Winter Woes - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Winter Woes

How many of you ride your bikes all year? I'm in Michigan and we had record snowfall last week so I have not been riding even though its all melted off the roads. I am getting super antsy looking at the poor unridden bike in the garage every day pulling my truck in and out. How much of a concern is the salt and whatnot? I have a hose hookup in my garage so I am able to hose the bike off before pulling it back in.

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A - Black Cherry
1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2019, 11:25 AM
Farkle Trainee

I ride all year round just south of you in Ohio. Of course I dont ride if there is snow or ice accumulated on the road, but I will ride any day the roads are clear. Yes salt and brine can be an issue on certain motorcycle parts, mostly brackets, bolts, engine cases, wheels. If you have the ability to rinse it off after a ride, that is good. I don't so my bikes suffer some,but the alternative is not riding for 4 months or so and that is not really an alternative to me. If you are one that likes to keep your bike pristine,probably not a good idea to ride after they spread the first salt, until the first or second big rain in the spring.
Redfish likes this.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I ride all year round just south of you in Ohio. Of course I dont ride if there is snow or ice accumulated on the road, but I will ride any day the roads are clear. Yes salt and brine can be an issue on certain motorcycle parts, mostly brackets, bolts, engine cases, wheels. If you have the ability to rinse it off after a ride, that is good. I don't so my bikes suffer some,but the alternative is not riding for 4 months or so and that is not really an alternative to me. If you are one that likes to keep your bike pristine,probably not a good idea to ride after they spread the first salt, until the first or second big rain in the spring.
Sounds to me like you're saying I need to buy another motorcycle to ride during inclement weather. I'm convinced!

All jokes aside I wouldn't mind having a little 250cc scooter to commute to work on, with the engine and you sitting on top of the rear wheel they would probably do well in the winter with a decent set of tires. You wouldn't have any wind on your legs.

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A - Black Cherry
1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing."

Old 11-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I ride all year and always try to make an extra effort to deep clean the bike in the spring. More than just a wash - go deep into all the areas you don't normally get to during a normal wash. The salt does leave some traces that are hard to erase, but overall it's worth it for me
Old 11-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Farkle Trainee

Yea I had a 400 Majesty Yamaha scooter for awhile and it was a pretty handy little thing.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:38 PM
Farkle Trainee

I ride a snowmobile in winter and putt around on a 4 wheeler blasting birds in the fall. No salt is gonna touch my bike ever, my cars all get wrecked by salt so im pretty anal about the bike.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:35 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
In Jersey, they spread rock salt, brine, sand, and any thing they could find when it snows. Once the snow melts all that debris is in the road and usually positions in the turns. I don't take her out when that happens till spring rains move the accumulated debris off the roads. I can handle the cold, the debris is what always stops me.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
Old 11-21-2019, 09:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustGutsOG View Post
How many of you ride your bikes all year? I'm in Michigan and we had record snowfall last week so I have not been riding even though its all melted off the roads. I am getting super antsy looking at the poor unridden bike in the garage every day pulling my truck in and out. How much of a concern is the salt and whatnot? I have a hose hookup in my garage so I am able to hose the bike off before pulling it back in.
Bwaaahhaaa, it's only November and already you have PMS!! (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome). Short answer, hide it with a cover on the bike and fergedaboudit... meanwhile, here east of you, warm spell has melted all the snow, roads mostly dry, but....
PS - don't forget your battery tender.
kukablack likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
Old 11-21-2019, 11:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Out west here in Northern Alberta we pretty much have to park it in early November and usually itís early April before you can really get out and ride again...I hate winter😝
Old 11-21-2019, 11:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenk View Post
I ride all year and always try to make an extra effort to deep clean the bike in the spring. More than just a wash - go deep into all the areas you don't normally get to during a normal wash. The salt does leave some traces that are hard to erase, but overall it's worth it for me
I'm also a year round rider as the PNW typically hovers in the upper 30s and mid-40s in the winter. Ride with 4-season heated jacket liners, overpants and battery operated heated gloves for now. Installed Oxford heated adventure grips and love them. Added Vstrom handguards and added Garauld's handguard extenders. Put on the huge Rifle windshield.

Looking at my company's motorcycle parking lot and looking at the roads on the Eastside, maybe only 15% are riding in the light rain, showers and colder temps. Snowflakes!!!!! Tonight I was at my favorite dealer and they were complaining that too many of their Eastside customers are far weather riders. Hard to sell heated gear? I was looking at a heated jacket liner and a set of heated glove to power with 12V so I can go on long rides during the "Long Dark".

Riding all year gives you a chance to really work on your skills, techniques and strategies - commuting, low speed handling, smooth transitions, defensive riding. My Harley co-workers call me RED (Ride Every Day). Appreciate the chance to ride through the winter but not when black ice, snow, sub-freezing temps or other dangerous conditions like flooding are around.

mortenk and the Ferret like this.

2005 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A

Last edited by jtdunc; 11-22-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in