New Tires for 2020 season - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

New Tires for 2020 season

Hi everyone,

We all know whats happening around us. Unfortunately we need to stay positive and go through hard times.

I am ready to put new tires however would like to hear some feedback on the last revisions tires. Since our bikes are heavy, we have limited selections.

I found a few options:
1. Michelin Road 5 GT
2. Bridgestone Battlax 31 GT
3. Dunlop Road III
4. Pirelli Anget GT or GTII
5. Continental ContiRoadAttack III GT

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Stay safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 06:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Bridgestone currently has $60 rebate and Michelin $50 so that is where I would look. In my family we have the Dunlop RS3 on a FZ07 and they perform well. Also Bridgestone T30 evo on a Ninja 650 and Michelin Road 4 on my FJR. I would bet that the Bridgestone would wear the quickest and I don't know if they come in a GT or "A-Spec" option, but priced right.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2016 Yamaha FZ-07
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 07:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

I just mounted a set of Michelin PR4 on my 2013 in anticipation of a 5000 mile trip this summer. I might not make that trip now.

Jerry Holland
2013 FJR1300A

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 08:39 PM
FJR Top Gun

So-called “GT spec” is only a tuning option. Not safer. Not less safe. No greater load capacity

Bridgestone, Continental, and Michelin call their “heavy” tires “GT”. Pirelli says “A-spec”. Metzeler simply says, “Heavy Weight.” Dunlop doesn’t have a heavy option.

Two people I ride with have been very unhappy with Road 5 tires. Both rode the tires to their ends, got 75% of the life they previously had from Pilot Road 4. Didn’t like the way they rode the last half of life. Others on the internet say they have been very happy with the Road 5 which leads me to suspect a bad batch or major design change between theirs and these I know.

I now have a PR4GT rear and T31GT front. That combination works surprisingly well. The T31GT rear developed a leak I could not find and repair. Am not going to throw away a perfectly good front tire to have perfect match. My FJR goes through 5 fronts to 4 rears. Yes, rear lasts longer.

Previous T30 Evo GT were wonderful tires. About 75% of the life of PR4GT but 2/3rds the price. Depending on your cost to mount these are very close to the same cost per mile as PR4GT.

Recently rode friends FJR for over 100 miles. His PR4 tires are nearing their end. Steered much heavier than I am used to. Have had that happen with other tires, not sure which as that was years ago. As heavy as his steers with PR4 he bought another set no matter he has new unmounted R5s waiting and paid for.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
So-called “GT spec” is only a tuning option. Not safer. Not less safe. No greater load capacity

Bridgestone, Continental, and Michelin call their “heavy” tires “GT”. Pirelli says “A-spec”. Metzeler simply says, “Heavy Weight.” Dunlop doesn’t have a heavy option.

Two people I ride with have been very unhappy with Road 5 tires. Both rode the tires to their ends, got 75% of the life they previously had from Pilot Road 4. Didn’t like the way they rode the last half of life. Others on the internet say they have been very happy with the Road 5 which leads me to suspect a bad batch or major design change between theirs and these I know.

I now have a PR4GT rear and T31GT front. That combination works surprisingly well. The T31GT rear developed a leak I could not find and repair. Am not going to throw away a perfectly good front tire to have perfect match. My FJR goes through 5 fronts to 4 rears. Yes, rear lasts longer.

Previous T30 Evo GT were wonderful tires. About 75% of the life of PR4GT but 2/3rds the price. Depending on your cost to mount these are very close to the same cost per mile as PR4GT.

Recently rode friends FJR for over 100 miles. His PR4 tires are nearing their end. Steered much heavier than I am used to. Have had that happen with other tires, not sure which as that was years ago. As heavy as his steers with PR4 he bought another set no matter he has new unmounted R5s waiting and paid for.

How can you describe T31 GT tire? Is it good or average tire? Sticky on the road?

I was thinking to get new PR 5GT however there is so many different opinions About them.

There is also a lot of people using PR 5 non GT version on the heavier bikes that don’t like how they wear out.

Not much date on the PR 5 GT models.

Dunlop’s smart 3 same thing. 50/50 positive feedbacks.

I think it has to do something with dual compound and heavy bikes.

Last edited by MarioR; 03-26-2020 at 09:11 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 09:24 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Mario, it plain and simple. EVERYONE has their own opinions which tire works best for THEMSELVES. The only way to form that opinion is try and error, or succeed. The reasons you read so many different opinions is because each have tried and didn't like a specific tire or loved a specific tire. You have to form that on your own and you're not gonna get the best tire for YOU from someone else's opinion. My suggestion, as mentioned earlier, is get one of the one on sale or rebate. It's always best to spend the least in the hunt for YOUR tire.
RaYzerman and passx like this.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 09:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

My brother calls reviews/opinions on products the " best worst" . He says no matter the product, 1/2 will say it's the best they ever had and 1/2 will say it's the worst they ever had.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 11:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

I’ve had great luck with PR4s on the FJR. I ran 2 sets last summer for about 8000 miles each and there was a couple thousand miles of tread left. Just put a set of Road5s on one of the Multis other has PR4s. Road5s handle amazing but not sure what to expect for mileage from them. As the FJR is heavier and long tire life is a priority I’m sticking with the PR4 GT. My 2 cents worth
passx likes this.

The resident Ducati owner.

‘13 Multistrada
‘14 FJR
‘19 Multistrada
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 11:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I’m a fan of Pirelli A Spec Angel GT will try Angel GT a special II next
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:57 AM
Farkle Trainee

I’ve run T30’s, T30 Evo GT’s and T31 GT’s for quite some time now...on an FZ1, VFR 1200, and FJR. quite a few sets, I’d guess around 9-10 rears and 7-8 fronts over the years.
To me, the FJR handles well and feels very stable on T31 GT’s, with good grip, even when pushed as far as you dare on public roads. Even as they wear towards the end I don’t feel like the handling falls off all that much.
The only possible downside is that longevity is average...I get around 12,000 km on a rear and can push the front to around 18,000 km, but by that point the wear on the front is pretty bad (scalloping) so I change it out, if not prior when I replace the rear.
Hard to beat on cost, as long as you’re not paying a lot for tire changes, and especially if you get a bridgestone rewards cash card.
N4HHE likes this.

Last edited by Yammieboy; Yesterday at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page