Starting to get nippy - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linton West View Post
Coming over Drumochter Pass (just south of Inverness, Scotland) this morning it was 0 Celsius or 32 F. and there was snow at the side of the road, fortunately the gritters were out.
How does grit from the gritters help? Doesn't that make the road surface worse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 02:59 PM
FJR Top Gun

Temps here are forecast to be 20 degrees colder than normal for this time of year. I hope it's not a harbinger of things to come.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Squall View Post
you guys are braver than I am. Living in Colorado our weather will change rapidly. The coldest ride I have been on was 30 degrees US standard. I don't have any of the proper gear. I use ski gloves snow pants tennis shoes to not distroy my shift linkages. my main concern is ice build up on the roads within minuets. besides the ice I'm down for a ride.
Yea a buddy and I went out to ride some passes and canyons with a friend that lives in Denver area maybe 2 years ago. We had about everything weather wise, extreme heat, rain and one afternoon after visiting Berthoud Pass on Rt 40 we had this lol. Just popped up, lasted maybe 1/2 hour until we got back down to lowlands again

jtdunc likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 06:35 PM
FJR Top Gun

I rode over Independence Pass a few years back, and the west side was slushy. Some places I just knew if I slid they wouldn't find me ever, but I'm alive .... still.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 10:14 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post

I am used to riding all winter for the last 40+ years and have the right gear and set up for it. Cycle Gear Freeze out base layer incl gloves and balaclava, First gear heated jacket liner, Heavy Cortech Cordura jacket, heavy boots, Tourmaster cordura overpants, HJC Modular helmet. handlebar muffs on the bike to protect the hands, Yamaha Touring screen and fairing to block the wind for the torso. With the muffs the heated grips make a little warm cave. With the heated gear and grips I can ride below zero comfortably as long as the roads are clear.

Honestly with electrics, I am more comfortable below freezing, as I am any time it's between 40 and 70 degrees without electrics.
Great photos. I too enjoy riding when its cold with Gerbing gear etc. but not that cold. I guess you have to do a pretty thorough cleaning after rides like that to get the salt etc of the bike?

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:11 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post

I am used to riding all winter for the last 40+ years and have the right gear and set up for it. Cycle Gear Freeze out base layer incl gloves and balaclava, First gear heated jacket liner, Heavy Cortech Cordura jacket, heavy boots, Tourmaster cordura overpants, HJC Modular helmet. handlebar muffs on the bike to protect the hands, Yamaha Touring screen and fairing to block the wind for the torso. With the muffs the heated grips make a little warm cave. With the heated gear and grips I can ride below zero comfortably as long as the roads are clear.

Honestly with electrics, I am more comfortable below freezing, as I am any time it's between 40 and 70 degrees without electrics.

You forgot to mention the built in heater on that ST1300.
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

About 2” of snow on the deck this morning, not riding knit period !

Like ferret, I used to ride year round sun,rain, snow, sleet, etc, but one morning many years ago goingto work in the morning I went to stop at a stop light and soon realized everything was coated in black ice as I slid through the busy intersection, God had my back on that one.

Now i’m Not taking anything out of the garage if it's raining/snowing or a serious chance of any of that. Just a wuss I guess, as I sit in my jammies in my recliner, drinking coffee and watching gas monkey & the snow fall.��

As an aside i’m Thinking of starting a workout program to help me better hold on to my red rocket that is my 2014a, the fastest Color. Some of you will understand this,,, most will not ! ����

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 11-11-2019 at 11:37 AM.
post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:56 AM
FJR Top Gun

When on a trip I'll do what's necessary to keep rolling in all but the worst conditions. But when I'm sitting home on a day like today, well I'm sitting at home.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

They called for rain this morning followed by a cold front at noon and 2" of snow by this evening,. I got up at 7:30 and it wasn't raining so I got dressed and rode for an hour and a half. Right now it's 11:36 and the sun is shining lol. Weather Guessers!

Blueridgerider, I generally wash the summer crap off the bike in the fall and the winter crap off the bike in the spring.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Back when with the '07, I was going for my record low temp for the Coldest Ride contest... it was a bit breezy, started off dry pavement at -16C and I had to ride 10 miles by the rules... on my way, snow had been drifting on the road and the salt trucks laid it on in that area...... when I got home, splashed a bucket of hot water on as much of the unpainted bits that I could, including the brakes. I parked it for the winter, that year shop was full so I used my enclosed trailer to store it.
Next spring, couldn't move it... brake pads had glued themselves onto the rotors with the salt... got it into the shop and spent several hours dismantling all the brakes, suspension pivot and cleaning "powder" off other unpainted aluminum... green corrosion on some brake spring clips, etc. My toothbrush got a good workout.
I don't mind cold and dry, but would suggest a good cleaning in the spring if it was damp and salty.
My ST1300 was a heater, but not a lot of use at those temps except as a handwarmer when you put your hands on the cylinder head area...... LOL. Memories!

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in