FJR Owners Forum banner

Thinking of Going Lighter

171K views 1K replies 144 participants last post by  Boomer59 
#1 ·
Here we go again but now it’s my turn. I love the FJR but I’m thinking of going to something lighter. Would like to stay sport touring as I already have the Multis. Bike must have cruise, windshield and bags. I wish someone else made an R1200R or RS than BMW. Sort of what I’m thinking but do not want to own a beemer. Ducati Supersport is ok but the bags are tiny and no cruise. Any thought or suggestions?

#69 ·
Have owned and rode the crap out of both. Went back to an FJR. The Tenere was great when I had access to forest service roads but once I moved back to the midwest it was an incredibly boring bike. FJR is a much better pavement muncher.

Reactions: Donk
#3 ·
To get down to 500-ish lbs., you'll have to go with smaller displacement in most cases. But what you'll find is 100 hp and 500 lbs. is just as fast and a bit more fun. Too bad you can't get a CBF1000 as it was never imported into the US. I'm currently riding that and it's a blast... not missing my FJR all that much.
Try the Tracer GT, got the cruise and good suspension.... a little taller, but you can work with that.... I think it's got lots of room to lower it an inch (there is a factory kit). Uses FJR bags if you like, fit right on. It's still on my radar.

#5 · (Edited)
Here we go again but now it's my turn. I love the FJR but I'm thinking of going to something lighter. Would like to stay sport touring as I already have the Multis. Bike must have cruise, windshield and bags. I wish someone else made an R1200R or RS than BMW. Sort of what I'm thinking but do not want to own a beemer. Ducati Supersport is ok but the bags are tiny and no cruise. Any thought or suggestions?
Here's a review of the Tracer GT

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/07/17/2019-yamaha-tracer-900-gt-review-22-fast-facts/

My son had the previous Gen with factory bags and trunk installed. If you are under 5'10" it can be a stretch to the ground with a nearly 34" seat height. At 5' 5 1/2" my feet dangled on both sides when sitting on it. He thought it was an OK bike, didn't excite him like he thought it would and ended up trading it in on an MT-10.

I wish someone else (Honda or Yamaha) made the R1200R too lol.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm in the same "lighter" boat. Due to a recent development in my health and my shortness (28 inch inseam), my FJR just became too much of a handful. I recently traded it + quite a bit of cash for a cherry 2008 Honda VFR 800. It's seat height is roughly the same as the FJR with the seat in the lowest position but the VFR's seat is narrower. The VFR also has a much lower center of gravity which makes it feel much lighter than it's roughly 100 lbs lower weight would indicate. Although it's bars are much lower, it's really comfortable for me ergonomically. Plus it came with Throttlemeister bar ends.

Attachments

#12 ·
Oh, LOL, you got one of THOSE.... V-Tecs that is... I got the good one, picked it up at Christmas time, giving it a refurb as we speak........ I sat on a '15, wasn't speaking to me... anyway, always wanted one never thought of it as a sport tourer, but surprisingly the riding position doesn't seem that bad once you put bar risers on. I haven't really gone anywhere yet, but shakedown rides coming up. Alledgedly it weighs 535 lbs.... scored a Russell seat for cheap, unbelievable somebody would put one on a VFR. I'm told the Sargents are good on that bike.

#9 ·
Here we go again but now it's my turn. I love the FJR but I'm thinking of going to something lighter. Would like to stay sport touring as I already have the Multis. Bike must have cruise, windshield and bags. ... Any thought or suggestions?
Kawasaki Versys? It comes in 650cc and 1000cc, with an LT (Light Touring) model in each size. Those versions have windshield and bags, not sure about cruise control - if not, there are aftermarket products. The 1000 LT SE has cruise control https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2...LEDETAILS-_-COMPARABLEMODELS-_-VEHICLEDETAILS

Good luck in your search!

#14 ·
Working down from the top, and please remember, as I said I already have a pair of Multistrada or is plural Multistradi so looking for something more sport than AdvT

Super Tenere is the most underwhelming bike I ever rode.

I try to love the Tracer GT but somehow it feels too budget. If you put several thousand into suspension it would be a big step in the right direction.

Triumph may be a decent bike. I’ll give it a year or 2. They are famous for year 1 issues. If I could get a new 2011 Sprint GT I would buy it in a heartbeat. Had one loved it rode the heck out of it. In fact I would sacrifice cruise if a minty used one came my way. Good idea if in a round about way.

