First Yamaha - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

First Yamaha

Looking at a 2016 Blue ES with 2,700mi and new tires. Bought and serviced at same dealer. They said he changed tires just because he wanted the brand he liked. First time considering a Yamaha but saw an FJR and seems like a good sport tour bike . A bit more engine and slightly heaver than I need but should be ok with that. Not sure I want the ES option as I never needed it and probably never will. Does it make maintenance harder or more expensive? Reliability? Thanks in advance for any opinions. Not sure if it's proper to post asking price and feedback on that ? I'm sure that gets old for some of you.
Thanks, Murf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 09:27 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Welcome, Murf. No difference from 2016 to present and that milage is as good as new. ES option, (I have it) you WILL use as you get familiar with the bike. Allows for customizing the suspension between highway and twisty's on the fly. No additional maintenance is required for the ES. As for price...... that is always a issue. As I said, besides color, there is really no difference between 2016 and up, so I would guesstimate USD 14k to 16k depending on the slight wear and tear. 16K would be a as new price and I would tend to be nearer the 14k.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

I bought a 16ES almost 2 years to the day. If it’s of any help it had 3,500 miles on it and it was bone stock and flawless. I paid $12K(great deal at the time and I spent months looking and hoping) Added the typical add ons for LD touring and put 15K miles on this year including a trip to Deals Gap and a trip out to the Southwest in September. Superb machine. It really does most everything so very well as long as you are comfortable with the weight in low speed maneuvers.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I agree loved the bikes handling thru the dragon and on strip
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

They are at $11,500 out the door. So seems like a reasonable deal. Thanks.
Bill Lumberg likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 05:47 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon77 View Post
Looking at a 2016 Blue ES with 2,700mi and new tires. Bought and serviced at same dealer. They said he changed tires just because he wanted the brand he liked. First time considering a Yamaha but saw an FJR and seems like a good sport tour bike . A bit more engine and slightly heaver than I need but should be ok with that. Not sure I want the ES option as I never needed it and probably never will. Does it make maintenance harder or more expensive? Reliability? Thanks in advance for any opinions. Not sure if it's proper to post asking price and feedback on that ? I'm sure that gets old for some of you.
Thanks, Murf
A friend has the '16, and I love that blue. Replacing the OEM tires just because he didn't like them is perfectly logical. I don't think anyone liked them.

Reliability is definitely not a problem. I can't think of any negatives. I suppose most people opt for a more comfortable saddle, and the horn's not very loud. What else? ..... I can't think of anything.

That price sounds very fair to me, though I don't know where it is. If I were in the market that price sure wouldn't put me off any.

Make sure the first service has been done and enjoy.

Welcome aboard.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:49 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon77 View Post
Not sure I want the ES option as I never needed it and probably never will.
Welcome to the forum.

I was in the same thought process. Why the extra money when I'm going to end up changing springs and stuff like I always have? But I was able to get a better deal on a ES than the A. The dealer said it scared people off as too complicated, and wanted it off his floor.

I'm glad that worked out like that. This is the only late model motorcycle I have owned that I have done nothing to "upgrade" the suspension on. And the ability to drop it to soft while riding slab to the escarpment, then switch to my "mountain" set-up before making the climb is well worth it to me.

Is it perfect? No. If I were to use this mostly for "sport" riding, the suspension would be a little soft and I would be making changes. But I purchased it to be a touring bike (I only ride it on distance trips). And as a touring bike, it has great legs. And I can change the feel with a few button pushes if I want to scrape the pegs.

'14 FJR1300ES
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Well, looks like I'm buying the bike this week unless something unforeseen happens. FJR is slightly taller and 100lbs heaver than my Kawasaki so a learning curve there. Barely 5'7 and on the light side so if I can get it out of the steep dealer driveway I'll be ok. Going to have to search for highway pegs for a planned trip next summer .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

Not sure where you are located, but if you're not tied to that particular bike (ES) or that dealer, I've just about decided to change bikes in the spring of 2020...so if you're interested in a spotless 2016 A (i.e. manually-adjustable suspension, not electronic) with low miles (4500?) and you're in the Seattle area, feel free to drop me a PM and we can discuss further. It has the two usual mods most FJR owners typically make -- 1" GenMar block risers and a upgraded seat (Saddleman, front and rear) -- so it's good to go as-is for its new owner without the hassle of doing it yourself.

2016 FJR1300A
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I'm committed at this point and on the opposite coast but thank you as that would have worked if I were closer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in