2008 FJR 1300a oil recommendations - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZappo View Post
Curious,

How would one know this ? Is it because the FJR is not a V-TWIN ? How can one expect the name of something to dictate what it should be used for ? This is making too much sense ... Is olive oil just for lubricating olives ? Is baby oil just for babies ? Is KY oil only to be used in Kentucky ?

Its all madness ...

Because of the [SAE/Etc] info on the bottles and the [SAE/Etc] recommendations in the owners manual?

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 01-18-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:29 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Iíve run regular Yamaha and Honda oil in past bikes and had a mechanic recommended Specro golden when I was on my third bike, a Suzuki Hayabusa. That oil shifted better and quieted the top end noticeably. Ever since, I run at least a blend or full synthetic. I have not noticed much a difference between the full or blended synthetics in multiple brands including amsoil, specro, maxima, etc. The only oil I did not care for was Rotella because my bikes shifted clunkier. I put it in two bikes at the start of one season and found the poorer shifting occurred in a Ď76 CB750 and the hayabusa. After about a week, I drained it and replaced with a motorcycle specific synthetic oil and shifting was smooth again.
Iím not about spending stupid money on oils, unless I get a perceived benefit. The maxima line, for example, is a ester based full synthetic and costs less per oil change than most other synthetic blends with no perceived difference in performance. Itís my flavor of the month. The real test would be to send it to blackstone to compare with others for wear and longevity.
Iím in agreement with the guys that say put oil in it that meets spec and ride it because it wonít blow up BUT, I also think if you gain something like smoother shifts or quieter engine AND are willing to pay a little more, then go for it. Just my own self indulgent two cents...

2016 FJR1300A
N4HHE likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to MrZappo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZappo View Post
Curious,

How would one know this ? Is it because the FJR is not a V-TWIN ? How can one expect the name of something to dictate what it should be used for ? This is making too much sense ... Is olive oil just for lubricating olives ? Is baby oil just for babies ? Is KY oil only to be used in Kentucky ?

Its all madness ...

Because of the [SAE/Etc] info on the bottles and the [SAE/Etc] recommendations in the owners manual?

S A R C A S M 😁

Workin' them angels overtime ...

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 09:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sorry. Text is hard to tell intent with. It's as-presented unless otherwise annotated (at least for me).

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 09:38 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
I still use 15-50 synthetic cage oil and no clutch slippage but then I just figured the FJR was underpowered and to slow for the clutch to slip....................................
If you'd use Rotella, you'd unleash the beast and be dang happy you did.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 11:42 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Oil Good! No Oil, Bad!

~Yeah, I'm a Boomer. You got a problem with that?!~

2007 FJR AE QuickSilver "The Quickest Color"
1999 XL1200 Sportster "Heritage Custom"
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 "the cow-Wee!" (sold)
1973 Yamaha RD350 "SMOKE'N!" (sold)
1970 MGB "the Wondermobile" Wonder if it'll start? Wonder if it'll stop? Wonder if it'll get me home?
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 08:54 AM
Farkle Trainee

WARNING: off topic, but since this is an oil thread, who cares.
Quote:
124,000 were done in 2019
Whaaaa? 124000 miles / 365 days ~= 340 miles per day. An average of 340 miles per day for an entire year?? At a typical average speed of 50 MPH, that would about seven hours of riding EVERY SINGLE DAY for a year.

If that is true, then that person is some kind of super human rider.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 09:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitbox View Post
WARNING: off topic, but since this is an oil thread, who cares.

Whaaaa? 124000 miles / 365 days ~= 340 miles per day. An average of 340 miles per day for an entire year?? At a typical average speed of 50 MPH, that would about seven hours of riding EVERY SINGLE DAY for a year.

If that is true, then that person is some kind of super human rider.
He rode 67 Bun Burner Gold rides. That's 1500 miles in 24 hours. So in reality he is a bit of a piker. He only rode 67 days to go 112,000 miles, that doesn't sound too difficult. Just imagine what he can do when he's not holding down a full time job.

By the way..... he did use oil in his bikes while making those rides.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 06:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
He rode 67 Bun Burner Gold rides. That's 1500 miles in 24 hours. So in reality he is a bit of a piker. He only rode 67 days to go 112,000 miles, that doesn't sound too difficult. Just imagine what he can do when he's not holding down a full time job.

By the way..... he did use oil in his bikes while making those rides.
Well he was riding an FJR. Iím willing to bet he had oil ďinĒ his bike but odds are he didnít ďuseĒ any between changes.

Itís an amazing amount of riding and he is truly a hard core long distance rider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page