Thinking of Going Lighter - Page 8 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 262 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 02:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_station_zebra View Post
Any thoughts on the tracer's suitability for touring two-up?
Lots of room on the bike if you and your pillion are small in stature
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02a7b4aed2194e737ba7bcd3850f2bc3.jpg (127.0 KB, 18 views)
ice_station_zebra likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 262 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 03:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Talk about light! Stumbled across this beauty yesterday:

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/d...101907556.html

Helibars would be a must and yeah, it's not one would call a sport-tourer by any means. But I owned an R6 for awhile and rode it 800 miles one day and loved it. I thought it was extremely comfortable. The GSXR 750 is a good 200 lbs. lighter than an FJR.
passx and Donk like this.

1996 Honda Nighthawk 750 project bike (fixed and running)
2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES (sold)
2008 Honda VFR 800 (sold)
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
2005 Suzuki SV1000S (crashed and rebuilt)

Last edited by oldbaldsob; 04-04-2020 at 04:43 PM.
post #73 of 262 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
Donk, I'm always inquisitive and you might not know the answer. And I don't want to bother you with work. When those diamonds come in, is the owner looking for something new, or, someone just not interested in motorcycling. See, that's my problem, I wouldn't be in business long cause I'd try to find out their psyche behind the trade in and purchase. That is not a recipe for longevity in motorcycle sales or any sales for that matter. Any idea why an '18 with 610 miles would come in the door? Curiosity killed the cat.
All kinds of reasons. The 610 mile RT came from another dealer. I found some paperwork in the bike. Owner traded a 3 year old low mileage K1600 on the RT obviously didn’t like the RT and traded it on something else. Funny part is the RT was purchased new at 441 Cycles in Ft Lauderdale not far from where I live in FL. We have people walk in with year old sport bikes and trade them in for an HD bagger. The super low mileage mint condition sport bikes are always a case of someone decided it was more bike than they wanted or too uncomfortable. Guy walked in with a 5 year old Panigale with 4000 miles on it on an outright buy. Just lost interest. Most often if you keep your mouth shut, your ears open and just go about your business people tell you the story. When we get bikes from other dealers it takes a little more detective work. We had a 9 month old GSA come from a car dealer in Norfolk VA. Navy guy bought the GSA shipped out came back and traded it for a Hemi Charger of some sort. A guy sold us a 6 month old HD Ultra Classic with a couple thousand miles on it. He lost $8000. in 6 months. Managers was shaking his head when the guy left. My thinking it was a mid life crisis and $8000. was a lot cheaper for the guy than a divorce! I could go on and on.
passx, FjrjrF and Sete Bond like this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T

Last edited by Donk; 04-05-2020 at 07:33 AM.

post #74 of 262 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
I'm leaning towards a Tracer GT or a Versys 1000 SE LT as a second (lighter) bike, eventually to replace the FJR when either she or I are worn out. Tracer has the edge in my deliberations, but I've been reading it is not a good two-up bike by any measure. Any thoughts on the tracer's suitability for touring two-up?
When my wife decided she wanted to ride with me after 25 years of saying no I bought an FJ-09 for her to ride on with me. The FJR is just too heavy and my 30” inseam makes it a bit tough. I did not want to mess up the opportunity by dropping a bike when the Ms was getting on or off. Me at 178 and the Ms at 115 I had to work the clutch on FJ-09 a little bit to get it rolling. Once moving it was fine. So I’d say the FJ-09 could tour 2 up if your not too big. Versus while not my personal favorite would probably be the better 2 up bike. Bigger engine, better bags. All around a very pleasant bike.

@oldbaldsob got to agree with you, again! Of all the sport bikes the Suzuki’s are by far the most comfortable. Whether they are the best track bike or not doesn’t matter, they are the best daily drivers on the street. Judging by some that I’ve seen that are older, been passed around by a bunch of sguids and modified and abused by each one of them and still run fine they are darn near indestructible.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T

