Starting to get nippy - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 58Likes
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
the Ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 550
Starting to get nippy

From this morning's ride. Saw 19 at one point, but no place to safely pull over for a pic. By the time I found a safe spot to stop it had jumped to 21.


SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
the Ferret is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 77 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Rolling Prairie, Ind
Posts: 2,157
Yepper ferret, we had snow here in nw Indiana yesterday morning that covered the ground. Supposed to be below zero by early next week, i’m Hoping for a bit of Indian summer so I can prep things for the winter sleep, I have nothing done at this point.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
passx is offline  
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Junior Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
SnuffySmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 29
Planning a trip on the FJR from Charleston, SC to Oak Ridge Tenn. next Thursday 11/14 and of course it's supposed to rain and turn cold. I can handle rain and say 40 degrees but snow and ice scare the shiite to of me. I would ride Rt. 28 to Rt. 129 through the mountains then into Maryville Tenn, to Pellissippi Prkwy then into Oak Ridge. Or the boring route would be Interstate 26 to Interstate 40.

So at what temp do you stop riding?

Any cold wet weather riding tips on gear or riding skill would be appreciated.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 FJR 1300A, 2014 FZ09, did not ride since 1992 after wrecking 1984 Seca 550, low sided 1984 RZ 350, 1983 550 Maximum

Last edited by SnuffySmith; 11-08-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: adding words
SnuffySmith is offline  
 
post #4 of 77 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
the Ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffySmith View Post
Planning a trip on the FJR from Charleston, SC to Oak Ridge Tenn. next Thursday 11/14 and of course it's supposed to rain and turn cold. I can handle rain and say 40 degrees but snow and ice scare the shiite to of me. I would ride Rt. 28 to Rt. 129 through the mountains then into Maryville Tenn, to Pellissippi Prkwy then into Oak Ridge. Or the boring route would be Interstate 26 to Interstate 40.

So at what temp do you stop riding?

Any cold wet weather riding tips on gear or riding skill would be appreciated.






I am used to riding all winter for the last 40+ years and have the right gear and set up for it. Cycle Gear Freeze out base layer incl gloves and balaclava, First gear heated jacket liner, Heavy Cortech Cordura jacket, heavy boots, Tourmaster cordura overpants, HJC Modular helmet. handlebar muffs on the bike to protect the hands, Yamaha Touring screen and fairing to block the wind for the torso. With the muffs the heated grips make a little warm cave. With the heated gear and grips I can ride below zero comfortably as long as the roads are clear.

Honestly with electrics, I am more comfortable below freezing, as I am any time it's between 40 and 70 degrees without electrics.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 11-08-2019 at 02:03 PM.
the Ferret is offline  
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Damir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Calgary,AB,Canada
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I can ride below zero comfortably as long as the roads are clear.
Geez Ferret you are brave, you can move to Canada anytime with those skills
In sub-zero I would freak out about the possible ice patches in shaded areas.
Redfish and HenryG like this.
Damir is offline  
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 02:37 PM
Junior Member
Training wheels fitted!
 
Linton West's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Durness Scotland
Posts: 23
Coming over Drumochter Pass (just south of Inverness, Scotland) this morning it was 0 Celsius or 32 F. and there was snow at the side of the road, fortunately the gritters were out.

2018 Phantom Blue
Linton West is offline  
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 03:28 PM
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Coon Rapids Mn.
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post






I am used to riding all winter for the last 40+ years and have the right gear and set up for it. Cycle Gear Freeze out base layer incl gloves and balaclava, First gear heated jacket liner, Heavy Cortech Cordura jacket, heavy boots, Tourmaster cordura overpants, HJC Modular helmet. handlebar muffs on the bike to protect the hands, Yamaha Touring screen and fairing to block the wind for the torso. With the muffs the heated grips make a little warm cave. With the heated gear and grips I can ride below zero comfortably as long as the roads are clear.

Honestly with electrics, I am more comfortable below freezing, as I am any time it's between 40 and 70 degrees without electrics.
Holy kripes Ferret , now that's being a man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its around 32f here now & im gonna take the bike out & test my new snowmobile gear & helmet. Good news is, theres a hot tub & sauna waiting at my destination.
jimw is offline  
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Coon Rapids Mn.
Posts: 96
Good thing I got good circulation to my hands, cuz I cant stand those handlebar muffs. I will break down & put them on my 4 wheeler for ice fishing tho.
jimw is offline  
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 03:57 PM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
RaYzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Millgrove, ON, CA
Posts: 4,951
Ferret and I used to participate in the Coldest Ride contest over on ST forum, I think he still does, I haven't the last couple of years... My coldest ride was -16C just to stay in the top 10. Ideally you want a nice sunny day with dry pavement regardless of how high the snowbanks are, heated gear will take care of some deep cold except the windchill (have windproof stuff).
I draw the line at wet pavement with salt... did that once and had to spend too much time taking brakes and stuff apart to get the salt out....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
RaYzerman is offline  
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
the Ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 550
Yea wet pavement with salt can play havoc on various parts. I try and avoid that as much as possible,but if the roads are clear, riding is not an issue. I hate missing a day of riding, and these days as I age, medical issues are costing more days riding than weather. I looked at this years journal recently and this year I lost 13 days to snow/ice, 2 days to rain, and 43 days to medical issues. If I don't miss more than a few more days, I should still make my yearly goals of 300 days riding and 20,000 miles, but it's getting harder every year.
the Ferret is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome