Helmet preference comfort and noise - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 03:29 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

DOT self test is a joke. About 20% of the helmets can't pass the DOT test and rarely is anybody checking the Manufacturers. Ryan F9 has a good video on DOT Standards. See the video at the 7 minute mark but the entire video is interesting.
When I think of DOT I think of Boeing and 737Max where there is oversight but the FAA was buying what Boeing was selling. Bad move. Snell on the other hand is completely independent.

Composite shells have superior impact flexibility, which spreads the force across a wider area of EPS foam vs Poly shells. Fortnine has a good run down on helmet materials.

Ryan F9 has a background in Physics.
georgepittenger and Haynes like this.

Last edited by SpokaneJim; 04-11-2020 at 03:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 08:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yepper, it’s all about the head shape, I’ve had a couple of hjc’s over the years and while I liked the helmets they were not comfy wearing a bald spot on the top/front part of my head and that pressure point would give me a severe headache after a bit, but my brother who has a very round head loves his with zero problems, but he’s bald and shaves any remaining hair anyway.

The scorpion gt3000 modular I currently have fits me the most comfortably (best shape) of any helmet I’ve ever owned (12-14hrs) but the rain coming through the seals tends to dampen �� my love for this helmet. I guess I would classify as a football shaped head.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 04-11-2020 at 08:52 AM.
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 08:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There are those who say Snell approved helmets won't "give" enough in the foam to let it absorb an impact like it "should" whatever that means. Doesn't mean DOT does either. ECE on the other hand might be the answer. Or move to a growing list of states that require no helmet at all.
Currently wearing an AGV Sportmodular Carbon, also have Shoei Neotec which I liked a lot. Both very spendy also. Lotsa cheap helmets out there.
How many accidents happened where one could say, it was only DOT, if it had been Snell or ECE he'd still be alive?
St4sal and Haynes like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 09:36 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I actually have a SNELL Approved MODULAR for m LS2
I don't wear it but I keep as a memento

OP Wearing a helmet for 30 years is not a good idea therefore any helmet would be an improvement.

My opinion is that any helmet that fits properly( regardless Of brand) is a better helmet than a name brand that doesn't fit as well. In other words the helmet has to stay in position on your head, during the get off YMMV
RaYzerman, passx and the Ferret like this.
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 02:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

In general terms, the best helmet is the one that:
1. has the best fit for your head shape
2. has the features you want
3. is within your budget

I have an Arai Corsair X - it fits my noggin really well, it's comfortable, it's quiet, and eight parts of the interior can be removed for cleaning or replacement, which will extend it's life. I was lucky to be able to buy it for half price in mid-2018, otherwise it would not have met criteria #3.
JohnC and the Ferret like this.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 06:24 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have owned and dissected ECE and US versions of the same helmet. There was zero difference inside or out. I think there are differences in some helmets between the US version and the Euro version. But for a particular manufacturer and a specific model, Iíve satisfied my curiousity- bought ECE from chromeburner and DOT from the local store. I had two of the exact same helmet except for one sticker.

I would not, and do not, hesitate to use a helmet that is DOT, SNELL, or ECE rated. As long as itís a well known brand, I could care less which of the three ratings a helmet I like carries.

I support the right to choose among the certifications for those
that prefer or are required to use one over the other.

Wear a good lid. If you wear a good
lid that fits your head, youíll ride
more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
There are those who say Snell approved helmets won't "give" enough in the foam to let it absorb an impact like it "should" whatever that means. Doesn't mean DOT does either. ECE on the other hand might be the answer. Or move to a growing list of states that require no helmet at all.
Currently wearing an AGV Sportmodular Carbon, also have Shoei Neotec which I liked a lot. Both very spendy also. Lotsa cheap helmets out there.
How many accidents happened where one could say, it was only DOT, if it had been Snell or ECE he'd still be alive?
passx likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 07:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneJim View Post
DOT self test is a joke. About 20% of the helmets can't pass the DOT test and rarely is anybody checking the Manufacturers. Ryan F9 has a good video on DOT Standards. See the video at the 7 minute mark but the entire video is interesting. Video. When I think of DOT I think of Boeing and 737Max where there is oversight but the FAA was buying what Boeing was selling. Bad move. Snell on the other hand is completely independent.

Composite shells have superior impact flexibility, which spreads the force across a wider area of EPS foam vs Poly shells. Fortnine has a good run down on helmet materials.

Ryan F9 has a background in Physics.
The article reads like he is in marketing promoting buzzwords as a means of determining superior product. Until the very last paragraph:

The important thing to remember is that advanced materials do not imply advanced safety; a plastic lid can be just as safe as some space-aged helmet. The difference is that the plastic model uses more volume and weight to achieve the same results. If youíre going down, there wonít be much difference between the two. When youíre riding, however, your neck will thank you for a lighter helmet.
But still making generalizations. The helmet must be tested as a whole. Can not judge by material.

FJR has aluminum chassis. So does GL1800. Therefore FJR and GL1800 are just alike? I think not. Is good to know details because sometimes that explains something. But most often it is as irrelevant as to whether it is blue or red.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 08:42 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
We use HJC modular. But I think the new generation for Some high end helmets has like a helmet inside a helmet that has hourglass cushions between surfaces designed to reduce torsional forces in an accident. I think they use the same design in NFL football helmets.

Weldteach
2005 FJR1300
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 09:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think you're going to see higher tech innards that cushion impacts better, such as they are doing with football, bicycle and hockey helmets. Agree with Bill, wear something with a sticker on it. I prefer a modular, have had cheapies that I know would lose their chinbars in a crash (my old Scorpio EXO-900 had a wee screw as the hinge, a joke). DOT does not require testing of the chinbar. The Shoei, and the AGV Sportmodular carbon in particular have superior hinge mechanisms and metal latches.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 10:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

I much prefer the RF1200 tp the GT Air. Own both never wear the Air. I have worn the RF1200 for 20 out of 24 hours on numerous occasions and for days in a row. The GT Air seams uncomfortable at highway speeds, always feels like itís trying to rip my head off. I recently got an HJC RPHA 11 Pro and itís another great helmet. Itís lighter and less expensive than the Shoei

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page