Tracer GT anyone? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Tracer GT anyone?

Is it just me or does the Tracer GT create more than just a little curiosity? There has been all this talk of lighter bikes as “we” age and so forth. I’m not selling my FJR but I do have to admit the idea of a lighter smaller bike has a certain appeal. I have no idea what sales numbers are FJR vs Tracer GT but it looks like Yamaha’s betting on the GT going forward. I wonder how it would do on big mile days? If my math’s correct my FJR should outlast me but no reason I can’t do the mental exercise.
kej1953 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:01 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Donk, I had serious interest in the Tracer GT due to the smaller,lighter allure, plus I love that 900 triple, but after riding one I no longer have any interest. The one i rode had the touring seat and shield. It just felt rough and crude, for me the seat is the Worst seat i’ve ever Experienced including the oe fjr seat. The Tracer is also a very tall bike, kinda has that motto vibe going. Didn’t care for the instruments display, hard to see easily.

I would suggest you go ride one and decide for Yourself, there are some nice features but I like my heavy & tall fjr much better.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:07 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The Tracer GT is on my radar as an eventual replacement for my FJR, but I'm losing interest as I'm having too much fun on my Honda CBF1000 and some have been steering me towards an FZ1.... these are great bikes that can be had for a lot less money..... lots of low milers around.

I inititally liked the Tracer but second test ride wasn't as impressive as the first... had the lower seat which is terrible as Steve says. The inline fours are impressing me more....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:11 AM
Farkle Trainee

Yamaha Canada site is including Tracer 900, Tracer 900GT and Nikken GT in their "TOURING" category together with the FJR and Star Venture, in my eyes I don't see the first three bikes have any future in 2UP touring. They are great machines, but should not be mixed up with FJR and similar. It seems Yamaha is banking on Tracer GT to replace the FJR.

Honda killed ST1300, Triumph killed Trophy and Sprint, there are some rumors Concourse or GTR14 will become history. I guess the "ST" bikes as we know it and love so much, are not selling well to justify production. My guess is if BMW was selling their ( $30K ) RT at $17K - $18K like FJR does, it would probably be discontinued as well.

Speaking of the (german) devil, was at the local dealer yesterday checking the remaining '19 inventory on RT's and 1600GT and GTL, the msrp sticker prices on these bikes are pushing $33K to 37K before taxes and freight :-O crazy !!! So to be expected the 2020 bikes will probably be creeping up close to 40K wow.

Back to Tracers, good fun, nimble, great handling around town, not so much on the highway, especially when passing semis and side wind. Definitely not providing long hours comfort for 1UP or 2UP, but great "second bike to run errands".

There is simply no "one bike" that does it all well, so to own two or three bikes makes perfect sense if you can afford it.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:17 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I will add that in my opinion the Nikken GT was a better ride than the Tracer GT, just “felt” better put together, so long as you didn’t look down to see the very wide front end and all the clap trap ($$$) underneath it.

To add to that, the cost of the Nikken GT that I rode with soft bags was just under 20k while the new fjr Es that I rode right after it was 17k with useable hard bags and electrically adjustable vs manual windshield and quite frankly felt like a fine wine compared to the Nikken or the Tracer.

A fz1 would be a real contender for a fjr replacement, very well done, and a really nice bike, only negatives are the chain drive (maybe) and no cruise or luggage but those bikes can be-had cheap. The fz1 replacement fz10 not so much, clown bike imho. A Kawi ninja 1000 is really the next gen fz1 or what it should have become had mother Yamaha continued production. My thoughts.

Quite frankly when/if the high Cg & weight of the fjr becomes too much i’ll Probably just sell it and just ride one of my antiques like my 76 gl1000 that was my touring mount up until about 5-6 years ago or my 81 cbx which holds my personal 1 day longest mileage record. It’s interesting that the cbx weighs the same 640lbs as the fjr but feels waaay lighter because the weight is carried much lower and centralized better, same with the 50lb lighter gl1000, both bikes feel tiny when getting off the fjr. But an interesting addition is that the cbx that i’ve spent lots of time tuning (super throttle response, very f1ish) used to feel like a rocket but not so much so now after a ride on the very fastest color red fjr.....��

My 77 cb750 at 516lbs feels like a mini bike compared to the fjr. It’s just so interesting that bikes that. Used to feel terrifyingly fast like my 80cbx or my buddies 72 h2750 Kawi that just terrified me now just feel so slow and unrefined compared to the fjr,,,, even the much slower canadien root beer brown models will simply smoke those old hot rods...just some random & rambling thoughts on a very cold & snowy Thursday morning.

Steve P
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 11-14-2019 at 10:26 AM.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 11:07 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Thought about the Ninja 1000 too... after '14, they tamed it down and remapped the torque curve so it wasn't so sport bikish in it's behaviour... but I don't think it will work for me.... the FZ1 has a better torque curve but lotsa horsepower.... and root beer is so fast you never see one...

Ray
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

[QUOTE=RaYzerman;1231931. root beer is so fast you never see one...[/QUOTE]

Kinda like an Edsel ! A what ?

Steve P
Ride more,, worry less !
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

My last bike, just prior to the FJR, was an '11 Ninja 1000. I really enjoyed that bike. Plenty of power, performance and practicality, especailly w/the Blaze saddle bag set up. I had mine nicely modded to fit me/my purposes and sold it w/great regret. Sadly, the N1K is NOT a good 2-up bike, I don't care what the Kawi literature says. And for the 2020 model, Kawi has finally given it cruise control- winner/winner, chicken dinner!

As a guy who has long wanted a lightweight ST, the N1K fit the bill. I really, and I mean really, loved the Triumph Sprints but never made the jump to one. I still kinda regret that.

So the Tracer GT resonates w/me however most reviews I've read have not been spectacular and let's be honest, it is seriously fugly, especially w/the paint schemes available for us 'Muricans. That alone would keep me away from consideration. Well that and the sticker price.

I think Yamaha did some good things w/the T/GT, like cruise control , the adjustable shield, etc. but muffed up a number of other things. So it's a 'no go' in my book & I guess I'll be sticking w/the FJR. If only the **** bike was 200 lbs. lighter!
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

So how about the Versys 1000.... it would be OK too although a little more adventurish. I rode one, seemed OK first impression. Factory bags seemed pretty decent.

Ray
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
So how about the Versys 1000.... it would be OK too although a little more adventurish. I rode one, seemed OK first impression. Factory bags seemed pretty decent.
Initially, I liked the Versys 1000 but at the point it was released in '15, my N1K was so nicely modded for me, it didn't make sense to swap.

Honestly, when I was shopping for the new 2-up ride, I was hoping my daughter would be comfortable on the V1K as that would've been a simple transition for me from the N1K, even tho it lacked many of the amenites the FJR offered.

Used, low mileage V1K's can be had for a bargain. I was just ogling a '15 w/less than 1k on the odo & the owner was asking $7g's for it. Similar bargains can be found elsewhere.

So yeah, I could do a Versys 1000 real easy. A number of my zrxoa buddies own and love them.
Lee

Last edited by spectreman; 11-14-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page