FJR Owners Forum banner

Getting Older - What Bike Next?

14K views 89 replies 32 participants last post by  FjrjrF 
#1 ·
I am going to apologize in advance... when I tell stories they tend to be wordy and longer than most. The whole thing is likely more interesting to me than you, but I hope you enjoy it as much as I have .....
I've really enjoyed my two FJR's, still enjoy it, nothing like it. Best bike I've ever had. However, as I age, the body just starts talking a little louder, the knees complain, and the FJR gets that little bit heavier every year. Had to give up the hockey I loved at 51, and here I am at the last age I'll have with a 6 in front. So for the last couple of years or so, just trying to find a "just as much fun" bike that weighs 100 lbs. less. Had tried a V-Strom, decent all-rounder but not sporty or solid enough to inspire confidence in the twisties. Tried others, no bike I could find to push the right buttons.....

Last year a friend raved about the the Yamaha Tracer GT he had bought.. offered test rides, which I did. Impressive, had speed and handling, seat seemed good, certainly a possibility, and my wallet was ready to jump out of my pocket.. but I want to think about it more. As well, I don't buy new bikes any more, and the 2019 Tracer GT is the first year here.

I check regularly to see if there's a used or gently crashed one, but I figure at minimum another year or two before I get or find one. Meanwhile tried a buddy's Kawi Versys 1000.. almost, it wasn't speaking loud enough to me. Last May, went to a local Yamaha demo ride, the ride leader was most excellent, we got to use all the bike's capabilities, none of this parading around at 40-50 mph lame stuff. 20 mile loop, at one point the ride leader had us at 160 kph (100 mph). My turn for the Tracer GT was the second ride, for the first I took the XSR900 and was impressed with that triple. On the Tracer, same loop, same deal/speeds. Didn't seem as peppy as the XSR, the seat sucked, I was underwhelmed, but still interested. That particular one maybe they detuned it somehow, dunno... seat sucked.

Left there went across town to my buddy's place, he rides an ST1300 (I used to have one) and a couple of years back we talked his wife into ditching her Yamaha cruiser and getting into something more sport touring (so she could keep up, but we didn't tell her that). The Honda we got her had always impressed with, smooth and powerful, beautiful red. She's hard to please, and I told her if she decided to get rid of it, I'd be all over it. So after the demo ride, I took it for a spin to refresh my memory. Yep still impressive.

This is a bike never imported into the US, only Canada, Europe and Australia. For Canada, 2006-2012 Honda CBF1000A, in-line 4, 6 speed, chain, 530 lbs., handles like a sport bike yet is more sport touring. At any speed in any gear, twist the grip and it pulls. Engine was a retuned Fireblade 1000 engine, cams designed so it pulls everywhere in the rev range, 100 hp, lots of torque. Maybe not the fastest liter bike, but I'll bet the smoothest. The CBF600 was imported into the US, identical except for the engine. I had always kept my eyes peeled for one, but after that spin, I went on a serious hunt for a 2009 which came in that nice red. Found this one on Kijiji, our version of Craigslist. These bikes are very affordable and don't depreciate much any more.

It was priced below market value and other listings, had only 20k kms (12k miles) on it, factory bags, was exactly what I was looking for.. From the pics, I knew it needed new tires. No response from the owner after a week, sometimes happens if already sold, a good possibility at that price.
OK time to keep looking. Found a black '08, I didn't want black but open minded, I could live with it. Owner had just dropped the price to where it should be, it had the best reputed aftermarket seat for that bike, recent Ohlins rear shock, and forks upgraded by the suspension shop I deal with. Basic Givi V35 bags and top box, Delkevic exhaust... this would save me tons of money in farkles.... talked to the owner, mature guy, wouldn't take a deposit "in case you don't like it when you get here". He was 2.5 hours away, via Torontarded traffic..... basically told him I'm taking it over the phone. So a few days later, it jumped into the back of my truck.

