Thinking of Going Lighter - Page 27 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 191Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #261 of 286 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 11:58 AM
Farkle Trainee

Funny business.
Due to a couple of quirks of fate, I've spent quite a bit of time with the ol' FJR lately in high-speed Interstate commuting (with some extensions).
A friend and colleague had the misfortune to T-bone a Town Car with his relatively-recently acquired Harley. He had a lot of metal installed and is in a wheelchair for some time.
He operates a training business similar to ours with a bit different focus, and while he had a cadre of part-timers to do many of his classes, there aren't enough. So he asked me to cover several, which I was pleased to do.
I don't need to use my Astro van to do his classes, as they don't require much gear. That means bike.
The trip is 48 miles each way on Chicago-area Interstates 355 and 90. They are new-gen, fully-improved highways. There are posted speed limits of 60 and 70, respectively. Yeah, but those are not as rigidly enforced as they are in many other places, let's just say.
For perspective, on the notorious Tri-State Tollway, I-294, the section from O'Hare to the Wisconsin line is unusually fast-moving, even for here. I have more than once noticed my speedo showing 110 while in the third, not fourth, lane, and being passed monotonously.
So the ZRX won't get this call, not for get-there commuting- not enough wind protection.
So far this has entailed six of these 96-mile round trips, although one seems to have been extended a bit to Janesville, Wisconsin Airport for breakfast. (Excellent, by the way.)
Yeah, the FJR is about ideal for this kind of work, and gave a good account of itself.
I don't always go Interstate, but when I do... man, that FJR sure is a superior tool.
FJRChuck and Acpantera like this.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
1999 ZX9-R
2004 V-Strom 650
2020 Ninja 400 in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
2008 BMW F800ST, mixed.
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 286 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Junk Jacketís bike has been parked since it got here in favor of the 2 KTMs. No flip flopping no conspiracy. No complaints with the fat girl that can dance but Iím happy with lighter. @Brian Wheeler the gen2 FZ1s are great bikes, with a little tweaking itís one of the best sport tourers out there. Good looking bike too.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #263 of 286 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Way back when, when the thread was more active a couple of people mentioned the Super Duke GT as a possible alternative to the FJR. KTM has proven itself a decent brand to me but I miss the sport touring vs Adventure touring style bike. The 990SMT is a blast to ride and nothing but big smiles in an FZ1 sort of way. A bike you can take on long trips but that doesn’t mean it would be a first choice. The 1290 Super Adventure is well super, it’s big, not heavy, not awkward just big. It has all the features of a Gen3 ES FJR which make it a great travel bike and like the FJR it’s great around town. I just want something a little more sporty in the garage. Lots of alternatives but thinking the Super Duke GT May be a good fit? The endless supply of VFR FJ-09 and FZ1 seems to have dried up so finding nice bikes is getting to be more work.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT

Last edited by Donk; 09-30-2020 at 07:25 AM.

post #264 of 286 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Been riding around on a Ď15 FJ-09 the last few days. Has the nice factory bags on it too. Itís a fun bike but I donít think I could buy one. First problem is the dead upright seating position it brutal on my back. Iím one of those people that does better with a little forward lean. Next issue is what it would take to make it into what I want it to be. Quick tally of cost of suspension upgrade, brake upgrade, ECU reflash, and adding heated grips starts to make it a pricey little bike and thatís not counting the things you would replace on most any bike like seat and windshield. I can see it has a place in the market but itís not for me. Nice but too budget feeling.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
post #265 of 286 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 08:40 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Have you tried the Tracer GT, which is an FJ-09 with real suspension and a longer swingarm..... upright riding position should be very similar. I'd put the 1" lowering kit on it since I don't need "adventure bike" ground clearance.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #266 of 286 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Have you tried the Tracer GT, which is an FJ-09 with real suspension and a longer swingarm..... upright riding position should be very similar. I'd put the 1" lowering kit on it since I don't need "adventure bike" ground clearance.
Iíve not had the opportunity to try the Tracer GT yet but considering the seating position is the same and I was at the chiropractor yesterday as a result of riding around on the FJ-09 not sure Iím that interested. Iím sure the Tracer GT is much improved, it may even be as good as the Ď13 SMT!(joke).

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
post #267 of 286 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 11:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Been riding around on a Ď15 FJ-09 the last few days. Has the nice factory bags on it too. Itís a fun bike but I donít think I could buy one. First problem is the dead upright seating position it brutal on my back. Iím one of those people that does better with a little forward lean. Next issue is what it would take to make it into what I want it to be. Quick tally of cost of suspension upgrade, brake upgrade, ECU reflash, and adding heated grips starts to make it a pricey little bike and thatís not counting the things you would replace on most any bike like seat and windshield. I can see it has a place in the market but itís not for me. Nice but too budget feeling.
Hmmm...it's starting to sound like this is going to end up with...dare I say it...another FJR??? You're describing everything an FJR is good at...maybe a little extra weight is ok...maybe?

All joking aside, I really wanted to go lighter too, but I just can't figure out what I would rather have. The FJR pretty much does everything I want it to do, except for the weight aspect. It's the reason I'm on my 3rd one and I still love the one I've had now since 2016. February 2021 I'll have had it for 5 years and that will actually be a record for me; I've been accused in the past of changing cars and bikes like my underwear, which wasn't true at all!!!

Thought about the Triumph Tiger XrX Low, Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, even a Honda Valkyrie (2014/15). Some are better weight-wise and the Valkyrie I had a soft spot for and I can flat-foot it d*mnit!!!

But...after all the time and effort to get my '08 FJR to my liking, it's hard to actually think about getting rid of it. In the end, I think I'm just gonna expand and add a Suzuki V-Strom to the pack. Damir did it, so why can't I???

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #268 of 286 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 06:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'll chime in and say I'm loving my CBF1000 and don't miss the FJR... you only wish it was sold in the US.....
I have a VFR800, and wish they had brought the VFR800X (adventure) to North America, that looks interesting.....
But, TracerGT (or FJ09), I would lower it an inch (there is a factory kit), as I think it can stand it. Still on the radar if I can find a good used one for the right price.
maximrebel likes this.

Ray
post #269 of 286 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I'll chime in and say I'm loving my CBF1000 and don't miss the FJR... you only wish it was sold in the US.....
I have a VFR800, and wish they had brought the VFR800X (adventure) to North America, that looks interesting.....
But, TracerGT (or FJ09), I would lower it an inch (there is a factory kit), as I think it can stand it. Still on the radar if I can find a good used one for the right price.
Not sure youíd like it considering how much you enjoy what you have now. I really wanted to like it but it actually struck me as a good argument for sport touring bikes like the VFR. It was shocking how different it felt than the SMT or the 1290 Super Adventure. I mean it sort of seems the same until you ride it.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
post #270 of 286 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I know what you mean. It's a bit tall akin to the V-stroms I had, never could feel I could take them to the limits like I did the FJR. CBF or VFR I can. Something about sitting higher (and V-stroms aren't known for great suspensions and have teeny fork tubes). On the cheap, one could try an FJ09 but the Tracer GT has a decent suspension (adjustable unlike the FJ09) and a longer swingarm.

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page