to not be able to fix it either. So Iíll try a Schuberth or shoei next time. My friend just bought a shoei neotech last year and loves it. Weíll see.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 10:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
I have a Schuberth E1 in 3XL that I'm still working on shaving foam off the liner to make it fit. Meanwhile wearing 12 year old Shoei RF1100 in 2XL which is (currently) a perfect fit. The Shoei was tighter when new but loosened on its own.

Inability to get hair cut is not helping the Schuberth situation.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 11:14 AM
FJR Top Gun

I have been wearing the RF line since the RF 200. I am on the 1200 now.

After 30 years I think my head has conformed to the RF shape.

I keep thinking of going to a modular but the extra $100 always leads me back to the RF

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page