FJR Owners Forum banner

Showroom New 2016 FJR

6K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  rbentnail 
#1 ·
Hello folks. I am getting ready to buy a new 2016 FJR. It's been sitting going on four years at a dealership north of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. They said they'd install a new battery. My question is, is there anything else I should be concerned about, such as tires, coolant, brake fluid... It comes with a one year factory warranty. Thanks for any thoughts and wisdom you can offer.

#2 ·
The thing I'd be most concerned about is the fuel. If it has been sitting in the system for four years, then that is a problem. I would ask the dealer to replace the fuel and then hear the bike running. Coolant likely is no problem. Tires are probably at or near five years old, but if they are not showing any signs of checking or dry rot I would not be overly concerned. The brake fluid could possibly be an issue. Most concerning is the effect it could have on the ABS module. My guess is that the fluid is quite clean and there is no problem, but to be cautious I'd ask the dealer to flush the brakes including cycling the ABS system.

#3 ·
Kevin’s recommendations are spot on in my opinion, the only thing I would add is the factory YES extended warranty, it can be bought in theUS for as little as $390 and one problem with your bike will easily pay for it.

That “new” 2016 is a heck of a find with all benefits of the gen 3.5 (clutch, 6spd, led lighting) plus for me the shiny blue paint is a big draw. I would imagine being 4 model yrs old and winter that they should have substantially discounted it. Enjoy !

Reactions: FJRChuck
#5 ·
Thanks for the information fellows, I didn't even think about the old fuel in the system... I looked at this motorcycle two years ago and fell in love with the FJR. Then I found a 2012 FJR with 28,000 miles on it, so I bought it. It was in fine mechanical condition, but a little scratched up from a low speed tip over. Over the last two years I put 30,000 trouble free miles on the machine. I hate the thought of trading it in. I get so sentimental with my motorcycles. Anyone out there have two FJR's? I'll eventually will probably sell it if I can find the right person that passes the interview process. 🙂

#6 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about the 2016 sitting there. Most everything will be fine, but I would put in fresh fuel, some Seafoam and change out the brake/clutch fluids. Coolant will be OK, you'll wear the tires off soon enough, they're fine. If it floats your boat, go for it. Negotiate a coupon for 20% off any gear you buy (my dealer gives this out automatically) and perhaps that 600 mile service when you want the first oil / rear diff fluid change and the steering head bearings snugged up..... and check they put loctite on the saddlebag lock screws....
Don't trade in the '12, sell it later privately..... but I don't think you want two of them, you'll love the '16 too much.

Reactions: FVN and FjrjrF
#7 ·
I just got a new leftover 2016 last fall. Great looking blue and glad it has the updates. Mine runs great and I’m not sure all the dealers put fuel in them right away, that’s usually part of the prep I thought. Dealers in my area don’t generally prep until they’re sold, just assembled for the showroom. That’s just my experience with the two leftovers I’ve purchased recently.
As far as other fluids, they prob don’t start breaking down until they’re used/heated up. Tires would be my biggest concern but again they’re not going through heat cycles or out in the elements so should be in fine shape. Good luck with your purchase, I think you’ll be very satisfied.

2016 FJR1300A

#8 · (Edited)
Storm-64, I'm gonna take some flack for this, but once you start riding the '16, you'll be selling the '12. Sell it privately, the dealer will love not having to deal with a trade in and maybe be flexible on the price. You didn't mention the price range you were looking at? As it should be deeply discounted? Is it an "A" or an "ES"? How many actual miles are on it?

58k miles is NOT a lot of miles for a '12 in the FJR community, as long as it was well maintained. It will sell in cycle trader, no worries.

Take the cue's from Kevin and Ray. Their advice is always spot on.

#9 ·
Fuel, brake and clutch fluids and you’re good to go. Keep the ‘12 and sell it outright. Some bikes are easier to sell on your own than others and FJRs sell fairly easily. Be sure you remind the dealer you are buying a 4 year old bike when negotiating. Bottom line he wants it gone and obviously hasn’t had anyone else jumping up to buy it. Feel free to walk out if he isn’t giving you a great deal. Right now you are the only game in town. Most importantly go for it, get it bought and have fun.

#11 ·
I would have them change the oil before taking delivery. Condensation can (will) form in an engine, especially one that has not had oil circulating though it on a regular basis. Even in a climate controlled building it can happen, especially given that most businesses turn the temperature down at night and weekends. And I should also say when they turn up the temperature in the summer. The A/C is what takes the humidity out of the air.

It may not be an issue, but it’s cheap for a dealer to do it.