Versus is a non starter. Just don’t care for it. The Ninja 1000 is on the radar though. They finally added cruise, the bags are huge, and it has decent power to weight plus it’s sport touring.

The VFR May be a decent choice and there are new leftovers sitting on dealers floor for cheap. Have to check one out.

Thanks for the input guys, please keep the ideas coming. Not like we can do much else right now.

#15 · (Edited)
....The VFR May be a decent choice and there are new leftovers sitting on dealers floor for cheap. Have to check one out....
Indeed Donk! Check out this new old stock Interceptor Deluxe: https://www.ycpowersportslake.com/N...terceptor-DLX-YC-Powersports-4196215?ref=list

Craigslist Ad: https://loz.craigslist.org/mcd/d/osage-beach-new-2015-honda-vfr800/7099149561.html

I asked them what their OTD price would be and they said it was $8,200.00 OTD.

Only thing it has missing is the hard bags. But there are some nice ones for sale on my local Craigslist: https://springfield.craigslist.org/mpo/d/springfield-8th-gen-vfr800-panniers/7094463006.html

And yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on that Interceptor if you couldn't tell. :grin2:

#16 ·
What about the older Honda Superhawks? On my bucket list for bike #3 once I get my detached garage up.

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks @oldbaldsob I will check it out. A friend of a friend rode his out to WI from NY last summer and the fit and finish on the bike was amazing. Not sure about the V-Tech the one time I rode one it was a little off and on. I guess like anything else you get used to it.

Here's my answer to Ray's yellow bike! Ducati has always gotten the light weight thing down pretty good.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/mcy/d/naples-2007-ducati-st3/7092096638.html

I just took a quick look at it. The DLX is the way to go. Gives all the features I'd want. I didn't see whether the bike comes with a centerstand or not? Always a nice feature on a chain drive bike. It's a lot of bike for the money that's for sure. Definitely worth a bit more research. I wish Throrrlemeister was still in business.

Went so far as to list the FJR for sale here on the forum but that's as far as I'm going right now

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks @oldbaldsob I will check it out. A friend of a friend rode his out to WI from NY last summer and the fit and finish on the bike was amazing. Not sure about the V-Tech the one time I rode one it was a little off and on. I guess like anything else you get used to it....
I just took a quick look at it. The DLX is the way to go. Gives all the features I'd want. I didn't see whether the bike comes with a centerstand or not? Always a nice feature on a chain drive bike. It's a lot of bike for the money that's for sure. Definitely worth a bit more research. I wish Throrrlemeister was still in business.

Went so far as to list the FJR for sale here on the forum but that's as far as I'm going right now
Yeah, the deluxe is definitely what you want with the ABS, traction control, heated grips, and LED headlights. The new VFRs do indeed have centerstands too. And the V-Tec transition has been eliminated on the 8th Gen VFRs. Honda even has a quickshifter available for it. Wish they came in silver with black frames like they did in Europe. Nice looking bikes.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

#21 ·
A bike not a lot of folks give credit to is the Kaw Versys 1000LT or the new Versys 1000LT SE. My FJR keeps getting heaver each year and I can't figure it out, so I went and found me a Versys 1000LT SE which is about 80lbs lighter. And for me , just as fast. Of course I still have my 2014 FJR. Just could not part with it yet. I also have 2013 V-Strom, but that is a different type of ride. Good luck on what you choose as any bike you pick will be fine. Just find one that fits your likes needs and wants. Your money , your bike.

Attachments

#23 ·
A bike not a lot of folks give credit to is the Kaw Versys 1000LT or the new Versys 1000LT SE. My FJR keeps getting heaver each year and I can't figure it out, so I went and found me a Versys 1000LT SE which is about 80lbs lighter. And for me , just as fast.
Chuck what do you think of the Kawi seat? A buddy of mine just bought one and thinks it's the worst he has ever sat on. He is coming off a Suzuki DL1000.

#24 · (Edited)
@oldbaldsob did you buy a VFR yet?

Wish I could get the picture of the ST3 from the Craigslist link I posted to insert here but I can't figure out how
I did Donk!
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Below is the ST3 from your Craigslist link. I copied the link that is in the top of the page when you click on the image. Then I inserted it into this post by clicking on the little box with the mountains on it in the tools section when you compose a post.

