Repair Manuals - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Repair Manuals

What repair manuals does everybody use? I've misplaced my Yamaha Repair Manual for my 2007A. I was about to order a new, but always like the Haynes Manuals, then my son says use a computer screen with down loaded manuals and easy access to instructional video and I can make print larger and brighter for my aging eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 FJR 1300A, 2014 FZ09, did not ride since 1992 after wrecking 1984 Seca 550, low sided 1984 RZ 350, 1983 550 Maximum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:33 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thou havest PM inbound ...
SnuffySmith likes this.

2013 Stone Grey

2007 Black Cherie - For Sale !!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 01:58 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Repair Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffySmith View Post
What repair manuals does everybody use? I've misplaced my Yamaha Repair Manual for my 2007A. I was about to order a new, but always like the Haynes Manuals, then my son says use a computer screen with down loaded manuals and easy access to instructional video and I can make print larger and brighter for my aging eyes.
SnuffySmith,

Yamaha has never released a digital manual to the public. Dealers may have one, but it is not for sale. The Internet classified ads may offer them, but even when they picture the paper manual, what you get is often just an illegal pirated CD. Most of those CD copies have pages scanned as images, meaning that you can not Search for a word in the volume, even when you are looking right at that word. Not sure if Haynes or the other commercial manuals sell digital copies, but if you buy the book used online, make sure the seller is selling you the real book, not a pirated CD. If you accept piracy, that's your choice, of course. I found the real Yamaha paper manual for my FJR on-line, so there are real Yamaha manuals for sale at times, but I'm just saying "buyer beware."

Most modern printers today are also image scanners. You can scan only the pages you need for a repair from the paper manual, and put them on an old laptop for shop use. A USB flash drive makes it easy to transfer such files to the laptop. That practice will keep your shop manual clean forever. If you ever part with the FJR, that pristine shop manual should be worth what you paid for it, and maybe more, to the new owner. After a while, your laptop will accumulate a collection of these maintenance files that you use most often. It is also easy to cross-reference to other jobs, so when the manual says "remove X panel," the next file you see can be that process (instead of flipping all around in the book).

GIMP image software makes it easy to capture scanner images, and it is FREE. They have Gimp tutorials there to get you going. HTH.

https://www.gimp.org/
bounce and SnuffySmith like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

PM inbound
SnuffySmith likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Or you can go the OEM route which I did:

https://www.yamahapubs.com/

Regards,
Mr. BR
Bill Lumberg and SnuffySmith like this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:10 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
PM sent.
SnuffySmith likes this.

2016 FJR1300 ES
Sargent seat
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 02:53 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffySmith View Post

http://servicemanualwarehouse.com/
SnuffySmith likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:06 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The problem with PDF manuals is that the whole thing generally is scanned at 300 dpi. That is adequate for all except electrical diagrams. At 300 dpi, you probably will not be able to read all the wiring color codes.

That is normally not a problem withe the Series I and II bikes, but it can be a problem with the Series III. Series III FJRs are a little more complicated electrically.
SnuffySmith likes this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:41 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
The problem with PDF manuals is that the whole thing generally is scanned at 300 dpi. That is adequate for all except electrical diagrams. At 300 dpi, you probably will not be able to read all the wiring color codes.
The problem with “PDF manuals” is that they are bootleg if scans. Real factory PDF manuals are “typeset” to PDF so they render at whatever resolution your display or printer. Real PDF can be searched for text phrases. Tables of Contents not only list page numbers but are linked and jump directly.

If I was running a motor vehicle manufacturer I would provide PDF service manuals for free download because 1) I have to pay to have the manuals written anyway for my dealer service. 2) The better maintained used vehicles will have higher resale value which will allow me to charge more for new vehicles.

In 1993 I was very impressed with then-up-and-coming Infiniti. My new Infiniti G20 came with a printed service manual in a shelf box in a compartment made for it in the trunk. If for some reason I needed non-dealer assistance the mechanic had no excuse not to know the procedures because they were in the manual in the trunk.

It was a trade-size paperback, but so what?

When I had trouble with rear wheel alignment and was told camber was not adjustable I consulted the manual. Manual also said not adjustable. But the coil-over rear shock assembly shown in the manual strongly resembled VW Golf MacPherson strut front suspension right down to what appeared to be a a clamp wrapping around the bottom of the strut and bolting to a cast axle hub with two bolts about 2” apart. Those two bolts are exactly how one adjusts camber on VW. Realized I only needed 1/32” of slop, 1/64” each hole, to get 1° of adjustment. Loosened the bolts and the camber dropped into proper place. I was prepared to use a rat tail file to remove stamping flash for more clearance but didn’t have to.
SnuffySmith likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:29 AM
Farkle Trainee

I sure would like to find a manual for my 2012.

Any help appreciated...

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page