Thinking of Going Lighter - Page 24 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 08:43 AM
Farkle Trainee

Hah- I looked at a bumblebee FZ-1 a year and a half ago being sold on Craigslist by a gentleman in Crown Point, Indiana (not excessively far). He rode it from his home to his retail shop.
He said he'd been riding it but was going to move on.
It was in such deplorable shape that I actually declined to take the test ride out of his businesses' parking lot.
I never knew steering head bearings could be so loose, and so destroyed, yet a motorcycle could actually be piloted above 10mph. There was almost an inch of play at the steering head nut if you grabbed the bars and wiggled them hard.
The rest of the bike was no better, and he wanted $2300. The tires were near bald, the chain was rusted solid, the engine oil appeared to have been fresh from the factory.
I passed and eventually came across the ZRX I have now. It's possible to assert the FZ-1 is a bit better bike but I have a strong Kawasaki streak so it more or less worked out.
bounce likes this.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2020 Ninja 400 in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:17 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have to keep out of the sport/supersport category..... it is surprising how many totally neglect stuff, yeah I'da passed on that FZ1, cost ya more than it's worth to fix it all. Sounds like a $1000 bike to me (or less).

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #233 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Bought the FZ1 today. Too nice a survivor to pass up.

The 990SMT is one of the best chassis and suspensions I have sat on. Even needing a front tire the bike is glues to the road. I now get why they have such a cult following. And yes you can lower them.
maximrebel and oldbaldsob like this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘03 FZ1
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T

post #234 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Old bikes New Tires

I could start a new thread but might as well keep this one going and I don’t want this to be misconstrued as a tire thread. It is about the lighter bikes not the tires. Both the SMT and FZ1 got new front tires, an Angel GT on the SMT and a Pilot Power on the FZ1. The SMT went from the being great to being virtually on rails, WOW that bike is stuck to the road! The FZ1 just stopped feeling like it was going to fall down at every corner! The improvement to the FZ1 was much greater and more critical. Before you ask I have a new rear coming for the SMT and the FZ1 rear is fine for a while. I’m having a blast. I have 2 great and different bikes, both light and easy, and not a fortune invested. If fact the only problem I see is after the ‘19 Multi sells I still have enough money left over for a third bike. Three for the price of 1! Three times the fun! Or maybe some intervention is needed? Help me guys. I’m thinking if I could figure out all the variations of VFRs that might round out the herd nicely plus I’ve never owned one. @oldbaldsob and @RaYzerman seem to like them so they must have something going for them (the bikes that is!).
oldbaldsob likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘03 FZ1
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #235 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 08:10 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
This just showed up at the shop. Figure I almost have to buy it. Totally unmolested. I figure @RaYzerman will like it for sure. Please no one snatch it up first. I had an ‘04 Gen1 and they are great bikes.

https://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/de...OwnedInventory
Congrats on the FZ-1 Donk. Not totally unmolested as that is not the stock pipe., but close enough. looks like it even has the stock rear fender complete which guys tended to chop. Fun bikes for sure.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #236 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 08:56 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Old bikes New Tires

I could start a new thread but might as well keep this one going and I don’t want this to be misconstrued as a tire thread. It is about the lighter bikes not the tires. Both the SMT and FZ1 got new front tires, an Angel GT on the SMT and a Pilot Power on the FZ1. The SMT went from the being great to being virtually on rails, WOW that bike is stuck to the road! The FZ1 just stopped feeling like it was going to fall down at every corner! The improvement to the FZ1 was much greater and more critical. Before you ask I have a new rear coming for the SMT and the FZ1 rear is fine for a while. I’m having a blast. I have 2 great and different bikes, both light and easy, and not a fortune invested. If fact the only problem I see is after the ‘19 Multi sells I still have enough money left over for a third bike. Three for the price of 1! Three times the fun! Or maybe some intervention is needed? Help me guys. I’m thinking if I could figure out all the variations of VFRs that might round out the herd nicely plus I’ve never owned one. @oldbaldsob and @RaYzerman seem to like them so they must have something going for them (the bikes that is!).
That's awesome, man.
From my perspective, I don't think you have a problem at all. Haha
I did the exact same thing a few years back buying a cbr1k, a magna, and a brand new klr650.
So for $10k I could cruise on the magna with saddlebags, carve or get my power fix on the cbr, or putt around and play in the dirt with my klr.
I sold the magna for exactly what I paid after like 25k miles, sold the klr at a $1,200 loss after 10k miles and 5yrs (although I did put a cage and nicer handguards on it), and I still have the cbr.
Nothing wrong with that.
It was a good feeling having 3 bikes in the garage. 😁
post #237 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 09:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Donk, that looks exactly the same as the one my buddy has right down to the bags, except he has a slip-on and a sargeant seat on his , absolutely Great bike ! Big part of why i bought my fjr. I’ll never forget a ride home from gingerman raceway in Michigan down m40 on my 81 cbx (pre-fjr) where we were passing long lines of cars. I felt pretty good because I was keeping up with him on his fz1 and he used to road race bikes in his youth.

