What’s Your Favorite Jacket - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 08:04 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have a Tourmaster Transition 3 hi-vis that I wear most of the time. I also wear a Alpinestars mesh jacket a lot.

In case anyone was interested, here are the totals as of this point in the thread:
(*numbers are based on "current wearing" though many listed jackets they used to own or want)

* Updated up to Post #51

Tourmaster - - - - 15 ***************
Aerostitch - - - - -6 ******
Joe Rocket - - - - -5 *****
Olympia - - - - - - 5 *****
Dainese - - - - - - 5 *****
Klim - - - - - - - -4 ****
Cortech - - - - - - 3 ***
Alpinestars - - - - 2 **
Belstaff - - - - - -2 **
First Gear - - - - -2 **
Pilot - - - - - - - 1 *
Fly Racing - - - - -1 *
Carharrt - - - - - -1 *
Icon - - - - - - - -1 *
KTM - - - - - - - - 1 *
British Moto Gear - 1 *
Vanson - - - - - - -1 *
Rev'it - - - - - - -1 *
Schott - - - - - - -1 *
Corazzo - - - - - - 1 *
Bilt - - - - - - - -1 *

Anyone that hasn't tried on a Tourmaster jacket really should... there is a reason for the totals above...
oldbaldsob likes this.

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x

Last edited by lue42; 02-21-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 10:02 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Well, I've a Aerostich R3 suit, not really a jacket, but, in essence, it IS the jacket I wear all year.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Lue42 Thanks for the tally. Letting no good deed go unpunished hopefully you can update it as needed.

When I got my Transition 5 the Tourmaster rep told me it’s waterproof to a point but a heavy downpour would overwhelm it. Before I go on a trip I coat it with Camp Dry waterproof spray. I put on as many coats as it takes until the Camp Dry stops absorbing into the fabric and starts running off. This seems to have no negative effect on the jackets breathability but sure seems to help keep the water out. I do my riding pants too, even did my tail bag. It really helps.

I’ve considered Klim which is supposed to be truly waterproof but they are European cut and I am an American build plus I cannot get my head around the price. I have no problem spending the money on an Aerostich, the quality is fantastic and it’s made in the US.(says the man riding a Yamaha and a Ducati)
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Last edited by Donk; 02-17-2020 at 05:28 PM.

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 08:22 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

@the Ferret asked why I thought my Stich had saved my life.
Of course you can't prove something like that, but I hit a 300lb buck head on at 70something mph, tumbled, rolled, slid for about 50 yards on asphalt, with a 400lb motorcycle tumbling with me.

I don't think heavy Cordura compares to cotton, so the coveralls comparison isn't applicable.

Had I been severely abraded in all the places the suit was, I don't think I would have survived.
Arai helmet, Sidi boots, Helimot Gloves helped as well.
These ought to clarify.

http://colevalley.net/five_twenty
http://colevalley.net/vtr_last_look

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
FjrjrF likes this.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 09:15 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-rama View Post
@the Ferret asked why I thought my Stich had saved my life.
Of course you can't prove something like that, but I hit a 300lb buck head on at 70something mph, tumbled, rolled, slid for about 50 yards on asphalt, with a 400lb motorcycle tumbling with me.

I don't think heavy Cordura compares to cotton, so the coveralls comparison isn't applicable.

Had I been severely abraded in all the places the suit was, I don't think I would have survived.
Arai helmet, Sidi boots, Helimot Gloves helped as well.
These ought to clarify.

http://colevalley.net/five_twenty
http://colevalley.net/vtr_last_look

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
ok thanks, I was just curious how you came to that conclusion.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 09:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

My favorite jacket is my Schott 585. It's a quality heavy leather jacket. I really only wear it in the spring and fall. In the summer I have a Corazzo 5.0? It's looking a little ratty as I'm looking at it now. It's not torn, I think it will make it another year. I remember the ol' Levi's jean jacket as my primary riding jacket. Loved them Jean jackets. How times have changed...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121021_111550_1581993179852.jpg (289.3 KB, 8 views)
Gray Squall likes this.

Last edited by Storm-64; 02-17-2020 at 09:34 PM.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 09:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well, moto-rama, that was a nice bike..... too bad it couldn't have been buffed out.......

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 10:03 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-64 View Post
My favorite jacket is my Schott 585. It's a quality heavy leather jacket. I really only wear it in the spring and fall. In the summer I have a Corazzo 5.0? It's looking a little ratty as I'm looking at it now. It's not torn, I think it will make it another year. I remember the ol' Levi's jean jacket as my primary riding jacket. Loved them Jean jackets. How times have changed...
oh man, a GS850G. what a great bike. I had an 81 Root Beer brown. the black ones were fantasic looking.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 10:31 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-64 View Post
Yes, I forgot about Schott. Their factory is still here in Union NJ. A hard working town, the kind Springsteen writes about. They have a factory sale once a year, I believe in the early fall. People line up in the morning on that day to get heavily reduced prices on new jackets. It goes by first come, first choice.

They call them motorcycle jackets, but to me, they look more fashion minded. That's just me. I don't think I was ever cool enough to wear one and get away with it. Although, I have thought about one of their jackets.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 11:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
It's nice to see the protective jackets and other gear people choose to wear. No tank tops, shorts, and flip-flops yet!

Like many others, I have accumulated several jackets over the years but there are three jackets that I use far more than others.

For hot, humid weather (90s F. +) it's my Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket with a leather upper shoulder area and arms. I've had this jacket since about 2007 and love how it fits and keeps me cool. The zip-out rain liner is good for unexpected light showers and brief cool night time jaunts. I've replaced the shoulder and back armor a couple of times too just for age. Although it's faded a lot, all the seams are still tight and there is no fraying of any of the stitching. A really well-made jacket.
2017 Triumph Speed Triple S and Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket.jpg

For cool to mild weather (50s to 70s F.) I usually wear an Alpinestars Hero leather jacket I've had since about 2003. It's a nice looking jacket with thick leather for excellent protection. I've crashed in it once and it held up perfectly with just a couple of scratches on it. The battle scars on it now add to it's coolness.
2003 Kawsaki Z1000 and Alpinestars Hero Leather Jacket.jpg

My jacket of choice for cold and/or wet weather and for longer tours is my Tourmaster Epic jacket. I've had this jacket since 2007. It looks identical to Tourmaster Transition so I'm assuming my Epic jacket is the precursor to the Transition model. Regardless, it's an extremely well made jacket of all trades with excellent rain protection. With my Gerbing heated liner, I've ridden comfortably when temps were down in the teens. This jacket has easily been the best investment I've ever made in a motorcycle jacket. I think I paid around $100 or so bucks for it during a sale at Gateway BMW in St. Louis, MO when I lived there.
2004 BMW R1150R and Tourmaster Jacket.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page