#25 ·
Another bike to add for this discussion is a new model from BMW. F900 xr. It's comparable to the Yam 900 GT. Because it's a BMW you could have all the electronic extras if needed. It looks like wind protection is marginal, but side cases are available. It's a twin cylinder with uneven firing order. Probably not as exciting as the Yam 3 cylinder. Will have to wait and see.

#26 · (Edited)
Thanks for getting the picture of the ST3 up. Sure is pretty isn’t it? Only issue is as much as know them and I like them and know of plenty of high mileage ones old Ducatis can be like old girlfriends. All I have to say.

Not a fan of the rondel. Too many horror stories, not just the bikes but the dealer and corporate attitude when there is a problem. Recently BMW switched to Hayes front calipers. My friend brought home a new GSA a month ago. Next morning saw a puddle by the front tire. Called the dealer and was told BMW is having issues with all the Hayes calipers and it would be 3-4 months before they can do anything we will put you on the wait list, have a nice day. Called corporate and they said your check cleared so we don’t care. Thanks no BMWs for me.

We just got a nice 939 Hyperstrada in at the shop. Wasn’t on the radar but it does check a lot of boxes. Not sure what you call it, not an AdvTouring bike, not a sport touring bike? A naked with bags and a small windshield? In the past I’ve talked to people who tour on them and I always thought they were nuts but they swore by them and they all said they were great travel bikes? Maybe in a VStrom sort of way? It is lighter than most bikes in that 800-900 class. Just not sure what to make of it.

#29 ·
Thanks for getting the picture of the ST3 up. Sure is pretty isn't it? Only issue is as much as know them and I like them and know of plenty of high mileage ones old Ducatis can be like old girlfriends. All I have to say....
Is is a beautiful bike. I gotta admit though, all Ducatis are sexy. I've always wanted a Monster but the high maintenance costs scare me away. Maybe when I retire and have more time to tinker, I'll grab one and learn how to do desmodronic valve adjustments.

#28 · (Edited)
I’m in the same boat, and before everything shut down test rode five bikes after researching a dozen or so for the last half-year. The bikes I tested were all 2020s and were the new Ninja 1000SX, BMW R1250R, BMW R1250RS, Triumph Speed Triple, Honda CB1000R, and Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. Sat on many, including the Mutistrada and Monster from Ducati, the MT-10, the BMW S1000XR. As soon as the businesses reopen around here, a R1250R will likely be parked in my garage in place of my FJR. It’s not everything I’d wish my perfect bike to have (and it’s certainly more than I’d prefer to spend) but it’s closer than anything else I could find on the market today.

#34 ·
My VFR spin..... suspension is OK as is, EZ to put new fork springs in. Rear shock upgrade optional. I don't want VTEC (tweaked I think '06, fixed '12 or '14). Wanted the gear driven cams.. 1998-2001 not that many miles on them, price is absolutely right, will last you forever. I don't think the newish ones look all that great, although not bad either, just a little less character. Gen5 rules!

#35 ·
Just brought home a KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT.
About 150lbs less than my FJR ES. Riding positions close to being the same, except narrower between the knees, and that's easier on my hips. Suspension is leaps and bounds better than the fjr, thanks to the semi active shock and forks.
All the safety nannies are a notch more advanced as well.
Only draw backs are less storage under the seat, slightly smaller bags, no center stand and getting used to chain maintenance (although adjusting the chain is ezpz).

Attachments

#39 ·
A riding friend of mine has one of those. The factory front brake pads lasted only 12k miles and are brembo so huge money from a dealer. The same brakes as several Ducs. The EXUP valve failed putting the bike into limp mode. It would not go faster than 60mph until fixed. The cool thing is thee is a bypass fix similar to the R1 setup. He had to utilize that in order to ride the thing 1200 miles home. KTM replaced the exhaust valve complete unit on warranty.

#37 · (Edited)
T

YUP! I had an '11 Sprint GT and I think I did the same kind of mileage, about 30,000 in 15 months. It was just a great bike and if I could find a clean, low mileage, unmolested one I'd own it again. That bike just worked for me. Even without a big electric windshield and more forward lean I could ride that bike tirelessly. **** pretty bike too. I must admit I am partial to the GT over the ST but both are great. @hANNAbONE you might be on to something!
@Acpantera good luck with the KTM. Great ride. Really comfy. People don't realize that the Super Duke GT has the same wheelbase as an RT. It's a really nice ride. Kind of spanks the RT when it comes to fun factor. Modern chains are easy, no hassle at all.

#38 · (Edited)