Key codes - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Key codes

I tried a search for this, but it kept throwing out 'key' as a too common word.

My '17 came with one key, and did not have the tag or stamp with the code on it. I would like very much to get at least one more key made. I've found a guy on ebay who cuts keys based on those codes. If I remember, the information on his page said that the key code can be found on the ignition barrel, and with some bikes, on the barrels found on the bags. My bag locks have a four digit code printed on the tongue. Is this the key code? Is it supposed to be 5 digits? I'd like to know before doing more than dis-assembling than is necessary.

Current rides:
2017 Raven ES
Previous toys:
2002 Concours
1991 VFR750
1984 KZ700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:07 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrong750 View Post
I tried a search for this, but it kept throwing out 'key' as a too common word.

My '17 came with one key, and did not have the tag or stamp with the code on it. I would like very much to get at least one more key made. I've found a guy on ebay who cuts keys based on those codes. If I remember, the information on his page said that the key code can be found on the ignition barrel, and with some bikes, on the barrels found on the bags. My bag locks have a four digit code printed on the tongue. Is this the key code? Is it supposed to be 5 digits? I'd like to know before doing more than dis-assembling than is necessary.
You may not have to disassemble anything. Call around- my local locksmith keeps the necessary blanks in stock and will copy a key for about $3. My factory keys get used for one thing- make copies. I have always used copies for everything. That way I always have a pristine original to copy from.
bounce, JohnC, passx and 1 others like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:22 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I purchased a 2014 and it came with only one key. It was worn. I had some made at Ace hardware and they work fine but I too would like to have a new one made from the code. I am interested in finding my code also.

Thanks

2014 FJR1300A
1990 Honda Pacific Coast (traded 2017)
1982 Honda CX500 (sold before children)
1972 Honda CB500 (rode to CA twice)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:49 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
my key code is a 5 character alpha-numeric, it's the letter "A" with 4 numbers after it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

We get 3 keys here... should come with a tag with the code, mine is A plus 4 digits.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's a good idea to use copies. The factory keys are, I think, softer and bend more easily than they should.

I went with these guys. I figured cutting a key to code (if, of course you have the code) would be more precise than just copying an even an unworn factory original. It cost a bit more - $10 - $12 a key instead of $3 - $5, but I have the two factory keys and the code tag tucked safely away in a file cabinet. I am just happy that US spec FJRs do not have an immobilizer.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The immobilizers aren't a problem, we've had them for years, all Gen2 and up have them except the US. Failures are really rare (I know of two overseas, one a broken wire).

You get a red master key that is used to program or re-program a replacement key, and you keep this in a safe place at home. I also got a spare blank chip key I can program if I lose one. With any bike, I keep the spare key in an inside pocket of my jacket with my insurance/owner documents. If you happen to lose your main key, at least you have the spare with you.. handy if you're 3000 miles from home.
No problem getting a spare cut from the original......

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I am fairly certain the one key I do have is a factory key, so at least I've got an original from which to have copies made.

I dis-assembled the bag lock and there is a number stamped on the barrel. It looks like this:

AT#
###

Those characters are raised, not pressed in, which makes me believe this is likely a part number, and NOT a key specific code. But I'm shooting in the dark.

Current rides:
2017 Raven ES
Previous toys:
2002 Concours
1991 VFR750
1984 KZ700
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I always go to a local locksmith and have keys made. They are a couple of bucks each and more durable. No reason to go back to Yamaha except for cases with chipped keys.
armstrong750 likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I always go to a local locksmith and have keys made. They are a couple of bucks each and more durable. No reason to go back to Yamaha except for cases with chipped keys.
I emailed the barrel number and model year of bike to the ebay guy, and he said that he can't make that key. I'm wondering if he thought it was chipped. I've heard enough here to know it's not necessary. I'll be hitting up a locksmith soon.

Thank you, all!

Current rides:
2017 Raven ES
Previous toys:
2002 Concours
1991 VFR750
1984 KZ700

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page