Dilemma about riding now - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 124Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2020, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Dilemma about riding now

I am a daily rider and I know many of you are as well. On another forum a fellow posted up the message below:

I apologize for being momentarily serious, but this thread has raised questions of whether riding a motorcycle for pleasure is an OK thing to do in the current circumstances. It isn't.

And not because riding a motorcycle is likely to infect you.

The reason the authorities don't want bicycles, cars, motorcycles, people anything much moving around is that, on the evidence of the way coronavirus spreads, almost all the countries from which this forum draws its members are already past the point where their health systems will be able to cope with all the coronavirus patients needing intensive care. Maybe putting that the other way will be clearer: there will be way more COVID19 patients needing intensive care that our hospitals can treat. And that assumes they don't have to deal with anything else like road accident trauma, cardiac disease, strokes, diabetic and asthma attacks, etc, etc. That's why many countries are working hard to 'flatten the curve'. It probably won't reduce the number of infections; but it will mean they're more spread out which will give hospitals and the medical system a better chance of being able to respond and reduce the number of horrendous choices health professionals will have to make.

So, just at the moment, it's not alright to do anything that puts you at risk of injury unless you absolutely have to, for the simple reason that if you do get hurt, you'll be putting further pressure on a health system that is, or is about to be, overwhelmed.

I responded with:

Well, you guys certainly have given me something to think about. I will discuss this with my wife for her opinion. The likelihood of me being in an accident on my motorcycle is extremely small IMO, I am a very experienced rider, with lots of training, riding in areas I am intimately familiar, with far less other vehicles on the road than normal. But there is always a chance I suppose. After all, that's why we don the gear.

The way I have looked at it is I am out there by myself, a threat to no one, can't catch the disease while riding, can't spread the disease while riding. I go from my garage, spend an hour in a protective suit with no contact with anyone else and return to my garage. If I thought I was going to crash I wouldn't go out at all. The government, federal as well as my state government says it's ok to go out in limited circumstances. It's ok to walk, or jog, walk your pet, or ride a bike or go to a park as long as you stay 6' from others. How do you get to a park if you don't drive? How do you get to the grocery or pharmacy if you don't drive? As it is, there are so many people walking all day in my neighborhood, it would be virtually impossible for me to go for a walk and not run into other people. IMO it is safer for me to ride my motorcycle than to walk in my own neighborhood, and certainly far safer than when I went to the grocery store yesterday morning with many hundreds of strangers.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Should those us us who are daily riders still ride? Or is it too risky due to the lack of medical supplies and beds needed for Corona patients? I'm sort of struggling with this now. I want to ride, but I don't want to take a hospital bed that someone else may need in case I do go down.
passx, Redfish and Yammieboy like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 03-24-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2020, 01:36 PM
Farkle Trainee

This is something I have been struggling with as well. Have decided not to ride for now.
bounce and 2GENAE like this.
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2020, 01:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I respect and support individual opinions and choices. I am usually a solitary rider and am well versed in BBP and infection control. I hate having to disinfect a pump and zon before and after pumping, but it’s part of life right now. My riding will not be curtailed by current conditions as long as pay-at-the-pump remains available.

I can fully understand why some should choose not to ride during this difficult time.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 03-24-2020 at 02:03 PM.

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2020, 03:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

If I lived in fear like that, I definitely wouldn't own my toys.
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2020, 03:36 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
What adds to the reduced likelihood of crashing my bike and potentially hurting myself is the fact that there are a lot less vehicles on the roads during this ordeal.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2020, 03:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

It's not about crashing and causing undo stress for the medical system but about seeing yourself as part of a society.
If everyone decided they can do what they want when they want without regards to the outcome or ramification then we would have a huge amount of folks on the road. So everyone needs to comply except for you?
Everyone needs to do their part. Come on, stay off your bike. This is not the time to be a rugged individualist.
What part of non essential travel do you not understand?
They had to close all the parks throughout the Bay area because dipshits didn't understand this.
bounce, 2GENAE and Linton West like this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2020, 05:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I'm a daily commuter rider. And the Washing Governor just slapped us with a shelter in place order. Can only go out for essentials.

But you can still ride your motorcycle to the grocery store for essentials -- 50 miles away!!!!!

2005 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja - Past
Toyota 4runner/Tundra/Land Cruiser
Nash 17K Travel Trailer
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2020, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Well we are getting mixed signals from our state government. They say certain outdoor activities are ok, walking, jogging, bicycle riding, dog walking, going to the park, and encourage you to do those things for physical and mental health, as long as you maintain social distancing. It is spelled out right in the Governors Stay at Home order.

Does the Stay at Home order mean I can't take my kids to the park?
Families will still be able to go outside, including to parks and outdoor spaces that remain open, and take a walk, run, or bike ride but should continue to practice social distancing by remaining 6 feet away from other people. Playgrounds are closed because they pose a high risk of increasing transmission.

Is there a difference between jumping in your car and going to the park, and jumping on your motorcycle and going to the park?

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2020, 08:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

Very interesting to hear what is going on over the pond.

I'm an expat Brit (limey) living in Brittany in the north west of France, that's the lump of rock that sticks out into the Atlantic at the top left hand corner!

We have an almost total lockdown in France. We are not allowed to leave our homes or property except for employment, medical needs, food, fuel and exercise(walking the dog etc within 500 metres of your house). When we decide to go out we have to have in our possession a signed and dated government form detailing who when where and why we are out. Each of us, my wife and I, a new form every time we go out.

Infringement means a 135 fine. further infringements and the fines can go up to 15,000 plus 6 months prison. Checkpoints on the roads manned by the gendarmes, they are a sort of military police in the country districts where we are, national and municipal police doing the same in the big towns and cities.
All non-essential businesses are closed, bars, cafes, restaurants, all shops and stores except banks, pharmacies, food markets, fuel stations, medical etc.

These restrictions are likely to continue for at least 3 months.
We are lucky that we have a little patch of land, about an acre and a half, including some woodland so we are not hemmed in too much, with no close neighbours - it's fortunate that we don't live in an apartment!

So no riding for me until this is over!
jtdunc and Versatek6 like this.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2020, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstormer View Post
Very interesting to hear what is going on over the pond.

I'm an expat Brit (limey) living in Brittany in the north west of France, that's the lump of rock that sticks out into the Atlantic at the top left hand corner!

We have an almost total lockdown in France. We are not allowed to leave our homes or property except for employment, medical needs, food, fuel and exercise(walking the dog etc within 500 metres of your house). When we decide to go out we have to have in our possession a signed and dated government form detailing who when where and why we are out. Each of us, my wife and I, a new form every time we go out.

Infringement means a 135 fine. further infringements and the fines can go up to 15,000 plus 6 months prison. Checkpoints on the roads manned by the gendarmes, they are a sort of military police in the country districts where we are, national and municipal police doing the same in the big towns and cities.
All non-essential businesses are closed, bars, cafes, restaurants, all shops and stores except banks, pharmacies, food markets, fuel stations, medical etc.

These restrictions are likely to continue for at least 3 months.
We are lucky that we have a little patch of land, about an acre and a half, including some woodland so we are not hemmed in too much, with no close neighbours - it's fortunate that we don't live in an apartment!

So no riding for me until this is over!
Barnstormer..how do you and your wife get the new signed and dated government form everytime you go out without travelling someplace?
JohnC likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in