Dilemma about riding now - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 300Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 08:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

If the government locks down on going out only for a set of defined essential needs, I certainly will respect it fully. In the meantime, Iíll go on working from home, staying home for the most part, not visiting with anyone, not going to stores unnecessarily...but as I see myself as a very safe rider Iím not going to lay a guilt trip on myself if I feel a personal need to get out and ride. If thatís wrong, then no one should be exercising either (which I also will continue to do) since they could injure themselves or have a medical event as a result. common sense has to be applied here by each individual in their own circumstances, while staying within the law and the intent of public health guidelines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 08:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Totalitarian governments do not want the masses to do anything that is inconvenient to government. You shall only practice approved recreation. Eat only approved foods. Attend only approved classes.

There is no economic argument for a motorcycle, especially one as large and resource hungry as an FJR. A Prius is much cheaper to operate, and cost is an accurate measure of resource consumption. There are cars with much lower T.C.O. than Prius.

Then there is the matter few of us use our motorcycles to do anything productive. I have ridden les than 200 miles to work or store in 60,000 miles.

Ride 160 miles Saturday to eat. Restaurant glad to see us, but was under a 25 person capacity limit.

Ran to Costco today for groceries. Store was mostly empty. Two cashiers open, I walked up to one and was next served. It was nice, but I worry about businesses surviving.

Gas was $1.559 but the Tesla doesnít have anyplace to put it.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #13 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 09:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

All the mandates I've read tell you that you can go to a park, they don't say drive to the park. The mandates also tell you to avoid non essential travel. I don't see any mixed signals. Dipshits couldn't figure that out so they've closed all the parks.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ų bike=miles
smiles ų miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 10:34 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I was the first person I know to self-isolate myself, but I will go for rides when the darn rain lets me.

I stockpiled 15 gallons of gas in the garage, and my cars are full and siphonable so I don't even have to touch gas pumps.

IF the government tells me I can't ride, then I won't, but until they say it, I will.

I live in a rural area, I can drive a hundred miles on back roads without getting near a town, and usually see a dozen or less cars on an hour ride.

Even in Santa Clara County in California where they have the strictest rules in the USA, when asked about biking for recreation they said:

A: The Order allows you to go outside for exercise so long as you maintain social distancing (more than 6 feet from persons who are not part of your household). This includes activities like walks or hikes or bike rides or going to a park.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #15 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 11:16 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you want the opposite, no restriction on social activity, denial there's an issue, still encouraging religious practice of kissing and touching brass walls, take a look at Iran.
I have lots to do without needing to ride, been working on a project bike for the last 3 weeks. I go to town to get supplies, I'm not burning very much gas, and gas is at an all time low. I keep my distance when I do go, is 6 feet enough?

But, rather than even debate it, just do what you believe in and what makes you happy. All of this is wearing on us whether we like it or not, mental health is important. Keep calm and carry on.
bigjohnsd, Redfish and Yammieboy like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #16 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 11:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

In my part of the world it's ok to go out, as long as one is diligent about maintaining "physical distancing" - here, that means staying 2 metres / 6 feet away from others. There has been no recommendation to avoid any particular activities, as long as those activities don't involve being within 2 metres of another person.

Based on that, I've been driving the dogs to the local school yard (schools are closed) for some fresh air and exercise (mostly for them, but a little for me). On those outings haven't been within shouting distance of another soul. I know it seems silly to drive somewhere to get exercise, but walking would mean encountering who-knows-how-many people on the sidewalk, so driving is safer. If the rules change, I'll change with them.

As soon as the weather cooperates, I'm planning on insuring the FJR and riding. I'll be by myself and won't have contact with another person - just like when I'm out with the dogs. It'll be good for me to get out of the house - riding is good for my mental health, and giving my wife a break from what she claims are my annoying habits is good for my physical health

I understand the comments that riding creates the risk of injury, and thus the risk of burdening the health care system, and I don't disagree. But, I think the likelihood of having a wreck is miniscule Ö far less than the likelihood of something going wrong if my wife doesn't get that break!

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 12:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

I think one will go crazy sitting home all day doing nothing. I ride everyday for recreation and pleasure if weather permits.

We have 'Stay at home' in place in IL but the Governor stated one can go out for jogging, running, essential outings like pharmacy, gas station and groceries.

Why not motorcycling? Just make sure you are more careful !

The real Stay at home or Lockdown only works if everything is closed and enforced completely...like the way China did it. I think it is very hard to enforce that in U.S

Current Motorcycles

2014 FJR 1300 A Red

2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 Carburetted
post #18 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 01:44 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
It's not about crashing and causing undo stress for the medical system but about seeing yourself as part of a society.
If everyone decided they can do what they want when they want without regards to the outcome or ramification then we would have a huge amount of folks on the road. So everyone needs to comply except for you?
Everyone needs to do their part. Come on, stay off your bike. This is not the time to be a rugged individualist.
What part of non essential travel do you not understand?
They had to close all the parks throughout the Bay area because dipshits didn't understand this.
Who said I was taking bike rides for non-essential purposes?

What I WAS saying is I felt safe on the bike before this and because there is much less traffic because of this I feel even safer out there on the bike.
weldteach likes this.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ©Ķ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

Last edited by JunkJacket; 03-25-2020 at 01:49 AM.
post #19 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 08:45 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I say ride on as long as youíre keeping social distancing in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travlr_45 likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
post #20 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 09:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think we have to also remember that, FOR NOW, most restrictions in place are decided on the state level and vary largely based on the state, unlike some of European friends. So let's not compare apples and oranges.

Here in the southeast gathering places like bars and restaurants are closed to eat-in only otherwise it's business as usual. I'm currently in SC due to the complete lack of no-travel mandates and am surprised at the number and variety of open places- cigar stores, tire shops, souvenir & trinket places- all open. And golf courses, local parks, driving ranges- all open. Some local municipalities have closed beaches, the state closes state parks based on whatever but so far it's for 2 or 3 days and they're open again. You can still go build sand castles if that's your thing. Significantly fewer tourists but still, folks are generally going on with their lives with precautions. At the golf courses we spread out at the practice range and each individual gets a recently disinfected cart. Fore!

And unlike some, I regularly commute on my bike and once out of my shop next week will continue to do so sometimes taking the long way to or from. I will continue working as our gov't deems our products as essential. We're manufacturing- no working at home here! Sure, it increases my risk but what the hay. Seems our state is overwhelmed with unemployment requests and, according to Raleigh, basically broke. And of course the avalanche effect- as people spend less, the state collects less.

And acting surprised or angry at the irresponsibility of Americans being oot & aboot? Pul-leez!! Have you seen the Italian mayors ranting in the news? The Indian police caning people in the streets? You think it's Americans? Nope. It's worldwide. It's people, disobeying is what we do best.

I'm treating this no differently than any other serious cold and flu season by distancing, disinfecting, etc. etc. etc. If you haven't been doing this all along then that's your fault b/c you should have been. If the govt, state or federal locks down then so be it. But I'm not going hermit just because.
klwhitacre, Redfish and Travlr_45 like this.

Russ
2007A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page