#12 ·
I bought a 2011 brand new FJR in Dec of 2014 from Cycle Springs. Got several thousands of dollars off! Bought the 4 year YES Yamaha extended warranty. The Yuasa battery came without acid added so they added it and gave it about a one hour charge and it lasted 5 years before I replaced it. The fuel system had not been used since leaving the factory and no fuel was in mind till after I purchased so I knew it wouldn’t be a problem. If it has had fuel in it that would be a concern. Changing brake and clutch fluid would have been nice but I don’t think needed. They put in fresh motor oil. I have had zero problems.

Reactions: passx
#15 ·
No, not yet. The stars are aligning as we speak. I'm hoping by the end of next week. I'm at least going to give them a deposit on it. I'm trying to keep this on the down low. I'm afraid of when I go get it, it will be sold. There's probably not to many leftover 16's around. So folks, please tell all your friends and neighbors that the FJR in Pittsburgh has been sold! Haha, just kidding. I know the saying "Money talks BS walks". One thing in my favor, we just got 3"of snow! Let it snow let it snow let it snow. I'll post a picture when it's on my trailer heading home. 👍

#16 ·
No, not yet. The stars are aligning as we speak. I'm hoping by the end of next week. I'm at least going to give them a deposit on it. I'm trying to keep this on the down low. I'm afraid of when I go get it, it will be sold. There's probably not to many leftover 16's around. So folks, please tell all your friends and neighbors that the FJR in Pittsburgh has been sold! Haha, just kidding. I know the saying "Money talks BS walks". One thing in my favor, we just got 3"of snow! Let it snow let it snow let it snow. I'll post a picture when it's on my trailer heading home. 👍
Yeah, this is definitely the way to "keep it on the down low". LOL

Good luck, I am just jealous.

#17 ·
I stumbled on my '14 Root Beer during December when Yammie was handing out a big rebate.... purchased (deposit only) but let dealer keep it until March, which he was quite willing to do...... FJR's aren't selling a lot these days, you'll be good.

#19 ·
I bought an 85 Venture Royale(still in the crate) in 1990 that I had for 22 years. I would agree on the brake/clutch fluids. I ended up bleeding my clutch on a road trip shortly after somewhere in south dakota.

I like that blue,congrats

#27 ·
A little update on this topic. I stopped at the dealership Saturday, talked to the salesman. I tried to give him a deposit to hold the motorcycle till Friday but he wouldn't take it. So now I'm crossing my fingers that nobody buys it between now and Friday. I'm trying to sell my 2012 myself, but I might have to take a hit and trade it in. I don't want to take the chance of someone buying the 2016 while I'm trying to sell my motorcycle. Last night I "defarkled" my motorcycle by taking off my add-ons, removed all my cool stickers... So fellows Friday is the day! (fingers crossed)

#28 ·
If you trade in the 2012, you'll get way less than it's worth. I would "take the hit" by hanging onto it and sell it privately... meanwhile, they should take your deposit providing you actually sign a deal to buy it... negotiate a down payment with full balance payable when you pick it up later in March..... meanwhile, get the '12 up for sale.
And remember, if it doesn't all happen, there's always a deal out there somewhere.

#29 ·
Concerning the fuel issue as someone else pointed out, I bought my 2012 in 15 as a hold over.
I had concerns about stale fuel, but the owner of the dealership is a long time bike racer and only runs premium non ethanol in all of his bikes and all of his new stock.
I know many will tell you that modern bikes are designed to run on ethanol gas and I don’t disagree. I only run non ethanol in my bike. Maybe I am wasting money but I have never had any fuel problems.
YMMV.

#30 ·
Well, I sold my 2012 FJR to a local fellow. He got a good deal on a nice motorcycle. I got more money than the dealer was going to give me on trade. I'm picking up my new motorcycle tomorrow morning. Probably the last new 2016 on a dealer's floor in the United States... I just love the glossy blue of the 16' my favorite gen III FJR. Is it spring time yet?

#31 ·
Well Storm, you should have your new beautiful blue 2016 by now, I applaud your patience & luck as this thread is a month old now, glad you got it, enjoy.

Now I would suggest you add your location & bike model & year to your signature to help us help you if needed now that you have “the” bike,,, enjoy!

#33 ·
I picked up my new motorcycle today! And not a day to soon. They said after posting it on Facebook it got a lot of interest. After getting it home I gave it a good bath! Dust, dirt, and finger prints all over it. Both mirrors have scrapes on them. I guess pushing it around the showroom for three years will do that... So folks the last new 16' has been sold. Now, come on spring time!!!

Attachments

#43 ·
The pics from Aran on page two, post #18, shows the two side bags attached at the dealer's showroom. Your trailer pic didn't show them as I figured you were trailering her. The pic in your garage, I thought, uh oh. Maybe you didn't get them. Standard equip is both hard side bags, cloth bag inserts with the FJR logo on them, two sets of keys, small tool bag under seat, 6 (same) color plugs for where the bags hang off the rear and under (3 each side), operators manual, extra key lock for a Yamaha top case. If you did not get all that, the dealer owes you because it was showroom new, correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.