Whatís Your Favorite Jacket - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2020, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Whatís Your Favorite Jacket

Ok this has got to be safer than an oil or tire thread. What’s your favorite riding jacket and why? We’re all different shapes and sizes and we live in different climates so clearly there is no right or wrong answer. Hi Vis yes or no?

For me it’s a Tourmaster Transition 5 for most riding in WI. Works well in most weather conditions and it’s comfortable 35-90 degrees. It’s the jacket I always wear on long road trips too. I have a Tourmaster/Cortech VRX I wear in FL as it’s better for warm weather. I had an Aerostich Roadcrafter Jacket for about 2 years. It was great quality but somehow it was never comfortable enough. There was nothing I didn’t like about it but I was always fussy wearing it and always thinking about it when I had it on. A good jacket to me is one you never think about when it’s on.

Last edited by Donk; 02-13-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 12:34 AM
Training wheels fitted!

So I'm on the forum this evening looking for an appropriate thread/post to boast a little on my recent jacket score, and your post pops up. Back to Team Blue after many years on Team Halloween (Black & Orange). Have many Team Halloween costumes, so figured I needed something appropriate to wear on the FJR. Searching our local C-List I found a new/old stock Yamaha Racing jacket, about the same vintage as my bike. It's a nice looking, heavy leather jacket, with CE armor in the elbows, shoulders, and a back pad. For $100 + shipping I couldn't pass it up. Whether it becomes my "favorite" jacket remains to be seen. Other than the branding it is very similar in design, and construction to my favorite H-D FXRG jacket, that I have had for 15+ years (without the dead bugs, and wear).

~Yeah, I'm a Boomer. You got a problem with that?!~

2007 FJR AE QuickSilver "The Quickest Color"
1999 XL1200 Sportster "Heritage Custom"
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 "the cow-Wee!" (sold)
1973 Yamaha RD350 "SMOKE'N!" (sold)
1970 MGB "the Wondermobile" Wonder if it'll start? Wonder if it'll stop? Wonder if it'll get me home?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

3/4 length Tourmaster Sonora. I am not wild about the inner rain liner which is why I use an outer Frogg Togg rainsuit. I have ridden from 40F to 117F. Using the rainsuit for an outer layer extends the lower boundary to about 35F for me.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:38 AM
Farkle Trainee

I'm tall and must have a size XL-Tall jacket so that right there limits my choices....
Otherwise, it has to fit me, have reasonable cost and yes, full blown HI-VIZ has been my color choice for years now.
Current jacket is a First Gear Jaunt model which I bought as a low cost ($200) light weight summer jacket but I've been wearing it year round for several years now.

It does the job, rain or shine, hot or cold for my little 35 min commute here in San Jose. Previous jacket is a First Gear Kilimanjaro which is still in good shape but I rarely wear it.
Regards,
Mr. BR
Old 02-14-2020, 05:35 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Aerostich darien. First gear Mesh Tex when itís hot, if Iím even wearing a jacket then.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:09 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Hi vis for sure for me! After watching a guy get sideswiped and go down at 65mph years ago, I want to be seen. The outcome was not good, and the memory of it will stick to some of the brain cells I still have left. My Olympia jacket probably isn't the best, but fits great, has armor, a warm removeable liner, and is the right color. I've never been one to want to stand out in the crowd, but there are exceptions

No, none of what is under my ride belongs to it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191027_061849.jpg (55.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Mt Lemmon Rider; 02-14-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
I have a Darien but it does not get much use since I got a Klim Lattitude. The Klim is very well made and has proven water tight on some extremely wet rides.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
Old 02-14-2020, 12:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

My absolute favorite almost all year round riding jacket is one you do not see anymore except on eBay possibly. The Cortech Riding Blues denim jacket. Its very thick and well built and fits better than any jacket I have ever worn. It has very nice elbow and back pads for extra protection, zippered ventilation, and comes with a liner as well. It still looks great after many years and miles.

For the real hot weather I use a Tourmaster mesh jacket. It has all the same great characteristics of the Cortech but is lightweight and as mentioned mesh, an absolute must in the sultry SC summers.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Old 02-14-2020, 02:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

I rely on 4 jackets. In the winter, it's a heavy duty Cortech Advanced Sport textile, that's silver, with an Olympia Hi-Viz vest over it. In spring and fall, a Tourmaster Advanced textile in Hi- Viz, in Summer a Tourmaster Intake Air 4 mesh in Hi-Viz and when Im feeling retro, a very nice Fox Creek leather that's black.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
Old 02-14-2020, 03:02 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I wear a Pilot Trans-Urban most of the year. The jacket (mid-thigh coat, really) is super well-made, lots of pockets, waterproof, removable quilted liner, shoulder, elbow and back armor. Costs about $240, if I remember right. In warmer weather, I wear a Pilot mesh waist-length jacket that comes with full pads and a removable rain liner. Also priced very reasonably. I think Pilot's stuff is made in Indonesia, rather than China FWIW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in