FJR Owners Forum banner

A Note on Customer Service

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  bounce 
#1 · (Edited)
I am fairly good at finding deals every now and then on the internet. But sometimes, I’ll go with a tried and true vendor instead of someone a few dollars cheaper. And sometimes, that pays off.

I recently bought a couple of comm items made by a manufacturer that I won’t name, but that rhymes with Sena. As a matter of fact, I’ll just use the name Sena to refer to the manufacturer here. Instead of going $15 cheaper somewhere else, I ordered from Revzilla. Turns out, one of the units (rare to have problems with this company’s gear, which is why most of us use them) was bad out of the box.

I contacted the manufacturer. They diagnosed the unit as defective, and told me they’d replace the unit. But they never generated an RMA. That, their operators told me, was a separate department, not one they could help with or that I could contact directly. So I had all my confirmations, but I couldn’t actually send the unit back. Even if I had sent it back, according to customer service at Sena, it would have been around a month before I could have expected replacement, at best. Every time I spoke or corresponded with them, their notes would reflect randomly different things than what we discussed. It was like dealing with cinnaminions. Great energy, but difficulty with the language and with actually getting anything done. Terrible service overall, and this is a product that was defective from the factory.

So, even though it wasn’t their problem, I talked to Revzilla. They said “Chill, we’ve got this” and will have a new unit on the way pronto (they provided return info for the defective one). Fast, no bullshit. Great service and efficiency. I’ve experienced the same with Black Hills Moto and Cycle Gear.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good to hear Revzilla had your back. I've had to return two sets of new Senas over the years and there was never a hassle. That being said, Revzilla's customer service has always been very good and they are my first stop for motorcycle gear.

Motorcycle SuperStore used to be good as well, but once they were bought out by JP Cycle they went straight into the crapper, in my opinion.

#3 ·
Also great experience with RevZilla. Box arrived with tape stretched and pulled away from the box in places, and just generally beat up. When I opened the box I had some missing shoulder protectors. It looked like someone had reached in and grabbed what they could, and pulled them out. It is possible they fell out, but with difficulty.

I felt somewhat embarrassed calling them, imagining the person on the other end suspecting that I made the story up, but why I would for $20, and an order for $400, but I guess stranger things have happened. Anyway I sent them photos of the box and they sent replacement for the missing protectors. Great service.

#5 ·
More kudos to Revzilla from me too.. They are my first place to shop on-line. For my very first Revzilla order I had a shipping address issue but not their fault the town I live in doesn't have it's own Post Office or Zip Code. Revzilla handled that little issue far better than most vendors can or would do, some won't even try.. Revzilla even plopped a $25.00 voucher in my account just because I had to explain my shipping address problem a second time for that very first order I placed.

Funny how having a $25.00 voucher burning a hole in my pocket has a way of turning into a $150.00 second purchase.

Reactions: bjoynes
#6 ·
Although I don't purchase all my motorcycle needs from Revzilla, they ARE the place to go. I once never received my order and they quickly resent the entire order. It was not cheap for them and they did not question. Great customer service then, it is good to hear their merging with Cycle Gear did not affect this great customer service, or, the product videos with just about everything they sell!

#8 ·
This right here is the reason to always go back to the place of purchase with a problem. The mfr generally doesn't care but the distributor has a reputation to defend.

#13 · (Edited)
Update- second 20s Evo has the same malfunction. Two units, identical problem, updates, hard resets, etc do not work. Talked to Sena again they said they’re going to try to escalate to their team in Korea, and maybe there will be a software update some time in the new year that will fix the flaw. I figured out a workaround to “wake up” voice commands, but it sort of defeats having voice control.

#16 ·
Update- second 20s Evo has the same malfunction. Two units, identical problem, updates, hard resets, etc do not work. Talked to Sena again they said they're going to try to escalate to their team in Korea, and maybe there will be a software update some time in the new year that will fix the flaw. I figured out a workaround to "wake up" voice commands, but it sort of defeats having voice control.
So you are going to try dealing directly with Sena again??? Is Revzilla walking away form the problem after replacing it?

FWIW, I have the 30K (a few dollars more expensive) and no problems at all with voice commands. While riding along just listening to my tunes I use to get an occasional "Intercomm failed try again later" audio message even tho I wasn't even trying to connect with another Sena, but turning off the Vox solved that.

#18 ·
No. I’m just using the unit like it is. Everything else works except you have to use a button to wake up “hello Sena”. There is no fix for that shortcoming at this time. Kind of like the randomness that led Sena to design and program the SRL2 for Neotec 2 to not accept charging while the unit is on, they have programmed the voice control feature to go to sleep after the first use. Odd, not proper function, but I’m not spending any more time on it. Perhaps a future firmware update will correct it.

#19 · (Edited)
No. I'm just using the unit like it is. Everything else works except you have to use a button to wake up "hello Sena". There is no fix for that shortcoming at this time. Kind of like the randomness that led Sena to design and program the SRL2 for Neotec 2 to not accept charging while the unit is on, they have programmed the voice control feature to go to sleep after the first use. Odd, not proper function, but I'm not spending any more time on it. Perhaps a future firmware update will correct it.
Ahhhh, okay, I could live with that minor inconvenience too. Which button? I hope it's just a simple tap on the big dial.
If'n it were me I would probably see if Revzilla would let me upgrade to the 30K.

Reactions: Bill Lumberg
#20 ·
Revzilla is where I buy most all my motorcycle gear. They match a lower price if you find one, provide great advice, returns are easy, heck they even express shipped a rain suit to me before I left on a trip at no charge to me.

No reason to go anywhere else IMO.

#21 ·
As to the Sena- I can't guess if it's an option for you, but if you are able to get your area's International Motorcycle Show coming up you ought to be able to get face-to-face with an actual Sena guy who knows stuff.
Last February we spent a very interesting 20 minutes or so at the Chicago show with such a fellow and learned a lot about Sena products in general. Even though we'd been using them for a number of years, we picked up useful stuff.
In fact, the Missus got so cranked up that she hiked over to a local dealer's booth and bought us a whole new 20S outfit for our new Arais.
Meanwhile, as to Revzilla, they've impressed us as well.
Honestly, I always try to get with the two local dealers first, even at a couple bucks more, but some things just have to be gotten on the Net. Revzilla does it for us and during our one little problem with a product from them they fixed it instantly.
Their website product videos have given the Missus a great deal of education, too.

#22 ·
Pondering customer service things yesterday when I saw the Domino's "Pizza Insurance" ad (somewhere that I couldn't fast forward past it).

It left me wondering what it was they had spent millions of $ on to tell us. That they finally do basic customer service for poor performance? Replacing wrong orders, etc. is what EVERYONE does. Right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.