Air hawk cushions - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

I bought one from a friend and tried it a couple times but I never got the air pressure right. I couldn't get comfortable on it, it's sitting in my garage if someone wants to try it for cheap. I don't have much issue with the stock seat so I don't really need it. **** I forgot I had it until I saw this thread.

Maintain universal balance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:08 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I did my first long ride (for me) on my 2018 FJR about a month ago from Eagle ID to the Oregon coast. We rode 500 miles each way on the first and last day, plus some local riding in Oregon. Right before we left, I bought the AirHawk Cruiser Small model. I rode the first 300 miles on the stock seat to get an idea of the baseline - stopping about every 100-125 miles or so. I developed pressure point pain during each leg and was ready for some relief at each stop. Around the 350 mile mark, I installed the AirHawk. I started with the cushion inflated to what I thought would be a slightly over-inflated condition. Over that last 150 miles into Oregon, I tried increasingly lower pressure settings - since letting the air out in small increments is easy to do while riding. I agree with previous posters that the most comfortable pressure setting is quite low. This setting also provides the least amount of "wiggle" and I felt more planted in the seat.

On the ride back, I used the AirHawk for most of the ride. I removed it for the last 100 miles or so because it came loose from the seat. We were riding well into the evening and rather than hold the others up while I fiddled with the seat in the dark, I simply deflated it and stowed it.

In my experience, the AirHawk is certainly more comfortable than the stock seat. It allowed me to ride about 50% longer before the discomfort reached the same intensity as without it. I think the problem is that the seated area remains about the same either with or without the cushion. Granted, the weight is spread out better using the AirHawk, but the pressure points still eventually get to me. It is possible that with more experience, I might find a pressure setting that works even better, but I think I'll look into an RDL or other option this winter. I think I need a seat that increases the seated area to reduce the pressure/area to provide a more comfortable ride. I'd like to let the fuel dictate my stops, rather than butt pain.

Or maybe I just need to ride more and toughen up ma' tush!
bounce, philharmonic and Sete Bond like this.

Motorcycle Papa, '18 FJR1300A, '05 WR450F, '97 KTM 620RXC/e

"There's never enough horsepower ... Just not enough traction." - Carroll Shelby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bugs; 11-03-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 09:32 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Its better than nothing, but since I got the RDL its been working great in the boat.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:25 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

A buddy of mine gave me an air hawk which I put on the passenger seat of my FJ1200 (with a Corbin seat) for my wife. She didn't like it. Tried it again on the FJR and she wasn't all that impressed with that either. It seems like there's either not enough air in it to make a difference or too much and then she feels like she's floating on top of the seat and not firmly planted. Upgraded to Seth Laam seats for both rider and passenger and she really likes it and can last much, much longer on the seat than ever before. I think of the air hawk as a band-aid solution for an uncomfortable seat. That being said, another buddy of mine has an air hawk seat on his FJ1100 and he really likes it. So there you go.

Zwartie
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:47 AM
FJR Top Gun

I have one. Can't say it does much good. It makes things different. That said, "different" may be just what the Doctor ordered. Long ago discovered a remedy to butt-burn is to simply change what I am sitting on. Suspect our primary problem is on motorcycles we sit unmoving for long periods. That whether we know it or not we move around more driving a cage.

Something as simple as a sheet or two of cardboard will feel great after the bare seat has induced burning. Then one can go yet again on bare seat after cardboard burns. Seat beads would be another good choice. Others used to swear by lamb's wool. Or simply a piece of carpet.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have an AirHawk seat cushion - and have had it for about 20 years - and absolutely love it! With the stock FJR seat I could ride about 2 hours before my caboose started to get sore. With the Corbin seat I bought, I could ride about 5 hours before my caboose started to get sore. With the AirHawk on top of the Corbin, I can ride 10+ hours without any pain.! As has been pointed out in other posts, for an AirHawk to work properly it is crucial to not put too much air in it. Good luck!
FJRChuck likes this.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 08:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

I tried one. it felt like I had taken a dump in my shorts.
bounce and dravnx like this.

Blchandl2
'15 FJR1300 (Primer)
PEACE, Something to shoot for.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Right now mines working great as a very expensive kitchen chair cushion. Its way better than any of the other cushions ive tried tho.
philharmonic likes this.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 09:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blchandl2 View Post
I tried one. it felt like I had taken a dump in my shorts.
Blchandl2,

So the obvious question that begs to be asked here (or maybe not) is how do you know what that feels like ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
So the obvious question that begs to be asked here (or maybe not) is how do you know what that feels like ?

Unless you spontaneously sprung forth, fully-grown into being, everyone should.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page