On a couple of occasions I redlined the cbx in 5th (around 139-140mph) several times and felt good that the ol’girl was able to pace the newer fz1, that is until 1 time he just kept on it and simply left me at 140mph,,,, at which point reality set in and I just said f-it , slowed down to humane speeds as we’d just done a corner where the cbx “drifted/slipped” from the inside radius to the outside,,,,,, I told him I’d just meet him at home.

They call that “stupid shite”.... fun while it lasted and thank goodness no one got hurt but I’m sure a couple of the cagers we passed had/have a much lower opinion of bikers.

Donk, you’re gonna love that fz1 !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 07-03-2020 at 09:09 AM.
post #238 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 10:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Donk, you need professional help, LOL, not that we're gonna do you any good, ha ha. The VFR is turning out to be pretty good after all the work I've put into it, it needed some love when I got it...... Compared to the FZ1 and SMT, less power but smoother, tad heavier, but I'd say you really need to ride a VFR before committing. I personally would not want a V-tec, the 2012-up are much better for fueling, but don't have the looks and character of the 5th Gen ('98-01)... my opinion of course.
Too bad the VFR800X Crossrunner never made it here. A little more like the SMT, and I'd be all over it.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #239 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 10:34 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Donk, that looks exactly the same as the one my buddy has right down to the bags, except he has a slip-on and a sargeant seat on his , absolutely Great bike ! Big part of why i bought my fjr. I’ll never forget a ride home from gingerman raceway in Michigan down m40 on my 81 cbx (pre-fjr) where we were passing long lines of cars. I felt pretty good because I was keeping up with him on his fz1 and he used to road race bikes in his youth.

On a couple of occasions I redlined the cbx in 5th (around 139-140mph) several times and felt good that the ol’girl was able to pace the newer fz1, that is until 1 time he just kept on it and simply left me at 140mph,,,, at which point reality set in and I just said f-it , slowed down to humane speeds as we’d just done a corner where the cbx “drifted/slipped” from the inside radius to the outside,,,,,, I told him I’d just meet him at home.

They call that “stupid shite”.... fun while it lasted and thank goodness no one got hurt but I’m sure a couple of the cagers we passed had/have a much lower opinion of bikers.

Donk, you’re gonna love that fz1 !
Isn't it amazing the things we survived in our youth (I once drifted a CBX thru a 15 mph curve with the Claybrook speedo needle pegged on 85 and got caught doing 125 in a 25 on it..again thanks to Claybrook had no idea how fast I was going, but the cop informed me lol). Luckily we lived and hopefully learned. I was 30 then. Now at 70 I ride MUCH more conservatively.
passx likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #240 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 08:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk
....I still have enough money left over for a third bike. Three for the price of 1! Three times the fun! Or maybe some intervention is needed? Help me guys. I’m thinking if I could figure out all the variations of VFRs that might round out the herd nicely plus I’ve never owned one....

Congrats on the FZ1 Donk! From the initial discussion about VFRs way back in this thread, I think you'd be happiest with the the 7th and final Gen VFR 800 Deluxe with LED headlights, center stand, ABS, TC, and heated grips. Fortunately, it was probably the least popular version which has led to lots of low prices on the used market. Good luck finding the next bike to round out your trifecta!

1996 Honda Nighthawk 750 project bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES (sold)
2008 Honda VFR 800
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
2005 Suzuki SV1000S (crashed and rebuilt)

Last edited by oldbaldsob; 07-03-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page