Highest Mileage Tire for the FJR. What say ye??? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Unread 01-20-2020, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Highest Mileage Tire for the FJR. What say ye???

Planning several long trips on my 2012 FJR this spring. Looking for the highest mileage tires. I'm willing to give up a little handling to get a higher mileage tire. Currently running Pilot 4 tires and got 8K miles out of them. What tires have you used and how many miles did you get out of them? Continental advertises a high mileage tire for The FJR. Anyone tried The Continental tires? Results? Thanks y'all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Unread 01-20-2020, 11:50 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
How many miles are you talking? Do you not want to change during the ride? If you're really concerned about milage and say you are willing to give up a little handling, then consider a car tire on the rear. Search for Darkside threads. A lot of info on those threads.
FJRChuck likes this.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Unread 01-20-2020, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I've been spoiled. . . . . .

My previous mount was a 2001 V-Max. Hard rubber was fine on that bike b/c V-Max bikes handle so bad anyway. I was getting 16K out of my front tire and 12K out of my rear tire. For my FJR, I'd like to find a 10 - 12K mile tire. May not exist. That's why I'm asking the experts (The FJR Forum).

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 12:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

I just replaced my Michelin PR4GT's at 9800 miles with another set of same. The front was worn out but the rear still had some miles on it. I replace tires as a set.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 01:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Car tire, definitely. I got 28,xxx miles from my first one, I shredded the second one, currently on my 3rd. Up front I use a Pilot POWER 2CT, generally get about 10K miles from it.
FjrjrF likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 01:40 AM
FJR Top Gun

PR4 or PR4 (same) is the longest life tire on FJR that I have experience with. There was another thread here where one claimed spectacular life from a Continental something-3.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 01:58 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
PR4 or PR4 (same) is the longest life tire on FJR that I have experience with. There was another thread here where one claimed spectacular life from a Continental something-3.
That was my thread...yes, about 13K from the Continental Road Attack 3's. But there are so many variables affecting tire life: weight, riding style, temperature, tire pressures, road surface, etc. That's while I detailed my stats at the beginning of my tire thread.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
FJRChuck and N4HHE like this.

2015 FJR1300A
2006 Majesty YP400
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 03:29 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
How heavy are you rolling?

You could be looking at whole different spectrum of tire.

I enjoy my sticky tires but the tire I never seen comeback when working in the shops was the Metzlers.

Once again like many people have posted you need to look at weight, rid"er" Style, What your temps are going to b,e what your speeds are going to be, and are you planning on leaning, soft pack KOA, asphalt all the way, Nasty city roads, overly looked roads, concrete, wet roads dry roads mountains.

The bridges New Orleans will jack up a tire not to mention down in Florida crossing back and forth on them big metal bastards!

Get what makes you happy don't worry about the fuel millage think about the twist smiles!
Take a tire pressure gauge and check pressure daily and account for temp weight altitude humidity how the bike feels If it feels soft add a little to firm ... you get the point!
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 08:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Michelin PR2's are a harder compound, will outlast a PR4. Dunlops usually known to be harder as well, try RS3's. These two will grip quite well in the warm and dry, less so in the cold and wet.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 10:25 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Car tire, definitely. I got 28,xxx miles from my first one, I shredded the second one, currently on my 3rd. Up front I use a Pilot POWER 2CT, generally get about 10K miles from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Michelin PR2's are a harder compound, will outlast a PR4. Dunlops usually known to be harder as well, try RS3's. These two will grip quite well in the warm and dry, less so in the cold and wet.
And there you have it Yamaha4ever, you've gotten a definitive answer in just a couple replies. Now do, and go on your ride with confidence, grasshopper.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in