FJR vs BEAR - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

FJR vs BEAR

Weatherman is calling for first snow, better yet a foot or more, and cooler temperatures over the next 5 days, so I took advantage to have one more ride this morning, it was decent 13deg C and sunny. Drove for hour and half, got half way through Sheep Falls provincial park, had my Sena playing music, heaven Decided to check my Emails so I pulled over to the side of the road, killed the engine, music still playing, checking my Emails, looked to the left and surprise surprise a big bear just standing there looking at me, about 60ft away

He must have had a good breakfast earlier cause he didn't show too much interest in eating me I nearly dropped my phone, did my record best time to start my FJR ( Thx Yamaha for excellent ignition system ) found the clutch with my shaky hands and started leaving. Pulled a U-turn down the road, turned back and took a few pics and short video of my friend, to share with my family and friends, as he was still standing there grazing on berries or something. I honked twice but he didn't even blink, not afraid of humans,cars,bikes...

I spent couple hrs ridding this 30km long park, up and down, saw 2 cars and 1 bike, very secluded part of Alberta during the week, nobody would have heard me crying for help so "Thank you my furry friend, for not spoiling my lovely ride today"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190926_142131.jpg (260.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190926_142708.jpg (378.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190926_143101.jpg (763.9 KB, 69 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 03:58 AM
Farkle Trainee

Cool story! I think Id have been making a hasty getaway as well.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 09:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Nice pics.

Reminds me of hunting white tail in the SE Okla hilly woods. Found bear sign and started tracking it. Then I wised up and started remembering all those old western tales of how bears are smart and will circle back around and start hunting the hunter. Stopped with my back to a tree for about 30 minutes (hunting white tail, of course). Here came ole blackie from the way I had come. I unassed the area post-haste without incident.

Did he really loop around? Was it old sign and he was just covering his territory? At that point I didn't care.
Damir likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Farkle Trainee

@Damir that is a nice story and some nice pics. The landscape around the bear looks fantastic.

Just a tip for your photos, the pics always look better if you can get your FJR in the pic. Next time park the bike close to the bear and try to get both in the pic at once. Remember, it's all for the good of the forum!

@bounce Pop had that same thing happen many years ago in North Carolina. He was stationed on a USMC base there and was deer hunting. He had always wanted a bear skin rug. He realized two things at once. Bears STINK!!! and that the bear was also tracking him!
bounce, klwhitacre, passx and 3 others like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
@Damir that is a nice story and some nice pics. The landscape around the bear looks fantastic.

Just a tip for your photos, the pics always look better if you can get your FJR in the pic. Next time park the bike close to the bear and try to get both in the pic at once. Remember, it's all for the good of the forum!
Redfish, ha ha ... yes it did crossed my mind, but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't find the kickstand, and the voices in my head going; "Just play dead" and "Don't look him in the eyes" (and some other similar quality Google instructions)...and as I mentioned my Sena was still playing music, my favorite R.Stones song; "You can make it if you try"
Redfish likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 11:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

You probably did the Right Thing. It would be bad if the bear had eaten you.

It would be even worse if he had scratched up your FJR...

Sorry, that was mean. I take it back!
wheaton and Damir like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 12:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Redfish, ha ha ... yes it did crossed my mind, but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't find the kickstand, and the voices in my head going; "Just play dead" and "Don't look him in the eyes" (and some other similar quality Google instructions)...and as I mentioned my Sena was still playing music, my favorite R.Stones song; "You can make it if you try"
The other issue would be the bear stealing your bike, they like to ride too

'14 FJR1300ES
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 12:34 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

You need bear repellant. S&W 500. The left one is 325-gr bullet. The right is a 700-grain stopper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1040319.jpg (153.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg L1040323.jpg (116.1 KB, 19 views)
wheaton and Sete Bond like this.

Last edited by poprivit; 09-27-2019 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Cool story and I like the pictures! You must have missed the pictures of her cubs on the other side of the road behind you.

FjrjrF and Damir like this.

-Steve in Phx
IBA# 61624
2007 FJR1300AE
2000 Honda XR650L (bought new)

...and a bunch of other dirt bikes
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 08:16 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Damir, if a bear eats you in the future, can I have your silver rocket!?! HaHaHa.....

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page