H-D Sport Glide? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

H-D Sport Glide?

Anyone own or spend any amount of time on a H-D Sport Glide?
I'd be interested in knowing what you think, specific to the Sport Glide I mean, not Harley in general.
I know they re-did the suspension, inverted Showa shocks up front, the 107 engine, "claim to" have eliminated the excess shake/vibration common in H'D's.

I'm not a Harley guy, never cared for them much, nor the "culture", walking around in the showroom waiting for a buddy, it caught my eye.
Thanks

Currently:
2004 Miata
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
2017 Ducati Monster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I’ve come close. I almost bought a midnight black road king a while back. It almost had me. But it didn’t have ABS so I walked away. Different bike than you’re looking at, I’m just saying, I get it.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Almost took it out for a ride, figured I'd wait till spring to have more time to think about it. It would be a big departure for me in terms of riding style, so, not something I want to do without giving it a lot of thought.

Currently:
2004 Miata
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
2017 Ducati Monster

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Brasi View Post
Anyone own or spend any amount of time on a H-D Sport Glide?
I'd be interested in knowing what you think, specific to the Sport Glide I mean, not Harley in general.
I know they re-did the suspension, inverted Showa shocks up front, the 107 engine, "claim to" have eliminated the excess shake/vibration common in H'D's.

I'm not a Harley guy, never cared for them much, nor the "culture", walking around in the showroom waiting for a buddy, it caught my eye.
Thanks

Test rode a 2018 with the new engine but not much to compare to since I've never owned an older Harley. The engine was pleasantly smooth due to counterbalanced engine. On acceleration there is vibration but its manageable. Otherwise nice bike, Bosch ABS and good luggage. Decided on a new 2018 FJR instead.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

thanks Shark

Currently:
2004 Miata
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
2017 Ducati Monster
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 08:27 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Luca, that HD will give you issues on the Dragon! Seeing your rides in your stable, that HD has no ground clearance on those twisty's if taken aggressively which your FJR and Monster can. By the way, nice choices on your rides!

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
The H-D Sport Glide is a beautiful bike:

I wondered why the V-Rod never really sold?
The first Harley-Davidson street motorcycle to feature a modern engine with DOHC and liquid cooling. Great HP for a Harley: 115125 hp
But lower ground clearance. That Revolution engine was jointly developed and engineered with Porsche.

Love the V-Rod Muscle:

But I see few on the road.
RERJr and passx like this.

2005 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:55 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Engine by Porsche!!

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 01:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Outside of the sporty which got updated (balanced) in 2007, starting in 1999 the bigger bikes are either a “dyna” which is rubber mounted (Electra-glide, roadking, wideglide,superglide, all Dyna’s) and smooth other than at idle and even then pretty smooth, if not a dyna then it would be a “B” balanced motor (heritage softail, all-labeled Softail ) which both that I have ridden were every bit as smooth as a Goldwing. Not real sure about the new Milwaukee 8 or the Rushmore engines but I’ve been Told that they are smoother with a lot more power, the 107 in the sport glide is in that engine family.

The V-Rod with the Porsche Revolution engine was a great piece, very well done except for the stupid “C” shape riding position. In my opinion that engine should have been used in a standard bike something like the new Indian FTR which is a hoot to ride, very nice. The Revolution engine had a lot of potential. But the “faithful” never accepted it because of the Porsche connection. Idiots !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 11-22-2019 at 01:08 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 02:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

A couple weeks ago I paid a visit to a somewhat local HD (50 miles) dealer just to look. I rode my R1100RSL that day. The owner came out to greet me as I was removing my helmet. His first question was how I could stand the RS riding position. He actually really meant it. I explained it best I could to him and a couple of curious customers. They were amazed at the single sided swing arm. lol..lol.. Anyway, the owner started up a couple of the bikes and explained some of the V8 technology and insisted I take a test ride on any bike that interested me, I politely declined the offer but I was curious. I've been on street bikes for over 45 years and have never ridden an HD. I will admit to being very much impressed with the new HD bikes but the C riding position has always been the stopper for me and my bad lower back. I also mentioned that I owned an FJR and the guy was totally unfamiliar with the FJR which is hard for me to believe but at the same time these guys were totally in the dark when it comes to BMW as well. Anyway, the dealer also pointed out that some long time HD riders actually complained that the new motors didn't have enough vibration and apparently some models actually had the counter balancers modified to intentionally increase the vibes. Go figure! I do wish I had taken him up on his test ride offer but I'm actually afraid I might unintentionally over cook a curve and damage his bike which would not be a good thing for me or the bike. Just too many years on sport touring machines to change now I'm afraid. The dealer is a heck of a nice guy and I enjoyed visiting with him and his customers. Maybe if I was younger?
RaYzerman, NealC, passx and 1 others like this.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page