Harley stops production of its electric bike - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Harley stops production of its electric bike

The motorcycle manufacturer has stopped production and deliveries of its first electric bike after discovering an issue with the charging equipment, according to The Wall Street Journal. In a memo seen by the WSJ, Harley told dealers it doesn't know when deliveries will restart.

Gee, I bet those $30K Live Wires were just flying off the showroom floors. Harley would do better making $2500 mobility scooters for its aging ridership.
bounce, sparky300 and cra-z1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

oh my I hope Ewan and Charley don't get stranded with dead batteries!
bounce and passx like this.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2016 Yamaha FZ-07
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

Based on what I have seen Ewan and Charlie are not going to get stranded whether their motorcycles run or not. Which I think agrees with your post.

I was really worried about those electric Harleys. Without Loud Pipes to save them those electric motorcycles are dangerous!
bounce, Little Joe, passx and 1 others like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:43 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Well, that's great.

Wazzup?!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:48 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Coincides with their stators that regularly go out. Charging problems continue on the new electric bike.

What else is new?

If they get their charging system to leak some oil it will probably be OK.
bounce, FjrjrF, sparky300 and 2 others like this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:56 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopheadama View Post
Coincides with their stators that regularly go out. Charging problems continue on the new electric bike.

What else is new?

If they get their charging system to leak some oil it will probably be OK.
Thank you for my morning laugh! This is a good one!

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Based on what I have seen Ewan and Charlie are not going to get stranded whether their motorcycles run or not. Which I think agrees with your post.

I was really worried about those electric Harleys. Without Loud Pipes to save them those electric motorcycles are dangerous!

I have a friend with one of those fancy BMW cars. He can adjust the "engine sound" through the car speakers to make it sound more sporty - completely ridiculous, but this is a solution for our HD friends that require "loud pipes" on their electric bikes. The 12 inch sub will take a little room but will certainly save lives!
bounce and JohnC like this.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2016 Yamaha FZ-07
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlanejr View Post
I have a friend with one of those fancy BMW cars. He can adjust the "engine sound" through the car speakers to make it sound more sporty - completely ridiculous, but this is a solution for our HD friends that require "loud pipes" on their electric bikes. The 12 inch sub will take a little room but will certainly save lives!
I have a wife that used to have a fancy BMW car. At 67K miles it was leaking more oil than a Harley can hold.

I agree that electrically generated sound might be the answer but if Harley can't get the charger to work and the speakers require electricity... Zero motorcycles might be okay but there is no way a Harley without Loud Pipes can be safe.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I used to think loud pipes was BS. Obnoxious pipes, I have no use for. But I've experienced loud pipes minimally making the drivers around him/her more aware that there is a bike somewhere close by. The volume draws the driver to search for the source, thereby identifying the rider.

I had a bright red Interceptor, stock pipes, was nearly hit multiple times, pulling out in front of me, invading my lane with me in it, etc.

I bought a Ducati, put Termignoni pipes on it, you can literally watch drivers turn their heads when I'm in their vicinity. "Save's lives"? Maybe. Make the rider more obvious to drivers? Definately.

Harley doesn't have a prayer with that electric bike. It'll be the biggest failure in their history.
Downsouth likes this.

Currently:
2004 Miata
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
2017 Ducati Monster
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Outside of the “loud pipes” thing I believe the Livewire will continue the total Harley experience,,,,,, you know ? Standing on the side of the road waiting for a truck to come and take your bike to the dealer to repair it,, ������

Seriously though I continue to be amazed at how few Harley owners know how or actually work on their own bikes, most take their bikes to the dealers for things as simple as an oil change,, unbelievable !

I’m still Waiting to see the first Livewire parked at the local Hells Angels chapter,,,,,, �� I agree with. Luca in that I believe it’ll be an epic failure For HD.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 10-16-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page