Vertically challenged for FJR - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Vertically challenged for FJR

Hi there,
I was just wanting to know people’s opinions on minimum height needed to adequately ride an FJR 1300. I am 172 cms or around 5’7 or 5’8.

I have been watching reviews on these bikes and I am considering it as a future bike.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Farkle Trainee

I'm 5'6 maybe 27" inseam. I have mine lowered in front 3/8" lowered in rear 1/2 with adjustable links, and wear a boot with a thick vibram insole. I also have 53 years experience riding the last 42 years on liter class bikes. You can also cut some foam out of the seat.

You didn't say how much experience you have (be honest with yourself). The FJR is a big tall, heavy, fast motorcycle. When on the small stature side of things, experience makes a big difference imo.
mobilemike and 2014oldred like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I'm 5'6 maybe 27" inseam. I have mine lowered in front 3/8" lowered in rear 1/2 with adjustable links, and wear a boot with a thick vibram insole. I also have 53 years experience riding the last 42 years on liter class bikes. You can also cut some foam out of the seat.

You didn't say how much experience you have (be honest with yourself). The FJR is a big tall, heavy, fast motorcycle. When on the small stature side of things, experience makes a big difference imo.

Thanks for the reply. I have only been riding road for a couple of years. Before that, 5 years on dirt enduros.

I currently own a Kwaka ZRX1200r with a seat height of 790mm, which is easy for me to ride. I understand the FJR is about 830mm??

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:25 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Vertically challenged for FJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC72 View Post
I was just wanting to know people’s opinions on minimum height needed to adequately ride an FJR 1300. I am 172 cms or around 5’7 or 5’8. I have been watching reviews on these bikes and I am considering it as a future bike. Thanks.
DJC72,

The FJR is a large bike, and somewhat top-heavy. As long as you can get both feet down on the ground, and avoid loose gravel, you should be okay. Check out a few FJRs that you meet, just to sit on them for size. Where are you located? Here are a few ideas for people like you and me:

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1228407-post5.html
DJC72 likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$25.00).
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:29 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I am 5' 7" with 29" inseam. I have never owned a MC I could flat foot with both feet including the FJR with stock seat in lowest position. It doesn't bother me because I am used to it.

Another potential issue for short FJR riders in backing up any amount of incline on the bike.

+1 on the thick/tall lug style Vibram sole, you will feel taller too!
Little Joe, N4HHE and DJC72 like this.

2015 FJR ES
2006 Fz6 Fast Blue
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:01 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If this guy can do it so can you
JohnC, N4HHE, Jesse H and 2 others like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 05:28 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I have only been riding road for a couple of years. Before that, 5 years on dirt enduros.
If you have ridden off-road for 5 years then why are you asking this question? Unless you rode an 85 there is almost no dirtbike that is only as tall as an FJR.

Height has almost nothing to do with “being able to ride.” Your comfort in reaching the ground is determined by inseam. My inseam is 30” but I ride with a Laam seat for a 34” inseam. I can’t flatfoot at stops. I don’t expect to. I don’t even think about it until something like this comes up.

Before the Laam seat I rode the stock seat in the high position to minimize bend in knees. That is much more important to me than whether my heel touches pavement.
UHcougarJohn and DJC72 like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

For some reason it is not allowing me to quote posts. Anyhow, thanks everyone. I am in Victoria Australia. I hope to go to a showroom and sit on a FJR to try it for size. I’ve rang a few. Most don’t keep the FJR on the floor.

I’ll have to look up these soles you guys are talking about. Thanks a heap.

N4HHE likes this.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
If you have ridden off-road for 5 years then why are you asking this question? Unless you rode an 85 there is almost no dirtbike that is only as tall as an FJR.

Height has almost nothing to do with “being able to ride.” Your comfort in reaching the ground is determined by inseam. My inseam is 30” but I ride with a Laam seat for a 34” inseam. I can’t flatfoot at stops. I don’t expect to. I don’t even think about it until something like this comes up.

Before the Laam seat I rode the stock seat in the high position to minimize bend in knees. That is much more important to me than whether my heel touches pavement.

I owned a full sized KTM enduro. Yep seat height was very tall.

But the difference is the KTM was 107kg. The FJR is 300kg.
It doesn’t matter if you drop a dirt bike on the side.

rbentnail, passx and the Ferret like this.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:01 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Hi there,
I was just wanting to know people’s opinions on minimum height needed to adequately ride an FJR 1300. I am 172 cms or around 5’7 or 5’8.

I have been watching reviews on these bikes and I am considering it as a future bike.
Thanks.

This is my solution. After 4 years of trying to make it work for me...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
N4HHE likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page