The OEM mufflers - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:40 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I would bet that there is no h-power in the exhaust, at best an aftermarket would probably match the oe system. The real benefit is the significant weight loss that most offer. My Delkevic 18” carbon fiber cans are probably about 1/3 the weight of the oe cans, but they make a glorious sound and are just about perfect IMHo.

The time I got to spend on my friends shop dyno showed me that nearly all aftermarket exhaust actually lost power compared to the oe systems, the best systems actually just matched the oe for power with a very few actually making more. A surprising example is the Harley’s
Screaming Eagle stuff that always seemed to outperform the oe stuff. Most just made a lot more noise and nothing more. My .02
passx I agree, it's all in our heads, I mean how can the '14 Red be faster then my '17 Silver ...when it comes to aftermarket cans it's all "weight,look and the sound". Everybody trying to make the bike lighter, but interestingly enough nobody would ever try "jogging" first
wheaton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:44 PM
FJR Top Gun

Most consumers are gullible. Change the exhaust note and tell him it makes more power and he will believe it. Pay for a suspension revalve and it rides different, and will be assumed it must be better because it is different.

Have ridden many different dirtbikes with various exhausts and jetting kits. Not impressed. Took some experimenting to get my 2003 KTM 450 EXC "right". And again for my 2008 KTM 450 XCR(w). Rode others' who were proud of their solutions. Was usually underwhelmed. One was especially proud of how he had restored "the hit" to his 2004 KTM 450. He didn't like my tame 2003, and I hated his. What he had done was screw up the jetting at mid-range that only cleaned up toward the high end. I tune to create an "electric motor". I know my smooth 2003 was faster than his 2004 "but his had a hit!"

For 2003 and 2008 KTM 450s my magic solution was the JD high altitude settings (red needle) at 800' MSL. Eliminated deceleration popping and red glowing exhaust header. Kept predictable low end throttle control. Didn't make engine into a beast.

Many of the other bikes were "dyno tuned". Have come to believe dynos are mostly tools for bragging rights. Very few technicians can use one as an effective tool. Every one I have seen was a Dynojet Inertial Dyno. It has a heavy wheel and measures the ability to accelerate the wheel. It only measures acceleration. With such one can only jet for accelerating conditions, not steady state. A heavy wheel is much cheaper than the cost of a calibrated water pump used by brake dynos.

As for Harley-Davidson? Their motorcycles are designed as hat racks: lots of deliberate space to bolt things on. Deliberate detuning to sell factory Screaming Eagle Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 kits. Few Harley-Davidson dealers do not have an inertial dyno to entertain and sell "upgrades".

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

If I was to really be interested in improving the acceleration performance of my FJR, the best way to that would be to eat healthier, exercise more and drop weight. It would cost less, and I would likely get more years to ride.

Otherwise, in stock form, the FJR has a relatively flat torque curve. Flat torque curves allow for better acceleration or "roll on". This is why electric vehicles accelerate so quickly. Flat torque all the way up to the point where there is no more available power/amperage.

This is why locomotives use electric motors driven by diesel generators, flat torque at any speed. This is why my FJR can out accelerate the majority of vehicles on the highway, even hauling my butt and a trailer. No need for me to change that.

I have another bike that I play hooligan on, and after I have thoroughly pissed off the neighbors and LEOs, the FJR lets me ride and lay low for awhile out of town on a trip.

Now, back to my burger and fries............
wheaton, Redfish and BigC like this.

'14 FJR1300ES

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
All very interesting and informative replies.
I'll be working out over the winter for my annual power to weight ratio improvement for next year's riding season. I've often shared the notion of dropping a few pounds to be the best performance mod for many of my friends, they usually just flip me off.

As for my OE mufflers, I'm totally happy with them, no plans for aftermarket slip-ons for me.

...are you done with those fries?
wheaton and NealC like this.

Live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't F*** mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 05:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I replaced my stock exhaust with carbon fiber yoshimura r-77’s. Because on my 2018, most of the bike came blacked out from the factory. And I wanted the cans to match. They look great. They don’t add any performance. They do sound great, but that’s merely a bonus. They won’t last as long as the stock cans. That’s why when I wear these out,
I have my stock muffles in the basement, ready to go back on.
passx likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 05:58 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I replaced my stock exhaust with carbon fiber yoshimura r-77’s. Because on my 2018, most of the bike came blacked out from the factory. And I wanted the cans to match. They look great. They don’t add any performance. They do sound great, but that’s merely a bonus. They won’t last as long as the stock cans. That’s why when I wear these out,
I have my stock muffles in the basement, ready to go back on.
Bill, a pic would be nice. I really like the looks of the R-77's and would be good to see what you've done. I'm in the market for those. Why won't they last as long? asking because I really don't have much knowledge on aftermarket exhaust.

- Jim,
AMA and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

is it true that:

You should take time to repack your muffler. It’s a recommended maintenance item on both factory and aftermarket exhausts.

as per Revzilla article:
https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...er-or-silencer

I never heard of anybody repacking the FJR stocks
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
is it true that:

You should take time to repack your muffler. It’s a recommended maintenance item on both factory and aftermarket exhausts.

as per Revzilla article:
https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...er-or-silencer

I never heard of anybody repacking the FJR stocks
Seeing how the FJR cans do not have bolts or rivets holding the end caps on, the whole part of cutting apart, welding back together, re-chroming thing would get a bit expensive.

What he is re-packing is one that relies on the glass packing to do all the muffling. Popular on dirt bikes and a lot of aftermarket sport bike cans.

I've never seen the inside of one, but I would assume the FJR muffler uses mechanical baffles.
Redfish and Damir like this.

'14 FJR1300ES
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There is no packing in the OEM cans.
Bill Lumberg, NealC, passx and 2 others like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
There is no packing in the OEM cans.
Good to know, one more reason to stay with the OEM cans :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page