The OEM mufflers - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWExperience View Post
You don’t need a PC for slip ons and there is a lot of testing that shows OE filters are just as efficient for a fraction of the cost, plus better filtering.
NICE! Should the day come when I need to replace one side or the other I would probably stick with the factory muffler, although at about $500 per side I would most likely go with a set of aftermarket if I needed to replace both sides. Comparing aftermarket to a set of factory originals. A pair of aftermarket slip-ons can be had for 1/2 the cost of a pair of factory originals.

Going the whole PC, PC mapping, etc, etc.? Meh, I don't find that to be worth much at all.

Live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't F*** mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

Last edited by JunkJacket; 10-30-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:52 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post
If you add aftermarket pipes, you'll need a couple of mods.

1. A Dynojet Power Commander fuel mgmt module to get the right fuel/air map to get the little 2-3 more HP gain.
A PC is not needed with slip ons.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post

… music to my ears.
Mad German likes this.

Live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't F*** mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post
Obviously there are those that will argue with this.

I just wish that if someone wants to do the full package, the exhaust, the intake, the fuel management, I wish that person would do some before and after dyno runs. They may be right, they may not.
passx likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:40 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Obviously there are those that will argue with this.

I just wish that if someone wants to do the full package, the exhaust, the intake, the fuel management, I wish that person would do some before and after dyno runs. They may be right, they may not.
Red, totally agree, wish we still had a dyno available here in the area, could learn a lot about the fjr's weak areas where mods would be a benefit. On my 2014a i’ve added a set of delkevic 18” carbon fiber cans and not long ago a K&N dropin air filter with no real noticeable difference’s other than the glorious sound out of those Delkevic cans. Nothing noticeable at all.

One thing I did learn from when I was able to use my friends shop dyno is that the butt dyno lies. Even making what were significant differences where you thought were really big the dyno rarely confirmed. It’s all a total compromise. I’ve gotten to where I laugh at the guy’s that make big claims based on the butt dyno and think “show me a real dyno chart” because i’d Bet it ain’t there.
JohnC and Redfish like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 01:36 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Ok, for us Jap bike owners I propose we modify the saying to "loud Revs save lives...." Who's in?
Mad German likes this.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2016 Yamaha FZ-07
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:29 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I use Autosol on mine, which is a metal polish and then a wax polish and get a fantastic shine from front to back

2018 Phantom Blue
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 08:59 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's not a Harley. There just ain't much bolt-on power to be found on an FJR. And even if speed parts were available, I suspect that the limiting factor would be the power restricting volume, or rather lack of, in the airbox.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:36 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
It's not a Harley. There just ain't much bolt-on power to be found on an FJR. And even if speed parts were available, I suspect that the limiting factor would be the power restricting volume, or rather lack of, in the airbox.

A 1.3 liter with 150 crank horsepower is a lot with such a small engine. Exhaust is good because you can gain a little and shave weight. Otherwise, punch that engine out, add a supercharger or turbo and be done. Check the horsepower to weight on harleys, laughable. Even Italians get extra cc’s in racing because they cant produce the same power. If you won’t punch it out or add boost, shut up and be happy...that might be the booze talking.

2016 FJR1300A

2016 FJR1300A
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I would bet that there is no h-power in the exhaust, at best an aftermarket would probably match the oe system. The real benefit is the significant weight loss that most offer. My Delkevic 18” carbon fiber cans are probably about 1/3 the weight of the oe cans, but they make a glorious sound and are just about perfect IMHo.

The time I got to spend on my friends shop dyno showed me that nearly all aftermarket exhaust actually lost power compared to the oe systems, the best systems actually just matched the oe for power with a very few actually making more. A surprising example is the Harley’s
Screaming Eagle stuff that always seemed to outperform the oe stuff. Most just made a lot more noise and nothing more. My .02
N4HHE and Redfish like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page