FJR Owners Forum banner

mirrors vibrating while under power

4K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  texasute 
#1 ·
2008 FJR.

Hi all. I reviewed several posts on vibration but most had to do with handlebars. My bike performs perfectly but I notice the mirrors get blurry only when under power and then the problem goes away as soon as I throttle off - regardless of speed. Like a light switch. And, I can't feel the vibration.

Sorry if this is the 29th post on this subject and I missed it but I'm appreciative if I can get a good steer on where to find this info. Cheers!

#2 ·
welcome to the forum texasute! I’ve not noticed this on my 2015...but think of it this way, when you’re heavy on the throttle you don’t need to be looking behind, just ahead to where you’re going:grin2:...unless of course you’re running from the law!

#3 ·
2008 FJR.

Hi all. I reviewed several posts on vibration but most had to do with handlebars. My bike performs perfectly but I notice the mirrors get blurry only when under power and then the problem goes away as soon as I throttle off - regardless of speed.
Check to make sure the mirror mounting bolts are tight.

Reactions: texasute
#5 ·
Perhaps a minor contributor, but you could consider a throttle body sync at some point. The mirrors need to pivot in case of a tipover, there is a stack of washers when you remove that nut.... if the mirrors aren't loose, then I'd hesitate to tighten them up any further (reconfigure the stack of cupped washers).
Another option is to switch to 2003-2005 FZ1 mirrors if that look doesn't bother you... you can actually see behind you with those (or the Emgo knock-offs, much cheaper and just as good IMHO).

#7 ·
texasute,

Nah, prolly not the drivetrain. A Throttle Body Syncronization (TBS) will likely fix it for you, unless the mirror bolts are loose, or (maybe) the internal mirror support frame is broken. Compare yours to another FJR, and if the mirrors are mounted solidly (not much flex), try the TBS job first. You will probably like what a TBS does for the bike, even if the mirrors might still have the shakes.

Keep us posted. :grin:

#8 ·
I bought my '07 new in Jan '08 and have always had and still have this. I tried all kinds of things then finally said the heck with it. On mine the right mirror buzzes a little more than the left.

#9 ·
the mirrors get blurry only when under power
Maybe it's your corneas flattening out under the wicked acceleration. :grin2:

But seriously, I never even look at my mirrors under acceleration (that I recall anyway). I mostly just check them at cruising speed. I may have to try that and report back since I have that same year FJR.

Reactions: passx
#10 ·
The bike definitely do scoot:) Took it on the highway today to check it out. Again, ran fine but now I'm hypersensitive to vibration and my own sensibilities. Was that there before? Is this new? Maybe, I'm just losing my mind. Seriously though, I remember being able to see everything behind me with some clarity when I'm at cruise speed. Now, not so much and now I'm questioning whether I am feeling previously non-existent vibrations after all.

Thanks for the feedback!

#14 ·
texasute,

For the 2008 FJR, there is also the UNauthorized TBS procedure (I can't locate that one right now) which has just a few extra steps for a better sync. TwoWheelObsession has a YouTube TBS for a later model FJR, and there are lots of tech write-ups for the TBS process here and on other FJR forums.

#20 · (Edited)
Texasute, you just haven’t found “that guy” yet �� but on the vibration thing I would start at the front and check every fastener all the way to the back. On my 14a I had a lot of vibration when it was new and took it back to the dealer multiple times for it, they supposedly did a tbs on it and it did run better but Still had a lot of vibration.

As it turns out I decided at the urging of several here to do a total torque check and I found the lh muffler was very loose, retorquing everything reduced the vibration in my bike, so I do a yearly check these days.

Being that it’s getting worse says that Either something is loose or going south.do the easy stuff first.

#22 ·
Texasute, you just haven't found "that guy" yet 😁
That's because I have been on a two week motorcycle trip. >:)

I will try to Be Nice even though you have hurt my feelings...:frown2:

My left mirror vibrates slightly more than my right mirror. My '15 vibrates a LOT more than Pop's '14. I never really notice it until I get on his bike, most of the time I think my '15 is as smooth as silk.

The Unauthorized Throttle Body Sync is authored by Fred W on the fjrforum. He is a wealth of knowledge and knows what he is talking about.

#23 ·
My thoughts on the UTBS, chances are you'll find they are fine as is. If you're going to do it, best remove the airbox and use drill rod (or two identical drills), use one for reference and gauge each of the other TB plates to be the same... repeat using a reference on the other pair of throttle bodies. Better yet, remove the throttle bodies and give them a nice cleaning to get the accumulation off the plates and vacuum passages.
Note, this is for Gen1 & 2 only, the Gen3 does not have these adjustments and is entirely different.

#24 · (Edited)
I was a little concerned when I added the fz1 mirrors to my bike about them vibrating since the stem is a lot longer and thinner plus I bought the Emgo versions and not oe. But they’ve been fine, clear as a Bell. But I think it’s a luck of the draw thing because as i’ve Stated a few times of the 5-6 fjr’s that I’ve ridden mine vibrates noticeably more but has also subsided more as the miles have accumulated. But the mirrors are clear.

My real thoughts on this though were confirmed by redfish when he stated that his Pop’s 2014 (the very fastest color) bikes mirrors don't vibrate which proves my thoughts that being the very fastest color the wind resistance pushing on the mirrors stabilizes them, you just have to adjust the pivots to handle all that extra pressure,,,,,,, that’s my thoughts on it and i’m Sticking to it ������������

Anyway, redfish I hope your Pop’s got to go along on your ride and you had a great time, I really wish I would’ve been able to do things like that with my dad, your are truly blessed my friend !

#25 ·
Hi texasute, I was wondering have you had the bike from new or hand me down. If the latter then you don't know the history of the bike.
The reason I say this is, the clutch has been worked there is a particular procedure for reassembly, mainly dealing with the rear Counter balance. If it is not set up properly you will get the vibration you are experiencing. Good luck with that, Alan.

#26 ·
Thanks to all for the most recent input. I've been doing some more testing and my data is now a bit more fine-tuned. I'm guessing it's not chassis (incl: tires, mirrors and suspension. I powered up to a variety of cruise speeds 60-80mph, throttled off and pulled in the clutch and the mirrors cleared right up. Also, even at a light, just revving it, I get the same symptoms. Motor mounts make sense but anything inside the throttle body and deeper is going to be beyond my abilities (and time). I'm going to hit the local Yammi service department Monday to see if I can get somebody to ride it - and confirm whether I'm seeing invisible gremlins; or, if my engine is about to eject itself and go on its own field trip down the highway:) Cheers to everyone!

#27 ·
It is not the engine mounts, there are several of them, very solid. One thing to check is the mirror mounts inside the fairing, there are two each side and they have on occasion been reported not snug, worth a look. However, you are most likely seeing engine vibrations.

Reactions: passx and texasute
#29 ·
Turned out to be mirror mounts after all. Realized that the main problem was in one mirror and the other was fine. Thanks again to everyone for their input - including some things to consider for the future such as TBS. I'm concluding this thread. Ride on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.