How Old is Getting Older? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

How Old is Getting Older?

So with all this talk of needing lighter bikes as we age would someone please define how old getting older is? I’m sure it varies for individuals but just trying to wrap my head around it and wondering what I have to look forward to. I’m 63 my Dad is 91. It’s always great fun to park the FJR in front of the independent living complex where he lives and the people there love the bike. At 5’7” the FJR has always been heavy but I don’t feel any need to replace it...yet. So are we talking choice or necessity? No right or wrong answer just wondering what it is that has people considering other bikes. I do think it’s a great excuse for a new bike, but at our age who needs an excuse? ��
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:29 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
So with all this talk of needing lighter bikes as we age would someone please define how old getting older is? Iím sure it varies for individuals but just trying to wrap my head around it and wondering what I have to look forward to. Iím 63 my Dad is 91. Itís always great fun to park the FJR in front of the independent living complex where he lives and the people there love the bike. At 5í7Ē the FJR has always been heavy but I donít feel any need to replace it...yet. So are we talking choice or necessity? No right or wrong answer just wondering what it is that has people considering other bikes. I do think itís a great excuse for a new bike, but at our age who needs an excuse? ��
OK, you've got 2 years on me. Changing bikes (reducing weight, etc.) isn't a necessity yet. By default, I'm a planner. Left riding for 30 years while raising family. Can't believe what I was missing and just want to continue for as long as it's feasible. Hopefully, I'll be like Redfish's dad and can ride into my 70s.
2014oldred likes this.

2006 FJR1300A
Central NJ, USA
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:57 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I just turned 54, so perhaps around the average age for an FJR rider. I figure as long as a guy has the balance and strength to keep the bike upright at a standstill, and to keep it from tipping over when those inevitable minor imbalances happen on things like uneven parking spots, then thereís no need to go to a smaller bike.
Red On Rockwell and passx like this.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:03 AM
Farkle Trainee

After my ZZR1200, I swore I'd never own another bike in excess of 600 lbs. I'm 59 and fit/strong but the FJR is heavy, top-loaded and awkward when pushing it around the garage and such. Yeah, yeah, once it's rolling the weight disappears but stopped, you can't hide the bloat. If this bike were 150 lb's lighter, it'd be a dream. Do I see myself riding it forever? Likely not. Once the bloom is off the rose for my daughter and riding, I'll probably head back to what I love- UJM style bikes, like the Kawasaki Z900RS and lighter weight ST's, like the Versys 650/1000.

Last edited by spectreman; 10-05-2019 at 08:27 AM.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

As you get older you think differently, and if you have good knees, all good with an FJR. Mine has been feeling a little heavy the last year or so, still the best bike I've ever had. Don't really want to give it up.
I know one day I'll have to give up riding, I want to enjoy a lighter bike as long as I can... next birthday the big 70, I'm doing a little forward planning...what will get me to 80 on two wheels... dunno, gonna just enjoy looking and trying, and enjoying a lighter bike while I can, and hanging out with all my riding dudes that keep me young.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:19 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I'll be 63 in December and just bought my FJR last week (9/27). My reason to get the FJR was to use my nearly 900 pound previous bike for a trade in. Regardless of your age one could look at this and say that the ideal weight of your next bike is all relative to what you are riding now which makes you feel threatened, threatened by the weight of the bike that you need to park, balance, ride etc.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:33 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectreman View Post
I'll probably head back to what I love- UJM style bikes.
Me too. I'm 65. When my dad's health was declining, I bought him a Yamaha 650 turbo.

'06 FJR 1300AE
'05 BMW R1200RT
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Farkle Trainee

I'm right there with Rayzerman, next birthday I'll be 70. I'm not a big person at 5'6", or particularly strong, so all bikes I've owned since I switched to I-4 liter bikes in 1977 have been tall and heavy for me. My last one before the FJR was an ST 1300 and it was really heavy IMO but I never dropped it in 10 years and 110,000 miles. Dropped the FJR turning around in a gravel parking lot 6 weeks into owning it and broke my left arm. I have a CB 1100 too and at 575 pounds it's not too bad. I also have an out of state nephew's CB500X in the garage that I am welcome to ride anytime, that weighs 432 pounds and although it is plenty light, it's also gutless IMO. I could learn to live with it, but I don't want to. I like the power of liter bikes.

My dad rode Indians, then Harleys and as he got older (in his late 50's) he switched to a CB 350F Honda, then a CB 200, then a CB 125 and ended his motorcycle career on a Moto Guzzi 125. By my current age he had given up riding altogether and only lived a few more years. Our family history (grandparents, parents, and my older brother) suggests 78-79 is our life expectancy. So I figure I only have a few years to go. Dealing with a couple medical issues now,but they aren't keeping me from riding. I still take multiple out of state trips every year and at least one of them with my adult son who has been taking trips with me for the last 13 years. He currently rides a Yamaha MT-10 liter bike lol. My wife who at 67 has been riding with me for 45 years is now at the point she can no longer ride long distances after having a hip and 2 knees replaced, but she has ridden with me thru 42 states, 2 provinces of Canada and 5 countries in Europe. I miss her riding on trips with me. She was a great traveling companion and pillion.

I will ride the FJR and CB 1100 as long as I feel comfortable and then maybe get a mid sized scooter, that I can step thru instead of swinging my leg over. Who knows. Seems most real motorcycles have a 31" seat height these days and that is an issue for me. I know I have been riding almost daily since 1965 and won't give it up unless health forces me to.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 10-05-2019 at 02:20 PM.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:46 AM
FJR Top Gun

I'm 73 and not as strong as I used to be. I have trouble reaching the ground comfortably on the FJR. I can reach it, but I can't with a knee slightly bent to be able to push if that makes any sense. I get my foot on the ground and I can't push on loose surfaces; my foot just slides. If I could reach the ground a little farther from the bike I could get the leverage to push. I could push my Goldwing backwards easier than the FJR because I could bend my knee with my foot flat on the ground a little further from the bike and get traction to push.

And if I let the FJR get the slightest bit off balance the bars are so narrow I don't get the leverage I need to hold it comfortably. Again, the Goldwing was easier to manage in tight, slow situations on loose surfaces because the bars were wider and the seat was a little closer to the ground.

I'm much more comfortable on my ZRX in these situations. It's lighter, has wider bars, and I can reach the ground. My old "Rex" has had a hard life, but I've considered trying to find a nice ZRX as my touring bike when I finally age off the FJR.

A friend gave me a Burgman a few years back before he died. I tried to ride it to honor him some and tried to like it. I kept it for three years for "when I got older", but I finally decided I won't get that old
Red On Rockwell likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:20 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I'm a new FJR owner, I got back into the sport after a 30 year absence and love it. I'm 49 and at 5'9 the bike fits me like a glove. I don't notice the weight....yet. Father time and our own common sence will dictate when its time to stop so I wouldnt put a number like age on it.

2008 Yamaha FJR 1300
2005 Yamaha Midnight Warrior 1700
1985 Honda Interceptor 750
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 600
1983 Honda CB 450

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page