Thinking of Going Lighter - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 06:27 PM
FJR Top Gun

Fj-09?

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 08:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldsob View Post
I'm in the same "lighter" boat. Due to a recent development in my health and my shortness (28 inch inseam), my FJR just became too much of a handful. I recently traded it + quite a bit of cash for a cherry 2008 Honda VFR 800. It's seat height is roughly the same as the FJR with the seat in the lowest position but the VFR's seat is narrower. The VFR also has a much lower center of gravity which makes it feel much lighter than it's roughly 100 lbs lower weight would indicate. Although it's bars are much lower, it's really comfortable for me ergonomically. Plus it came with Throttlemeister bar ends.
Oh, LOL, you got one of THOSE.... V-Tecs that is... I got the good one, picked it up at Christmas time, giving it a refurb as we speak........ I sat on a '15, wasn't speaking to me... anyway, always wanted one never thought of it as a sport tourer, but surprisingly the riding position doesn't seem that bad once you put bar risers on. I haven't really gone anywhere yet, but shakedown rides coming up. Alledgedly it weighs 535 lbs.... scored a Russell seat for cheap, unbelievable somebody would put one on a VFR. I'm told the Sargents are good on that bike.

jtdunc and oldbaldsob like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #13 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 09:42 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Oh, LOL, you got one of THOSE.... V-Tecs that is... I got the good one, picked it up at Christmas time, giving it a refurb as we speak........ I sat on a '15, wasn't speaking to me... anyway, always wanted one never thought of it as a sport tourer, but surprisingly the riding position doesn't seem that bad once you put bar risers on. I haven't really gone anywhere yet, but shakedown rides coming up. Alledgedly it weighs 535 lbs.... scored a Russell seat for cheap, unbelievable somebody would put one on a VFR. I'm told the Sargents are good on that bike.
Beautiful VFR! Yeah, Honda must have been taking some drugs when they developed the 6th gen VFR; its heavier and makes less HP. But I think it's one of the most attractive bikes that Honda has ever made. The V-tec is entertaining though. Compared to my '08 VFR, my 2006 SV1000S has almost the same ergos with the Helibars I put on it but it makes about 10 more HP and weighs about 75 lbs less with the Two Bros exhausts I put on it.

Motorcycle Consumer News put the 6th gen VFR's wet weight at 554 lbs and the gen 3 FJR's wet weight at 669 lbs but the differences in how that weight is carried is quite dramatic. Although the FJR's weight disappears when underway, lifting it off the side stand or moving it around in the garage was nearly impossible for me with my medical issue. If I can recover, I'd like to get another FJR someday. It's just an amazingly fast and comfortable bike. I may eventually put on a larger windshield, Helibars, and a Sargent seat on the VFR after I get some long distance miles on it to see what it needs to make me comfortable. I'm looking forward to putting a lot of miles on the VFR this summer so I'll give an update on how it does on long rides for me compared to the FJR. It's certainly not a direct comparison of course. The FJR has superior comfort, protection from the elements, the safety features of ABS and traction control, and power.

1996 Honda Nighthawk 750 project bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES (sold)
2008 Honda VFR 800
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
2005 Suzuki SV1000S (crashed and rebuilt)

Last edited by oldbaldsob; 03-28-2020 at 10:15 PM.

post #14 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Working down from the top, and please remember, as I said I already have a pair of Multistrada or is plural Multistradi so looking for something more sport than AdvT

Super Tenere is the most underwhelming bike I ever rode.

I try to love the Tracer GT but somehow it feels too budget. If you put several thousand into suspension it would be a big step in the right direction.

Triumph may be a decent bike. I’ll give it a year or 2. They are famous for year 1 issues. If I could get a new 2011 Sprint GT I would buy it in a heartbeat. Had one loved it rode the heck out of it. In fact I would sacrifice cruise if a minty used one came my way. Good idea if in a round about way.

Versus is a non starter. Just don’t care for it. The Ninja 1000 is on the radar though. They finally added cruise, the bags are huge, and it has decent power to weight plus it’s sport touring.

The VFR May be a decent choice and there are new leftovers sitting on dealers floor for cheap. Have to check one out.

Thanks for the input guys, please keep the ideas coming. Not like we can do much else right now.
Sete Bond and oldbaldsob like this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘03 FZ1
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #15 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 12:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
....The VFR May be a decent choice and there are new leftovers sitting on dealers floor for cheap. Have to check one out....
Indeed Donk! Check out this new old stock Interceptor Deluxe: https://www.ycpowersportslake.com/Ne...96215?ref=list

Craigslist Ad: https://loz.craigslist.org/mcd/d/osa...099149561.html

I asked them what their OTD price would be and they said it was $8,200.00 OTD.

Only thing it has missing is the hard bags. But there are some nice ones for sale on my local Craigslist: https://springfield.craigslist.org/m...094463006.html

And yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on that Interceptor if you couldn't tell.

2008 Honda VFR 800
2006 Suzuki SV1000S

Last edited by oldbaldsob; 03-29-2020 at 06:27 AM.
post #16 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 02:49 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
What about the older Honda Superhawks? On my bucket list for bike #3 once I get my detached garage up.

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
post #17 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks @oldbaldsob I will check it out. A friend of a friend rode his out to WI from NY last summer and the fit and finish on the bike was amazing. Not sure about the V-Tech the one time I rode one it was a little off and on. I guess like anything else you get used to it.

Here’s my answer to Ray’s yellow bike! Ducati has always gotten the light weight thing down pretty good.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col...092096638.html

I just took a quick look at it. The DLX is the way to go. Gives all the features I’d want. I didn’t see whether the bike comes with a centerstand or not? Always a nice feature on a chain drive bike. It’s a lot of bike for the money that’s for sure. Definitely worth a bit more research. I wish Throrrlemeister was still in business.

Went so far as to list the FJR for sale here on the forum but that’s as far as I’m going right now
FJRChuck likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘03 FZ1
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T

Last edited by Donk; 03-29-2020 at 06:39 AM.
post #18 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 08:17 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Thanks @oldbaldsob I will check it out. A friend of a friend rode his out to WI from NY last summer and the fit and finish on the bike was amazing. Not sure about the V-Tech the one time I rode one it was a little off and on. I guess like anything else you get used to it....
I just took a quick look at it. The DLX is the way to go. Gives all the features I’d want. I didn’t see whether the bike comes with a centerstand or not? Always a nice feature on a chain drive bike. It’s a lot of bike for the money that’s for sure. Definitely worth a bit more research. I wish Throrrlemeister was still in business.

Went so far as to list the FJR for sale here on the forum but that’s as far as I’m going right now
Yeah, the deluxe is definitely what you want with the ABS, traction control, heated grips, and LED headlights. The new VFRs do indeed have centerstands too. And the V-Tec transition has been eliminated on the 8th Gen VFRs. Honda even has a quickshifter available for it. Wish they came in silver with black frames like they did in Europe. Nice looking bikes.
Silver 8th Gen VFR 800.jpg
Donk likes this.

2008 Honda VFR 800
2006 Suzuki SV1000S

Last edited by oldbaldsob; 03-29-2020 at 09:05 AM.
post #19 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 10:05 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

There's a guy on the FZ1 forum selling a VERY well equipped Tracer GT. Please buy it so i can quit looking at it!!
FjrjrF likes this.
post #20 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 10:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

Honda Deauville / NT700V?

Finnfjr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page