Thinking of Going Lighter - Page 23 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 157Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 252 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 10:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

This is all true about topcases. A topcase is about the worst thing you can do to a motorcycle.
Unless you ride one in the everyday world, then it's one of the best.
I've made up my mind to be indecisive.
passx, ReRose and the Ferret like this.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2020 Ninja 400 in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 252 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 07:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

When I bought my fjr years ago I came off of an 86 Sei Goldwing and the fjr seemed so light and flickable but noticeably more top heavy. I added the topcase because quite frankly the side bags aren’t very accommodating or roomy. The top case really didn’t seem to be that big of a deal and was a convenient place to store my helmet & stuff while at work even though it was mostly empty when riding. Well that was 6 yrs ago, the back has gotten much worse plus we’ve learned about how poor the subframe is and easily broken even with a stiffy!

I still like the convenience of my topbox but the back issues have really sensitized me to this kind of stuff and quite frankly I was surprised by how noticeable a difference it made taking it off, it’s not like I had not ridden the bike w/o it before but it just seemed like not all that big of a deal.

Make no mistake though, it is still a big, top heavy machine, but now a doable deal, but since I’ve been riding my 81 cbx & 76 naked wing it really highlights that top heaviness but like I said now it’s doable. It really is a nice bike! Everything is just so effortless & actually quite flickable w/o the t-box. I’m a grinnin !

Ferret, I haven’t taken the side bags off yet, they really help with providing a place to put my “stuff” when I park the bike but they’re are definitely on the radar and may join the topcase in the back room, we’ll see !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 06-17-2020 at 07:36 AM.
post #223 of 252 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

@passx get yourself a tailbag and ditch the side cases. Started doing that a couple years ago on the Multis and now only put the side cases on when I travel. I have a Nelson Riggs expandable and it will hold my odds and ends plus a jacket liner or expand it and you can cram a helmet in there. It’s great plus it’s much easier on your back getting on and off the bike without your leg having to clear the side cases.
the Ferret likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T

post #224 of 252 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

The 990 SMT arrived today and I took it for a quick ride. Bike is everything I expected and hoped it would be. Big shout out to Andre in TX that sold me the bike sight unseen, it’s exactly as described. Bike is just a pleasure to ride. Imagine an FJ-09 with 30% more low end grunt and a great suspension. For being all over the place when I started this thread I sure got lucky and settled on a good bike.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
post #225 of 252 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 08:15 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The 990 SMT sounds good... seat height 33.9", but ground clearance 7.68"... betcha one could lower it and not miss a thing. Do I dare drink some orange Kool-Aid?
Acpantera and Donk like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #226 of 252 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

The bike is so narrow the seat height is not an issue even with my 30” inseam.

I just spent 3 days riding the 1290 Super Adventure back to WI from FL. It is a very very good bike. Even as tall as it is and as short as I am it’s easier to handle than the ‘13 Multistrada. That includes having the bags full and 7.93 gallons of gas. I hate to admit it but it’s both easier to ride and faster (usually go together) through the twisties than the Ducatis. It’s not as psychotic or straight line fast but it sure is a great ride. 1800 miles in 2.5 days through all kinds of roads and weather left me very impressed with the bike. It is very easy to lower and I already ordered the parts.
spectreman likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
post #227 of 252 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 12:59 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
been reading this thread and finding good info....

I am looking for a new bike.... probably 90% keeping my 08 FJR though. I am mostly riding aggressively in the mountains and only do a few multi-day travel "tours" each year. While I love the FJR, the weight is felt all the time in the NC mountains.

My background in riding has been mostly sports bikes (until my FJR I bought in 09)....track days and some race days.
I have a 90 VFR 750, a dual sport and the FJR currently.... and have gone through a number of various sport bikes (my favorite was my tricked out track bike, Honda RC51).

So, looking to drop pounds....narrowed down to 2 different bikes....KTM 1290 Superduke GT or the Aprilla Tuono Factory.

Looking for thoughts for anyone that has owned, ridden or has some experience with these.

'08 FJR; '90 VFR...but miss my RC51
post #228 of 252 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Conger View Post
been reading this thread and finding good info....

So, looking to drop pounds....narrowed down to 2 different bikes....KTM 1290 Superduke GT or the Aprilla Tuono Factory.

Looking for thoughts for anyone that has owned, ridden or has some experience with these.
I owned a ‘16 Super Duke GT and have ridden several Tuonos at work. Hands down the KTM is the better bike to ride, to own, and on your wallet.

The Tuono has a great sounding V4 and a sweet shifting transmission going for it. That sweet sounding V4 eats cam chains, not just tensioners but cam chains too! I personally am not a fan. Aprilla parts are expensive and not readily available, dealers are few and far between. The bike rides hard on less than perfect roads(wheelbase) and in my opinion does not turn in all that easily. Once you get used to it it’s ok but for sure a better track day bike than real world street bike.

The Super Duke GT is a great bike. It rides as nice as and as an FJR or BMW RT, handles as easy as anything, can stay with a S1000RR until the serious triple digits and has bags, cruise and everything else you could want. The WP suspension is one of the best, period! My bags were never on the bike unless I was going overnight and the bike looks great with or without them. The stock seat and windshield are less than perfect, go figure, that makes it the same as most bike out there. Surprisingly KTM parts are reasonably price and readily available, most of the KTM shops I’ve wandered into are friendly and knowledgeable. Honestly the Super Duke is like an FJR just biased more toward sport than touring.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT

Last edited by Donk; 06-29-2020 at 07:16 AM.
post #229 of 252 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

This just showed up at the shop. Figure I almost have to buy it. Totally unmolested. I figure @RaYzerman will like it for sure. Please no one snatch it up first. I had an ‘04 Gen1 and they are great bikes.

https://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/de...OwnedInventory
the Ferret and oldbaldsob like this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
post #230 of 252 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 07:49 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ha ha, got one here in C$, way cheaper in the end (the bumble bee one I posted is still for sale).... but insurance cost will keep me off it..... now I have been looking around at the Katoom 990 SMT.....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page