Helmet preference comfort and noise - Page 7 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 01:49 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer59 View Post
I know that safety should be first, and foremost when selecting a helmet, but if maximum safety were the only criteria, we would all be wearing high $ carbon fiber, full face, Hi-Vis helmets, with a flashing beacon, and built in air bag (all helmets have a built in air bag, as soon as they're put on. I know mine does!).
I will add a review, after I receive it, and have a chance to use it awhile.
I don't think you can measure a helmet's ability to protect by comparing price tags.

The last editor of Motorcycle Consumer News lost me as a subscriber when he decided to use his pulpit to advocate helmet replacement every 2 years. Then justified his statement saying, "I've seen $700 helmets degrade in weeks." Without stating what "degrade" entailed.

Standards and testing provide a minimal baseline. Beyond that is marketing. But no matter, a helmet that is quiet and comfortable that you wear is better than anything you do not wear.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 09:22 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kim View Post
I went to Cycle Gear last year and lifted Shoei RF 1200 helmet liner to check the date it was manufactured. The year was 2013. Buying a closeout helmet may not be such a good idea as it may be out of date before even purchasing the lid. I heard helmet protection level decreases even though it just sits in a box.
Maybe we should ask the date stamped on the helmet before ordering online or if you buy it locally check the date.
This also applies to tires, rubber degrades over time.
Hi Dan, I agree 100%. My only concern with the closeout helmet was the date of manufacture. I planned to return it if the helmet was super old but the born on date on my helmet is March 2019, about the same as all the helmets I saw in the store.

2009 FJR1300A
2006 YZF600R (Sold)
2018 Subaru WRX
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 12:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have a Schuberth C3 Lite. I have worn it for a year. I love the features but I must not have a Schuberth head. Itís not a matter of discomfort. Itís painful in the forehead and 2 spots at the crown. I kept waiting for the magic break-in and being the most comfortable helmet ever. It didnít happen for me. Iíll be going back to Shoei, probably RF-SR. I tried one on and it was lovely. In my opinion, if you buy a Schuberth, wear it inside your home until you are sure itís for you. My $0.02.

2013 FJR1300A #337

post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 01:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERJr View Post
I have a Schuberth C3 Lite. I have worn it for a year. I love the features but I must not have a Schuberth head. It’s not a matter of discomfort. It’s painful in the forehead and 2 spots at the crown. I kept waiting for the magic break-in and being the most comfortable helmet ever. It didn’t happen for me. I’ll be going back to Shoei, probably RF-SR. I tried one on and it was lovely. In my opinion, if you buy a Schuberth, wear it inside your home until you are sure it’s for you. My $0.02.
If you are getting a hotspot on your forehead I would recommend you try on a Arai Signet X. It has a long oval shape. I have had a number of helmets over the years including several Shoeis and they all caused a red spot on my forehead. I believe Arai is the only major manufacturer to make certain models with a long oval shape. Had a couple Arai Signet series helmets now and wouldn’t even consider another helmet as comfort is paramount. Unfortunately Arai is on the pricey end of helmets.

2016 ES
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 07:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If Iím paying full price for a helmet, I want one thatís of fairly recent manufacture. That said, I donít worry a bit about a helmet degrading in the box, when itís stored in a climate controlled warehouse or shop. Actual use and exposure to temp extremes contribute to wear. They donít melt sitting in the factory box on the shop shelf.
SmashVol likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 07:13 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Ive been using a Neotec2 for the past year and I give it a 9/10 for comfort, 8/10 for visibility, 9/10 for fit and finish, and 7/10 for noise.

Compared to my Nolan N33, I give it 9/10 for comfort, 10/10 for visibility, 7/10 for fit and finish, and 8/10 for noise.

The Nolan is lighter, better for hot weather and visibility, the Shoei is better for protection. The Neotec2 also looks cooler, colour matches my bike and has integrated Sena headset.

2018 FRJ1300ES Matte Cobalt Metallic Blue
post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 07:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

No helmet can protect your hearing from the over-pressure of the air over your ears when riding. Ear plugs are a must to save your hearing.
nunia720 likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 05:06 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I do have squid tendencies so I usually ride w/out a helmet. That being said, ear protection is a must for me or I will regret it. Especially after long rides at highway speed. The only time I do not ride w/out ear protection, whether it be a helmet, ear plugs or headphones is when I really want 2 hear what the bike is doing and sounding like. That usually means I suspect a problem so they are short trips.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500
post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 10:03 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

No worries about going lidless. It's self-correcting.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page