Sena Bluetooth phone conversation? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 07:59 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I have the Sena 30K, no complaints, I easily got use to a couple of it's quirks.
Mainly used for the bluetooth connection to my cell phone where I can listen to my music, directions from the MapQuest App, occasional phone use (incoming calls and dialing out).

A couple road trips per year using 2-way or 3-way comms with other riders.

I use voice commands such as:
"music" (to toggle between "on" and "off")
"speed dial" (followed by me saying the speed dial number, I think I have 3 stored)
"check battery"

I can probably communicate with Siri on my iPhone too but I haven't tried that yet.
Rick80134 likes this.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 09:25 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have the SMH5 too, works fine for me, integrated with phone, GPS and wife. I don't need or want to talk to 16 people. Would be nice if battery lasted longer when playing music, but for the price, good enough.
Rick80134 likes this.

2015 FJR1300A
2003 Hayabusa
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 12:03 PM
JHH
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I have an SMH10 Sena. This unit works great. Pairs well with others I have been using it now for 7 years. No problems in 100 Deg. to 20 Deg. wind, rain, sand storms, hail storms, and Cardo on wifes helmet.
I use this for music, music sharing, incoming calls, maps, and 1 to 4 way conversations.
Cons
The speakers do not have much bass and the communications are fine as long as you are in line of site. I know it is supposed to affect it but it does. So if you ride in twisty mountain roads and are spaced apart you loose Coms. with other riders.

Pros
When riding with a group on a multiple day trip and someone makes a wrong turn they can call you so you can regroup. We don't always set final destinations since the scenery my dictate a great place to camp.
Rick80134 likes this.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 04:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Sena 20S here, great device, like farmer_frank said, when answering phone calls people usually tell me how clear they can hear me. Everything work seamlessly, FM radio, mp3 from my phone, phone calls, talking to other riders in a group,... 2 yrs later no complains.

On my daily rides commuting to work or talking with my wife on long rides, the 20S is great. If you look at consumer ratings general, the 20S is rated higher.

Really long battery life and you can even charge it and update your firmware on this cradle. They do software updates maybe three times a years to increase functionality and quality. Around Seattle, Sena has displaced Cardo regarding what dealers are carrying and what you see on the streets. If you do group rides, Sena is strongest

With their introduction of the 30S and this newer headset, you can get the 20S on sale. I recommend a pair if you ride 2-up with the spouse or significant other. Being able to talk on the ride is huge for getting them on the bike.

My only gripe: Wish they would have even better integration with my Samsung Galaxy to do more voice commands (like play music to activate Samsung Music off of my smartphone).

Very very happy. Going on third year riding with our pair of Sena 20s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191102-210721.jpg (105.9 KB, 6 views)
Damir and Rick80134 like this.

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 07:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have a 20 and 20S, and an ancient SMH-10 somewhere. Sena is one of those names like Garmin. Some like them, some think they're evil. My history with them has been mixed. That said...

In the Sena line, I have yet to hear of anyone who's happy they have a 30K. It seems to be a bad implementation of a network system coming into use. Particularly if you ride alone or with only a couple of other folks, there's zero need for the 30.

The 20S is a slightly tuned up 20. There's no need for a pop-up FM antenna, and supposedly the Bluetooth (BT) antenna is somehow better. Having both, staying in contact with the one person I ride with (another bike), there's no difference. Otherwise, they're so similar the firmware updates have been the same for both units. Having a 20 doesn't mean giving up anything that matters.

As to living with the thing, it's pretty much transparent. It works, I don't need to fiddle with it, I just turn it on and go. But... pairing, even with another Sena unit, is a PITA. Maybe it's a user thing, maybe it's a Sena thing. It's been a non-stop PITA. Connecting with phones, GPS' is no problem. Follow the steps in the book, and life is good. One of the details that is "wouldn't think of it if you didn't have it" is the ambient mic. That is, enable the mic and hear the outside world with needing to take off your helmet, or sound like a fool from trying to figure out what someone's saying. There is a small tip with the mic. It's next to the charging port. Close the port's cover, and the mic can't hear anything. Leaving the cover open isn't a biggie except in real rain.

Rain... hoo! I've worn my 20 in serious, frog-choker rain on I-95 with no problem from the 20. Some people report they drown in a heavy dew. I have no good answer for this except I think the 20 has some attempt at seals. NTL Sena doesn't say the 20,S or 30K are weatherproof. YMMV

I bought the 20 because of a couple of things I didn't like about the SMH-10 (very scary, too ready to let go mount, for example). The 20 mount is solid and the 20 isn't going anywhere except in a dump. (the SMH-10 cannot work on a 20 mount or vice versa). I bought the 20S out of "It's later, therefore it's better" non-thinking. Silly me.

Now, all of that said, Cardos do well in reviews. I haven't owned or used one. My opinion on that would be worthless.

AFAIK, the Cardo battery isn't user replaceable. The Sena battery is, for sure not user replaceable but... There are a few YT vids on how to replace the battery. It takes care, patience, and a little willingness to make something fit with some "customization". It's that or pay Sena for a battery change. I've done the job without too much trauma. Look at the videos and decide.

Otherwise, I've needed no support on the 20. I have reported issues to Sena with zero feedback. That's annoying but doesn't keep me grounded. Meh.
FJRChuck likes this.

I used to think I probably knew what I was doing. Now I know I probably know what I'm doing. Which doesn't say I always knew what I was doing or always know what I'm doing. You know what I'm saying?
-
'17 FJR 1300ES
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks all.. narrowing it down to 20s or Cardo. Reading about the Cardo, the quality of speakers may be a bit higher.
Rick
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 07:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

IMHO, at anything above 25-30, your ears aren't in for a HiFi experience...
FjrjrF likes this.

I used to think I probably knew what I was doing. Now I know I probably know what I'm doing. Which doesn't say I always knew what I was doing or always know what I'm doing. You know what I'm saying?
-
'17 FJR 1300ES
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Hi fi... no, sure. More full range (frequency response) Makes voices (calls and map instructions) easier to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
IMHO, at anything above 25-30, your ears aren't in for a HiFi experience...
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 10:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Actually, no. Almost all speaking voices fill the range of frequencies from about 350 to 4000 Hz. Women are typically an octave above men's voices and kids' voices are, surprise, higher than that. NTL, topping 4 KHz is unlikely. Harmonics are, of course, above that. But the basic info is not that full range. Harmonics do have a very real role, but if the idea is hear a GPS or even phone call, broad range speakers don't count for much.

My point about speakers in helmets is they're not worth obsessing about. As long as they don't squeak and buzz, and have usable volume, life is good. No matter at what age.

-
'17 FJR 1300ES
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 10:35 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have the SRL2 on my current helmet which is based on the 20S Evo and had a 10S before that in my last helmet. Audio quality on both is fine for phone calls, music and intercom, so long as you enable the HD audio option, but I find the controls on the SRL2 are really difficult to use as even when wearing summer gloves it's quite difficult to feel which button I'm pressing. The 10S was much easier to use.

Also, the SRL2 battery life is crap compared to the 10S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page