FJR vs BEAR - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 51Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Damir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Calgary,AB,Canada
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
Damir, if a bear eats you in the future, can I have your silver rocket!?! HaHaHa.....
Ha ha, yes but you will have to negotiate the bike with the bear
FjrjrF likes this.
Damir is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
FJR Top Gun
 
FjrjrF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: West Central, NJ
Posts: 1,071
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Ha ha, yes but you will have to negotiate the bike with the bear
LOLOL After seeing that bear riding videos, I didn't know they ride! HAHa! That is a funny video.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
FjrjrF is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Central Oregon Coast
Posts: 354
I've just never understood why so many people freak out over black bears. Now if it was a grizzly I might understand it. I have some experience with bears having worked and lived in Yellowstone for five years. As far as lying down and playing dead goes my advice would be don't do that. Your best bet is to face the bear and slowly walk backwards while facing the bear. I'm talking grizzly bear here. Best not to run but that's what I would do rather than play dead. As far as climbing a tree goes you won't have time to get high enough. We had a female ranger loose about 7 pounds right out of her hind end while climbing a tree. The way you tell if it's a grizz or black after you is if it's a grizz he will just knock the tree down with you in it while a black will climb up after you. A grizz can't climb a tree. In actuality a black wouldn't waste his time coming up a tree after a human since they are as afraid of you as you are of them.

I live on the central Oregon coast and we have bazillions of black bear around here. I was sitting on the front deck this summer when a small back walked right in front of the deck and climbed a tree after my bird feeders. I have the feeders suspended on a cable with a pulley on each end between the house and garage. I told the bear to get down out of the tree but he just ignored me so I drug out the leaf blower and he came down and took off. A 300 pounder ventured into the yard and the siamese cat scared him off. Actually I'm about half scared of that siamese cat myself having been shredded a few times.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape
JamesW is offline  
 
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Damir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Calgary,AB,Canada
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
I've just never understood why so many people freak out over black bears. Now if it was a grizzly I might understand it. I have some experience with bears having worked and lived in Yellowstone for five years. As far as lying down and playing dead goes my advice would be don't do that. Your best bet is to face the bear and slowly walk backwards while facing the bear. I'm talking grizzly bear here. Best not to run but that's what I would do rather than play dead. As far as climbing a tree goes you won't have time to get high enough. We had a female ranger loose about 7 pounds right out of her hind end while climbing a tree. The way you tell if it's a grizz or black after you is if it's a grizz he will just knock the tree down with you in it while a black will climb up after you. A grizz can't climb a tree. In actuality a black wouldn't waste his time coming up a tree after a human since they are as afraid of you as you are of them.

I live on the central Oregon coast and we have bazillions of black bear around here. I was sitting on the front deck this summer when a small back walked right in front of the deck and climbed a tree after my bird feeders. I have the feeders suspended on a cable with a pulley on each end between the house and garage. I told the bear to get down out of the tree but he just ignored me so I drug out the leaf blower and he came down and took off. A 300 pounder ventured into the yard and the siamese cat scared him off. Actually I'm about half scared of that siamese cat myself having been shredded a few times.
James based on the above it seems that you do have some experience and close encounters with wildlife, and you learned that a bit of "noise + leaf blower" will scare most black bears away. (like I mentioned in my post I came really close to this black, and blasted my dual PIAA's horns a couple of times, and he didn't even blink, maybe I should carry my gas leaf blower ) but for an average city raised person without the experience like yours, it is not unusual to freak out over a "wild animal" that can shred a human body to pieces, yes grizzly is more powerful, but don't fool yourself black bears are not less dangerous, especially when protecting their cubs, black bears are just smaller and it will take them a few minutes longer, it is "wrong" to assume humans should not fear and respect wild animals, especially animals with such immense bone crushing jaws and physical power and presence IMHO. Over time wild animals got pushed closer and closer to areas where humans live, and somewhat integrated themselves with humans, and sadly accidents happen for one reason or another and then wildlife authorities kill the animal, like that will fix the problem

I don't agree we should teach our children that bears are killing machines, but it's a good idea to teach them awareness and teach them that bears are still wild, dangerous and unpredictable animals. Some people may think otherwise and I respect that, I am sure Lion and tiger trainers and marine biologist swimming with great white sharks may think otherwise, but for the rest of us city slickers it's always better to "freak out" and keep distance, just in case, that way we won't become a statistic number and a part of this partial list of bear attack casualties in The Americas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

p.s. to put the above in perspective, next time you get shredded by your trusted cat, think what if she was 20-30 times the size with 3-4 inch claws (and this is just for the argument sake, of course I don't wish you (or anybody else) to get hurt in anyway )
philharmonic likes this.
Damir is online now  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:20 PM
Senior Member
FJR Top Gun
 
FjrjrF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: West Central, NJ
Posts: 1,071
Garage
You don't need to worry if one were wearing the Aerostich Roadcrafter classic onesie, they make the bear work at it. Once your stained shorts inside start to smell that'll fend off the bear also. The bear will probably will tire out and leave you in the middle of the road, LOL. The R3 hasn't been tested yet.
passx, cra-z1 and Damir like this.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
FjrjrF is offline  
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Gitbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 400
Quote:
I'm about half scared of that Siamese cat myself having been shredded a few times
LOL! Yeah, I can relate to that!

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.
Gitbox is offline  
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 11:27 PM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
RaYzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Millgrove, ON, CA
Posts: 5,031

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
RaYzerman is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
david1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia - East Coast
Posts: 2,986
I suggest that in future you don't stop to check you emails. That's the problem right there

IBA 21684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
but when you do need them, use them with all your might
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
david1300 is offline  
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Damir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Calgary,AB,Canada
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1300 View Post
I suggest that in future you don't stop to check you emails. That's the problem right there [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
I think you are right, will get some touch screen friendly gloves and check my Emails while riding, as you suggested 😛
Damir is online now  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:49 AM
Junior Member
Training wheels fitted!
 
BobY04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 8
Cool. I would have panicked if I were you. I'm terrified of bears since I saw The Revenant.

Wazzup?!
BobY04 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome