Helmet preference comfort and noise - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 12:32 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have had several Schuberth C3s and they are a very good fit - for me, as they suit the shape of my head. I have tried helmets that do not touch on the sides as they are designed for a rounder head. So the best thing to do is go to a shop that has a huge range of helmets and keep trying until you find one that fits you well.

2018 Phantom Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 12:35 PM
FJR Top Gun

Can't help with your decision, I'm an HJC guy. Have been for years. They just fit me.

Up the road near Columbus Ohio, there is a company called Iron Pony. An acc super store as big as a super Walmart. You can try on about any helmet. Bell, Arai, Shoei, Schuberth, Nolan Shark, HJC etc etc. I've tried on them all and the HJC fits me the best. The worst for me was the Scuberth.

https://www.ironpony.com/

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Agreed -- if only shops were open where I could try on several. Motorcycle shops here are limited to curbside service only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linton West View Post
I have had several Schuberth C3s and they are a very good fit - for me, as they suit the shape of my head. I have tried helmets that do not touch on the sides as they are designed for a rounder head. So the best thing to do is go to a shop that has a huge range of helmets and keep trying until you find one that fits you well.

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I just upgraded from a RF1000 to a RF1200 and love the new helmet. Too bad you can't go try them on right now. Maybe wait until you can? I went to a local Cycle Gear store a couple months back and tried a bunch of helmets on but ended up buying another Shoei. There was a Bell that fit me really well but it was noticeably bulkier/heavier than the Shoei which was the deal breaker. If you like Shoei and know your size you can't really go wrong with the RF1200. If you have a smaller head Cycle Gear has a RF1200 Trooper on closeout, but anything bigger than medium is sold out. I bought mine (Recounter style) on closeout from them and got it $40 cheaper than the regular solid color.
mobilemike likes this.

2009 FJR1300A
2006 YZF600R (Sold)
2018 Subaru WRX
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
But Damir, did you have to replace the rear gear in it

Seriously though, I’m currently using a Scorpion GT 3000, it’s a modular and it’s ok, once it’s worn out I’ll probably look at either a Schuberth or a Shoei modular. I had 2 Nolans prior to the Scorpion and I know Bill has had good luck with them but both mine leaked badly in the rain and the last was extremely loud but just in one side (yes I wear ear plugs) enough so that it would make that side ear ring after a bit. Nolan service was not great.
The Scorpion is better but it also leaks in the rain and their customer service while willing to help seem to not be able to fix it either. So I’ll try a Schuberth or shoei next time. My friend just bought a shoei neotech last year and loves it. We’ll see.

But Damir, did you have to replace the rear gear in it
Ha,ha no just the water pump recall so far

My friend just bought a shoei neotech last year and loves it. We’ll see.

Yes finding a good helmet is totally "head shape" dependent, the problem is they are non returnable due to hygiene (and now COVID) and it's not easy to spend over a grand to find out it's not the right helmet
passx likes this.
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 02:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Inability to get hair cut is not helping the Schuberth situation.
don't complain about having (too much) hair
N4HHE and the Ferret like this.
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 02:21 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linton West View Post
+1 on C3
every bike store should have a "motorcycle simulator" that would bounce and toss you around for 15min at least, I find that just trying it on static, it's hard to tell, and then you try so many and get confused properly
passx likes this.
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 02:29 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Presently I have a HJC FG-17. This is a good composite helmet with a SNELL rating for about $160 on Revzilla and Amazon has a wider selection. Bottom line if you are a cheap SOB, like me, this helmet has the best bang for the buck. I have had mine for 4 years.

See webBikeWorld for a review. I can't post links yet cause I still have training wheels here.

Things I don't like. Size XL will not fit on the saddle bag. I usually were a large helmet. The tinted visor does not block UV well and I need to wear suntan lotion if heading into the sun most of the day. My old Aria blocked UV.

Things I like about it are price. Shields are much less expensive than Arai or Shoei. Liners are replaceable and easily removed. Vents, shield, pin lock shields and liners are easy to find and not expensive.

As it is 4 years old I have looked around and like the Shoei RF1200.

The fit of modular helmets do not appeal to me or I haven't found one I like. This makes me an odd ball and that is fine.

I also like Snell rated buckets. Composite shells distribute impact energy better than poly shells. Poly helmets are right on out. (Monte Python joke).
Bill Lumberg likes this.
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 09:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneJim View Post
Presently I have a HJC FG-17. This is a good composite helmet with a SNELL rating for about $160 on Revzilla and Amazon has a wider selection. Bottom line if you are a cheap SOB, like me, this helmet has the best bang for the buck. I have had mine for 4 years.
Am not sure I have as much respect for Snell as you. On the positive side Snell insists on testing helmets in Snell labs or a few approved independent labs such as ETL. DOT allows the manufacturer to self-certify.

On the downside Snell thinks the harder the helmet the better. They don't want the helmet to break at G-forces in excess of those which turn your brain into oatmeal.

Quote:
Things I don't like. Size XL will not fit on the saddle bag. I usually were a large helmet. The tinted visor does not block UV well and I need to wear suntan lotion if heading into the sun most of the day. My old Aria blocked UV.
I put a 2XL Shoei RF1100 with Cardo Packtalk Bold in my sidecases.

Quote:
Things I like about it are price. Shields are much less expensive than Arai or Shoei. Liners are replaceable and easily removed. Vents, shield, pin lock shields and liners are easy to find and not expensive.
Have 70,000 miles on RF1100's original face shield. It has a ding but not where I notice while riding. Am careful when cleaning not to scrub bugs into the plastic. People think I'm funny to spray cleaner on the plastic then rub it in with my fingers before wiping off with cloth. But with fingers I feel the bugs and can rub lightly until the bug comes off or carefully scrape with fingernail.

Quote:
The fit of modular helmets do not appeal to me or I haven't found one I like. This makes me an odd ball and that is fine.
My Schuberth E1 is my first modular but I don't have it fitting my head just yet. Presses on forehead, holding eyebrows down making it hard to keep eyes open. Wiggle the helmet and get eyebrows held up by the helmet but things shift and once again they are being pressed down.

Quote:
I also like Snell rated buckets. Composite shells distribute impact energy better than poly shells. Poly helmets are right on out. (Monte Python joke).
As a retired mechanical-educated engineer I say you want things to crush and break on impact. Only in crushing and breaking is the energy dissipated, otherwise everything is a spring so all energy stored is reflected (which is why suspension has shock absorbers). You get hit with the force of coming to a stop then it hits you again as things spring back into the original shape. Is not something you can "look at" and conclude any material or design is better than another. Is something that has to be built and tested.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 01:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick80134 View Post
Good afternoon. Let me start with I understand brand is a personal preference. My old Shoei RF-800 from the late 90s is a bit long of tooth and it's time to invest in a new lid. The two I'm most closely looking at are the Shoei RF1200 and the Shoei GT Air II. Similar in price.

Thanks,
Rick
Gmax GM54S
Modular, adjustable sun shade, metal fittings.
Below $200.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page