Rear tire size - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Rear tire size

Hi everyone,

I am thinking to put new set of the tires for upcoming season.
Did anyone put wider tire on FJR? 180 looks pretty narrow on our bikes. This is only my personal opinion and wider tire would be my preference. I don't think that should change or affect drivibility.
Options are 190/55 or 190/50. I don't want to have bike sit higher so I am thinking about 50 profile.

Any feedback with prons and cons greatly appreciated.
Thank you
StratTuner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 10:33 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I don't think you will like the handling of the 50 profile, as I've heard from others. I use 190/55 all the time and there is a slight difference in ride height, roughly it will sit a healthy 1/4" higher, but it handles like a dream. If you have any doubts, just stick with the 180, it's not that bad.....
Barry58, N4HHE and StratTuner like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 11:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

My current and last few rear tires have been the 190/55. I have it strictly for the small increase in diameter which compliments my re-geared final drive unit... gives me ~2900 Revs @60mph which is very close to the overall gearing of the '16 and later 6 speed transmissions.
Mr. BR ('05 FJR)
StratTuner likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 01:10 AM
FJR Top Gun

I dare say wider tires rarely increase traction on motorcycles unless mated with a wider rim. FJR 5.50Ē rear rim is the minimum for 190 tire.

You are new here so Iím guessing this is first new rear tire? There is a big difference in how the many different 180/55-17 tires ride and handle. Another 180/55 is the safest bet now. Then when that one is gone and you still have the urge for a 190 then try one of the same model as the 180. Then you will have a better chance of knowing what the difference is. Then again there is always the issue of how a new tire always rides much better than the exact same thing at end of life, complicating the comparison.
Barry58 and Sete Bond like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 04:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Your thinking is too narrow (a pun, Ha!), there are other options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3134.JPG (173.9 KB, 10 views)
RaYzerman, Bill Lumberg and passx like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 08:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Most sidewalls say 42 psi, and I have to think the profiles were designed around that. You will find different manufacturers have different profiles, and why they handle differently. The old BT-021 for example was a soft tire with a a very round profile and definitely very difficult to get that tire to turn in... hated them. They were OEM on 2010 FJR's AFAIK.

To me, when I looked at 190's, the profile is proportionate to 180's, as long as you're using a 190 designed for a 5.5" rim.

Who has the largest contact patch? Does it matter... the differences are very small and you'll only test that in extreme conditions such as rain or on the track. Compound choice affects that too, a harder compound doesn't have as good a grip and that is far more important to me, so I shy away from PR2's and RS3's. OK for a touring type rider though or in warmer weather or if you're going on that long trip.

Back in the day when I ran what Russ is running, one might think the contact patch was smaller, but the compounds are softer than most m/c tires. They stick like glue, yet will last forever (except Hankooks).
If you want to roughly measure your contact patch, find some nice smooth paved parking lot, ride through a puddle and lean in. Back in the car tire days, some did this to compare to m/c patches...
StratTuner likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Your thinking is too narrow (a pun, Ha!), there are other options.

Thats the good one!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 10:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Other than looks why do you want a wider rear tire? The 180 handles the weight of the FJR just fine and if anything a wider tire will make your turn in slower. Itís a difference I for one would notice and not enjoy.

The resident Ducati owner.

Ď13 Multistrada
Ď14 FJR
Ď19 Multistrada
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 12:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Other than looks why do you want a wider rear tire? The 180 handles the weight of the FJR just fine and if anything a wider tire will make your turn in slower. Itís a difference I for one would notice and not enjoy.
I'm pretty dull witted most of the time so for me a 190 bike or 205 car tire is no big deal. YMMV.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 06:41 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioR View Post
Hi everyone,

I am thinking to put new set of the tires for upcoming season.
Did anyone put wider tire on FJR? 180 looks pretty narrow on our bikes. This is only my personal opinion and wider tire would be my preference. I don't think that should change or affect drivibility.
Options are 190/55 or 190/50. I don't want to have bike sit higher so I am thinking about 50 profile.

Any feedback with prons and cons greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Cornering itís not the same, the 180 makes it easier and you will notice thought I do like the looks of a wider tire too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in