Harley stops production of its electric bike - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:34 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Seriously though I continue to be amazed at how few Harley owners know how or actually work on their own bikes, most take their bikes to the dealers for things as simple as an oil change,, unbelievable !
I tried to change the oil in an 883 once. Owner didn't know how. And without a manual I wasn't certain enough about what to do. Apparently a hose has to be removed, but its not marked.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Brasi View Post
I used to think loud pipes was BS. Obnoxious pipes, I have no use for. But I've experienced loud pipes minimally making the drivers around him/her more aware that there is a bike somewhere close by. The volume draws the driver to search for the source, thereby identifying the rider.

I had a bright red Interceptor, stock pipes, was nearly hit multiple times, pulling out in front of me, invading my lane with me in it, etc.

I bought a Ducati, put Termignoni pipes on it, you can literally watch drivers turn their heads when I'm in their vicinity. "Save's lives"? Maybe. Make the rider more obvious to drivers? Definately.

Harley doesn't have a prayer with that electric bike. It'll be the biggest failure in their history.

Nice examples of not riding fast enough.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Owner didn't know how.
Here's a quick and general overview for Harley guys: https://youtu.be/DO2pTc5FYWo

Yeah, it's an old video but it's still useful.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Since this is a post about "electric" read "silent" bikes, perhaps talking about "loud pipes save lives" is appropriate.

I agree with Lucas that when you are riding in a traffic column with cagers, it could help to have loud pipes, {though, having watched a BUNCH of "loud pipe" riders sift through traffic like they lived in California and were riding on the Autobahn, I can't see that most cagers ever get time to find out where that guy is} and I avoid riding in those "clumps" of cagers I find on the interstate when possible, but I do acknowledge that there are times you cannot avoid it, traffic is just too thick.

My point is that MOST of us who are killed by cagers are run into from behind at a light, or the cager turns left in front of us, or the cager pulls out from a road to our right.

In none of those three crucial times are loud pipes going to make a difference, in my opinion.
JohnC and passx like this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

Last edited by philharmonic; 10-16-2019 at 11:48 AM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:21 PM
Farkle Trainee

THE problem was price....with this caveat. An electric bike with a range of 130 miles is only going to be used as a commuter bike. For me, a 130 mile ride does not even qualify as a “ride”. My shortest route is 150 miles. You’re just not going to find many people willing to pay $30,000 for a commuter bike when you can but a decent car for that much money.

I am not bashing Harley....for a change. I give them credit for developing the bike. But their success with bikes out of their core market is horrible. Think Buell, MV, EBC, V-Rod.....

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

If the ZERO electric bike is available now and with almost the same specs for $20K, does Harley really think their name is worth $10k more?

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
...etc.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitbox View Post
If the ZERO electric bike is available now and with almost the same specs for $20K, does Harley really think their name is worth $10k more?
Yes.

And why would they think otherwise? Pick pretty much any article of clothing or gear at a Harley Dealership and compare the price to an identical item that does not have the Harley logo on it. That Harley logo is worth some serious money.
bounce and philharmonic like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Yes.

And why would they think otherwise? Pick pretty much any article of clothing or gear at a Harley Dealership and compare the price to an identical item that does not have the Harley logo on it. That Harley logo is worth some serious money.
The Harley rider is an image, much the same as "The Marlboro Man," was an image. The problem lies in the fact that for the tattooed tough guy Harley image, and the countless dentist, and stockbroker posers, wannabees, - well that electric sewing machine just doesn't fit the image.

That leaves only "new riders." That would be millenials and Gen Z, but do they really think these folks are going to spend $30 grand on a bike?

WOW - this is going to be worse than the Edsel.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
That Harley logo is worth some serious money.
I guess you're right... for those that drank the Kool-Aid.

I went to an HD dealer once to buy a pair of riding gloves. Silly me. Every item in that place had the Harley logo on it.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
...etc.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldscheisser View Post
The motorcycle manufacturer has stopped production and deliveries of its first electric bike after discovering an issue with the charging equipment, according to The Wall Street Journal. In a memo seen by the WSJ, Harley told dealers it doesn't know when deliveries will restart.

Gee, I bet those $30K Live Wires were just flying off the showroom floors. Harley would do better making $2500 mobility scooters for its aging ridership.

I bet the Live Wire is primarily a technology demonstrator to test the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlanejr View Post
I have a friend with one of those fancy BMW cars. He can adjust the "engine sound" through the car speakers to make it sound more sporty - completely ridiculous, but this is a solution for our HD friends that require "loud pipes" on their electric bikes. The 12 inch sub will take a little room but will certainly save lives!

Especially if you put it on the front of the bike somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
I tried to change the oil in an 883 once. Owner didn't know how. And without a manual I wasn't certain enough about what to do. Apparently a hose has to be removed, but its not marked.

I know where the oil tank on a Sportster used to be (in the '70s). You mean there wasn't a drain plug on it?

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page