FJR Owners Forum banner

Key codes

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  JohnC 
#1 ·
I tried a search for this, but it kept throwing out 'key' as a too common word.

My '17 came with one key, and did not have the tag or stamp with the code on it. I would like very much to get at least one more key made. I've found a guy on ebay who cuts keys based on those codes. If I remember, the information on his page said that the key code can be found on the ignition barrel, and with some bikes, on the barrels found on the bags. My bag locks have a four digit code printed on the tongue. Is this the key code? Is it supposed to be 5 digits? I'd like to know before doing more than dis-assembling than is necessary.

#2 ·
You may not have to disassemble anything. Call around- my local locksmith keeps the necessary blanks in stock and will copy a key for about $3. My factory keys get used for one thing- make copies. I have always used copies for everything. That way I always have a pristine original to copy from.

#3 ·
I purchased a 2014 and it came with only one key. It was worn. I had some made at Ace hardware and they work fine but I too would like to have a new one made from the code. I am interested in finding my code also.

Thanks

#5 ·
We get 3 keys here... should come with a tag with the code, mine is A plus 4 digits.

#6 · (Edited)
It's a good idea to use copies. The factory keys are, I think, softer and bend more easily than they should.

I went with these guys. I figured cutting a key to code (if, of course you have the code) would be more precise than just copying an even an unworn factory original. It cost a bit more - $10 - $12 a key instead of $3 - $5, but I have the two factory keys and the code tag tucked safely away in a file cabinet. I am just happy that US spec FJRs do not have an immobilizer.

Edit 10/21/2019: forgot the link: http://keys4urride.com/

#7 ·
The immobilizers aren't a problem, we've had them for years, all Gen2 and up have them except the US. Failures are really rare (I know of two overseas, one a broken wire).

You get a red master key that is used to program or re-program a replacement key, and you keep this in a safe place at home. I also got a spare blank chip key I can program if I lose one. With any bike, I keep the spare key in an inside pocket of my jacket with my insurance/owner documents. If you happen to lose your main key, at least you have the spare with you.. handy if you're 3000 miles from home.
No problem getting a spare cut from the original......

#8 ·
I am fairly certain the one key I do have is a factory key, so at least I've got an original from which to have copies made.

I dis-assembled the bag lock and there is a number stamped on the barrel. It looks like this:

AT#
###

Those characters are raised, not pressed in, which makes me believe this is likely a part number, and NOT a key specific code. But I'm shooting in the dark.

#10 ·
I emailed the barrel number and model year of bike to the ebay guy, and he said that he can't make that key. I'm wondering if he thought it was chipped. I've heard enough here to know it's not necessary. I'll be hitting up a locksmith soon.

Thank you, all!

#12 ·
I was thinking, I know right? :shock:

Did an owners manual come with the bike? May be worth a look to see if the original purchaser did the smart thing and wrote the key code in there somewhere.

Reactions: JohnC and bounce
#13 ·
Unfortunately, my bike did not come with a manual. Bike, one key, and 60 payments. That was it.

Am I right that my 2017 model does NOT have a chipped key? Bounce's last reply has me wondering. I wasn't worried about asking a faceless business to simply cut a key by code.

#14 ·
There are US bikes and "Rest of World"... US did not get immobilizers (yet). It will be in your owner's manual if you did. If you don't have one, download one from Yamaha.

Reactions: bounce
#16 ·
Immobilizers. We can download immobilizers.

Reactions: bounce and JohnC
#20 ·
I buy blanks from the dealer (yes, they are proud of them) and pay a local locksmith a few bucks to copy them from the original. I have done this with every bike I ever owned and never had a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.