Air hawk cushions - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Cool Air hawk cushions

ARE THESE AIRHAWK CUSHIONS ANY GOOD FOR TOURING ??? Seems like a cheap fix to a poor seat..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:41 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have yet to try one. Friend tried one as a fix for his uncomfortable MT09 seat. He wouldn’t ride with it. Even almost fully deflated, he felt it raised him up too high and was bouncy. They sure seem like they should work.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My first bike, after not riding for 35 years was an FZX700 and I couldn't find an aftermarket seat for it, so I bought an Air Hawk. You have to let almost ALL the air out of the Air Hawk, most people put way too much air in them. It was NOT like a custom FJR seat, but it was 300 percent better than the stock seat, in my case. I always worried that it would be stolen, or fly off if I stood up while riding. {It has just a couple of small straps that go under the seats to hold it on}.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I tried one. Waist of $100+ that I could have used to buy a RDL sooner.
FjrjrF likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:18 AM
Farkle Trainee

I tried one once. Waste of money. Sold it for a loss. Other's like them. It's like upgraded seats. Some folks like Russel, some like Corbin, some like Sargent, etc.
bounce and FjrjrF like this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
smiles ÷ miles=bike.
It's simple math.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:30 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have friends that run them that swear by them. I tried one and it didn't do much for me so I sold it. Also tried a gell pad and that made me feel disconnected to the bike while riding in curves. Kind of like a peanut butter & jelly sandwich where one slice of bread slides one way and the other slice of bread slides the opposite way. My brother loves his gel pad. Go figure. My gel pad has been hanging around in the garage off the bike for years now lol.
bounce and FjrjrF like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 10-30-2019 at 12:30 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:54 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I have friends that run them that swear by them. I tried one and it didn't do much for me so I sold it. Also tried a gell pad and that made me feel disconnected to the bike while riding in curves. Kind of like a peanut butter sandwich where one slice of bread slides one way and the other slice of bread slides the opposite way. My brother loves his gel pad. Go figure. My gel pad has been hanging around in the garage off the bike for years now lol.
I agree with Ferret and others. I have one in the garage for a couple years now, I tried it and didn't like the "non-planted" feeling with my seat. Perfect example Ferret gave with the PB&J sandwich. I often tried to figure how to describe the feeling I got from the Air Hawk, that was perfect. I guess I move around on my seat more than I think, so, when I'm on the seat, I need to feel the bike under me. The Air Hawk didn't allow that feeling. And as stated, the seat is all about you! Others do swear by them and use them all the rides, in my case, I swore at it, LOL. I bought a RDL and never looked back, literally.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 01:09 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Got mine attached to the FJR. Helps a little with back pain but really just a quick fix until you can buy an after market seat or take seat to an upholster who can shape the seat for you.

2007 FJR 1300A, 2014 FZ09, did not ride since 1992 after wrecking 1984 Seca 550, low sided 1984 RZ 350, 1983 550 Maximum
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:29 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I have an air hawk and use it on longer trips when discomfort is on the verge of setting in. I feel it is a longer distance tool. I have never had it on the bike for rides under 500-600 km and never while riding roads where I was moving around on the bike.
Using to much air will make you feel you are on a water bed, not a great feeling when riding.
Tim
Sete Bond likes this.

2017 fjr1300ES
2005 Vulcan VN2000D LTD
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:22 PM
Training wheels fitted!

philharmonic is correct. I got one when i owned a harley. They are not to make the seat softer, they are made to form to the shape on your butt. Sit on it and unscrew the cap and let most of the air out until it forms to the shape of your butt. I was always having to tug at it because it kept slipping to the back of the seat. It fixed my problem but I bit the bullet and got a RDL for my FJR. Best move I ever made.
bounce, RaYzerman, FjrjrF and 1 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page