Brake/Clutch Wraps for Colder Weather - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By RaYzerman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Brake/Clutch Wraps for Colder Weather

Curious if anyone uses or knows of decent lever wraps to keep the cool at bay. I'm on the path to winter and I've always wanted to do something about warming up the levers a wee bit, especially on those freezing mornings/evenings.

I don't want the fringe and braids that another brand seem to relish. Just something simple that is better than gripping cold aluminum . If anyone has something that works for them, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks, Tim

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:49 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector7g View Post
Curious if anyone uses or knows of decent lever wraps to keep the cool at bay. I'm on the path to winter and I've always wanted to do something about warming up the levers a wee bit, especially on those freezing mornings/evenings.

I don't want the fringe and braids that another brand seem to relish. Just something simple that is better than gripping cold aluminum . If anyone has something that works for them, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks, Tim
Tim,

Don't know anybody using lever wraps. Most riders use some combination of handguards, heated grips, and gloves. I use all three.

I have OEM heated grips, but Oxford heated grips are much cheaper and well-respected. I use MIG/ TIG welders gloves (lined) because they have real gauntlets and nice prices. Search for Barkbusters (or similar handguards) on Google, then click on the IMAGES tab. I use the V-strom handguards (US$50~$75) with a slight modification at the rear to fit my bar end weights, and a machine screw (drill and tap the lever mount as needed) at the front. Similar to these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Suzuki-DL...-291/521210658

The online bike shops may double that price, plus shipping, so watch out on the pricing. Amazon usually has them at the right price, but not right now.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$25.00).
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:39 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I donít put things on my levers, because I wear gloves, especially when itís cold.

I use Barkbuster Storm handguards fall-spring, warm n safe (not from thewarmingstore) heated current gen jacket and glove liners, and I have heated grips. Heated grips are good when itís chilly. Handguards take it to a whole new level. But for real cold, I prefer heated liners.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have Barkbusters on my FJR and like how they redirect the wind and cold air:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...-threaded-bars

Home Depot is selling Millwaukee 12V heated gloves for those extra cold days, so maybe you should consider a pair. I ride on 10deg Celsius with heated grips and Barkbusters and it's perfect. Not interested in riding in anything lower then 10deg, since the tires get hard and the grip is compromised.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Yep, I've got the bark busters, heated grips (2017), electric gloves, and a good ole trusty pair of Hippo Hands. That being said, at cold/freezing temps in traffic, those aluminum levers are bitter. And when you've been in the rain and cold, grabbing those things just eats through any bit of warm quickly. It just seems like there's got to be something out there...
I'll probably just get some non-sticky tape wrap - that could be the ticket.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:39 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There are foam lever wraps available, and you could always use heat shrink tubing.....
philharmonic and sector7g like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I use an old pair of Widder electric gloves in the winter and I don't ever feel the need to cover my levers, but, I live in South Carolina, so really COLD, to me, is the upper 20's. LOL

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:18 PM
FJR Top Gun

If my hands get cold its not from the levers. Its the ends of the fingers and the back of the hand from the wind. This is why ski gloves have the majority of the insulation on the back of the hand/top of the fingers. For the very cold I have a pair of snowmobile gloves . they work so well if it is not cold enough my hands sweat.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:24 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

In the '70s and early '80s, there was a shortage of good winter riding gear. Thank goodness for the snowmobile industry.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page