Last edited by Donk; 04-05-2020 at 07:46 AM.
post #75 of 262 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 08:54 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
All kinds of reasons. The 610 mile RT came from another dealer. I found some paperwork in the bike. Owner traded a 3 year old low mileage K1600 on the RT obviously didn’t like the RT and traded it on something else. Funny part is the RT was purchased new at 441 Cycles in Ft Lauderdale not far from where I live in FL. We have people walk in with year old sport bikes and trade them in for an HD bagger. The super low mileage mint condition sport bikes are always a case of someone decided it was more bike than they wanted or too uncomfortable. Guy walked in with a 5 year old Panigale with 4000 miles on it on an outright buy. Just lost interest. Most often if you keep your mouth shut, your ears open and just go about your business people tell you the story. When we get bikes from other dealers it takes a little more detective work. We had a 9 month old GSA come from a car dealer in Norfolk VA. Navy guy bought the GSA shipped out came back and traded it for a Hemi Charger of some sort. A guy sold us a 6 month old HD Ultra Classic with a couple thousand miles on it. He lost $8000. in 6 months. Managers was shaking his head when the guy left. My thinking it was a mid life crisis and $8000. was a lot cheaper for the guy than a divorce! I could go on and on.
Thanks Donk, I find that stuff fascinating. Fascinating in the fact that some just dip their toes into what we all consider as a lifeline. Thanks, I think you should have your own thread with interesting stories like this.
oldbaldsob likes this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #76 of 262 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 06:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
I'm leaning towards a Tracer GT or a Versys 1000 SE LT as a second (lighter) bike, eventually to replace the FJR when either she or I are worn out. Tracer has the edge in my deliberations, but I've been reading it is not a good two-up bike by any measure. Any thoughts on the tracer's suitability for touring two-up?
Keep the FJR unless it really becomes too unmanageable and heavy for you.

I know folks who sold the FJR got something lighter and then again went back to the FJR.

Current Motorcycles

2014 FJR 1300 A Red

2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 Carburetted
post #77 of 262 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 09:20 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Kawasaki 1000 SX might fit your bill. Little over 500 pounds. Has your cruise that you want plus you can add hard bags. But a street bike.
snikr likes this.

Weldteach
2005 FJR1300
post #78 of 262 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 09:40 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Chuck what do you think of the Kawi seat? A buddy of mine just bought one and thinks it's the worst he has ever sat on. He is coming off a Suzuki DL1000.
As with all Moto seats, Everybody's butt is different. I think the new versys seat is one of the better factory seats. Not perfect by any means, but better. I did put a $20 Wallmart ATV pad on the seat so now I can ride all day with not too much problem.

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home – Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 Versys 300X(Little Gray Bike) 19 Versys 1000LT SE (Flying Nun) 13 Vstrom 650(Wee III)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #79 of 262 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 10:41 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatek6 View Post
No one's mentioned the Moto Guzzi Norge (link).

About 560 pounds, so 100 less than the FJR. And it's Italian, so it will be right at home with the Ducati.
Before I bought the N1K, I looked really hard at leftover & used models of the later gen Norge (1200 GT w/the 8v engine.) Reviews were polite but generally fantastic and it appeared to fit all my wants/needs. I thought it could possibly be the great, lighter weight alternative to the FJR.

However... the selling prices were outrageous at the time, even used. Local dealerships were also not negotiating, and the dealer network is/was/remains few & far between. Next point: to be polite, the overall quality on certain areas almost looked homemade or garage built. The dash, for example, was possibly the sloppiest piece of work I've ever seen cobbled together.

Still, the Norge had a certain flair, was pretty to eye, highly practical. If I could've found one at a reasonable price, I would've given it greater consideration.

RE: Chains- modern chains ain't like chains of yore. I cleaned/lubed my N1K's chain infrequently and rarely if ever adjusted it. My only complaint about chains was the mess they made on the rear wheel post-lubrication. Outside of that, never a concern.
Versatek6 likes this.
post #80 of 262 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 10:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
When my wife decided she wanted to ride with me after 25 years of saying no I bought an FJ-09 for her to ride on with me. The FJR is just too heavy and my 30” inseam makes it a bit tough. I did not want to mess up the opportunity by dropping a bike when the Ms was getting on or off. Me at 178 and the Ms at 115 I had to work the clutch on FJ-09 a little bit to get it rolling. Once moving it was fine. So I’d say the FJ-09 could tour 2 up if your not too big. Versus while not my personal favorite would probably be the better 2 up bike. Bigger engine, better bags. All around a very pleasant bike.
When my daughter decided to become my riding partner, I was hopeful the Versys 1000 would top the list. It was the closest thing to my former Ninja 1000 (sadly, not a good 2-up bike for us beefier types) and as a longtime Kawi owner, it just felt right. The V1K is also at least 150 lbs lighter than the FJR, plus reasonably priced, used, low mileage models can be found in abundance. We sat on the last & newest gen versions and she liked it, but dagnabit, once she sat on the FJR passenger seat, I was done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page