Dealer experience - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Dealer experience

Not sure where I should put this. I recently bought a 2019 fjr from ď Kevin Powell motorsports ď in Greensboro N C. Bike was purchased on 25 oct. as of this posting my local tag office has yet to receive the needed paperwork to get the bike registered. Every time I call the dealership itís the same thing, weíll look into it and get back to you, to which they donít return the call. I just wanted to put this info out there so if anyone here or anyone here knows someone thinking about doing business with these people beware. Iíll keep calling but until someone there gets off their duff and gets the paperwork to my local tag office Iím not able to legally ride it. Their customer service is the pits!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm not surprised. I'm just down the road from there in Asheboro. Every time I've been in there I've not felt good vibes.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

It's surprising the number of dealerships that suck. From my experience, motorcycle dealerships are the worst. Why most have this "take it or leave it" approach to sales and service is beyond me.

When you find one (or two) that are great to deal with - I try to give them as much business as possible.

I was lucky to find exceptional dealerships for my Ducati and my Yamaha - unfortunately I moved away from both of them - now I'm looking again.

Currently:
2004 Miata
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
2017 Ducati Monster

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:10 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlr_45 View Post
Not sure where I should put this. I recently bought a 2019 fjr from “ Kevin Powell motorsports “ in Greensboro N C. Bike was purchased on 25 oct. as of this posting my local tag office has yet to receive the needed paperwork to get the bike registered. Every time I call the dealership it’s the same thing, we’ll look into it and get back to you, to which they don’t return the call. I just wanted to put this info out there so if anyone here or anyone here knows someone thinking about doing business with these people beware. I’ll keep calling but until someone there gets off their duff and gets the paperwork to my local tag office I’m not able to legally ride it. Their customer service is the pits!
In Missouri, we have 30 days from the date of purchase to title a vehicle. After that of course, late fees begin to pile up. I'm assuming it's the same in Virginia?

I've heard of horror stories about car dealerships that were going out of business taking customers' money but keeping the vehicle titles, not paying off trade-in loans, and simply not doing anything after the sale.

I sure hope that dealer you bought your bike from can only be accused of being lazy and not larceny. Good luck getting this resolved!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Iíve made several phone calls since the purchase. In every instance itís the same thing. ď Iíll look into it and call you back. ď tomorrow Iíll call again. Being in ga. isnít making this any easier for me and I think they know that, hence the lack of urgency on their part to expedite this issue. Iíve already been on a review board posting my experience with this dealership. Called Yamaha consumer affairs and made them aware of the problem. If some progress isnít made this week Iíll probably look into an attorney. Iím not going to keep doing this
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

You can go with the full nuclear option. Best if you can document the number of contacts you have made, along with names of persons you have talked to.

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/programs/f...s/default.aspx

'14 FJR1300ES
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlr_45 View Post
Not sure where I should put this. I recently bought a 2019 fjr from “ Kevin Powell motorsports “ in Greensboro N C. Bike was purchased on 25 oct. as of this posting my local tag office has yet to receive the needed paperwork to get the bike registered. Every time I call the dealership it’s the same thing, we’ll look into it and get back to you, to which they don’t return the call. I just wanted to put this info out there so if anyone here or anyone here knows someone thinking about doing business with these people beware. I’ll keep calling but until someone there gets off their duff and gets the paperwork to my local tag office I’m not able to legally ride it. Their customer service is the pits!
I have used them for a tire change or two when I was on a time limit. My office is only 5 minutes away from them so easy to drop off and pick up. I tried pricing a new KTM there once and really was not happy with their attention span, so I Could only imagine after the sale.Personally I'd just show up Even if you are some hours away, it might still be the best bet. They cant put you off when you are there face to face, and it's hard for them to tend to other customers with you in there talking about missing paperwork. They will want to get you taken care of and out of there.

FWIW I bought a Versys of the Winston Salem location and went in with all my money squared away a head of time and took delivery of the bike and all was painless and easy.

As I said Im just down the road from them, let me know if I can help in some way.

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300

Last edited by ronheater1970; 12-03-2019 at 12:02 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

An update! I called the Winston-Salem store this morning and spoke with a guy there ( Mike ) and had a lengthy ( and polite ) conversation regarding my situation. He agreed to look into and get back to me. This was about 9:30 this morning. By 11:45 I had already had 3 phone calls from the dealer telling me they needed a copy of the ins. binder to complete the process. My first question was ď what did you do with the copy you made at the time of purchase? No answer! Second question was if you knew this was the problem holding up the process why didnít someone from the dealership call requesting the needed info to complete the paperwork? Again, no answer. I called my ins. agent who provided the info, and was told the paperwork would be overnighted to the DMV here thus clearing the way for registration. Hopefully this will resolve itself by the end of the week. Weíll see!...... @ronheater1970 , I appreciate the offer of assistance. Hopefully it wonít come to that. If you find yourself in the coastal ga. area and need help with anything post up here. Truck, trailer, and tools are always near by.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:37 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I had purchased a Brand new Yamaha R6S back in 2007 from a dealer down here in Downers Grove, IL

They slapped me with many options that I did not want including LoJack and extended warranty. I opted out but found in the paperwork they still sold it to me. I bought the motorcycle on Yamaha Credit and got approved and was excited and trusted them and signed paperwork without reading fine print.

Once they sold me the motorcycle they acted like they did not know me. No call backs on inquiring stuff and very rude and same we'll get back to you game..I was literally after them for 6 months to cancel extended warranty and other fancies they sold me and they still charged me some 10% cancellation charge along with the headache.

Very bad customer service that I did not even take my motorcycle there for a break-in service.

Whenever I passed by that dealer it always reminded me of the bad customer service and how they ripped me off. Just gave me a bad feeling.

Fast forward 2010 they were out of business and closed for good. And this was a big dealership with Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and some other brands

Lesson: If you rip someone off sooner or later you will get ripped off.

There are very few good dealerships whether it is cars or motorcycles. If you find one just go the extra mile drive but stick to them.

Current Motorcycles

2014 FJR 1300 A Red

2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 Carburetted
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:44 AM
FJR Top Gun

I don’t understand what the dealer needs of your insurance to provide the necessary proof of purchase that you need for the DMV?

Likely the DMV will demand proof of insurance.

If trouble persists and you financed the FJR, contact the financial institution. You expect to receive the vehicle in fit condition to use for the intended purpose of same. That means it must be capable of being licensed for street use.

Why do my posts triple space and have to be cleaned up in preview or edit? I intend the one blank line separating paragraphs but not two blank lines. Notice I’m not the only one.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page