I get it home and start planning what I needed for farkles and how to get the ergos to the point of being near FJR comfort level for strings of longer day rides. Ordered a few things, aftermarket levers, LED lights, new tires (needed to pass inspection), crash bars and two painted panels to upgrade the base model Givis.

A few more days pass, I get an email about the red one... "Can show you the bike"... another week from now, I don't know any more than the guy is selling it because he is moving to the US. I really did want the red one, said yes... It costs nothing to look, and I had plenty of time to think it over.

He lived over an hour away, but wanted to meet me near here 20 minutes away at a shopping mall. Hmmm, a bit odd. He had the Used Vehicle Package (government document detailing all the ownership history, liens, etc.), if he hadn't I would have passed. Cash in my pocket, truck and trailer, met him at the mall. His wife was on the way in the car, she was late so we talked for half an hour. Bike was pristine except a bit dirty from riding it in some rain, had just come from PA. I couldn't nail down the accent, a bit French/Spanish maybe. When wifey arrived, they talked in their language and I had not heard it before, so I asked. Brazilian... more conversation, were very genuine, nicest people you'd want to meet. He show me he put brand new Shinkos on it, had a Leo Vince exhaust in the trunk of the car, Barkbusters, and all the original sale papers from new, and the maintenance invoices. He had worked in PA the last 4 years, they were moving down there, and since it was never a certified bike for the US, they had told him in no uncertain terms could that bike ever be imported into a US title. He was very disappointed he had no choice but to sell it. It was too good a deal to pass up, I said let's load it up... he wanted to unfarkle his GPS, licence plate frame, a fuse panel.. wanted to take it home, can pick up in a few days, I said OK, I'll go to your place. I had the cash in my pocket, he would not even take a deposit.

As I am about to leave, a frog strangling thunderstorm rolled in, we were getting wet, he had no rainsuit... I gave him a set of FroggToggs I had in the truck... I'll get them back when I see you. It poured buckets... they were going to wait it out in the car.

A few days later, we meet near his place at a McDonalds, loaded up the bike and he wanted to do the paperwork over a coffee. All of this is totally unnecessary because of the aforementioned Used Vehicle Package, but OK, I like coffee and wasting time. Stickler for detail, and writing out receipts for both parties, and gave me some more goodies in a laptop bag, virgin Owner's manual and CD with the service manual... Christmas time. Money counted, all good, shot the breeze some more, then good to go (after an hour). Nice guy truly though.

To be continued.

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent Ray! I read your entire story...it’s great when you find one, let alone two great sellers on the right bike👍🏻 Congrats and enjoy your new bike(s?) or are you selling the black one?🍻

#5 ·
Rented this a 2012 Honda CBF1000A in Europe and was ultra delighted with it. Right size, right power, and just right in ever so many other ways for an older rider who has tired of balancing the top heavy FJR.

Coming to the US, I looked high and low for one, but never found any for sale. And now, it appears I cannot even buy one in Canada and bring into the US. :-(

Otherwise, I would be delighted to help empty your garage!!!

#6 ·
Yes it is a cool bike... who says I can't park one at your place, LOL...... after all it was in PA much of the last 4 years. Yammieboy is onto me though.... more to follow.

BTW, the CBF was changed in 2010, and got an aluminum frame, electric windshield I think, longer (lower fairings), 4-in-1 exhaust, maybe a touch longer swingarm (drive chain has 6 more links). They stopped importing to Canada in 2012, while EU had them at least up to 2016 (heard of an '18 but not confirmed).

Reactions: jtdunc
#7 · (Edited)
Well Ray, it seems that you’ve been listening !!! Congrats on that FASTEST COLOR RED new Honda !������ kinda reminds me of the CBRXX Blackbird,,, fast as heck and so smooth.

Past that, your evaluation of the Tracer GT is in my opinion spot on, probably the worst oe seat i’ve Ever sat on, period. Like you i’ve been kinda looking for a next/lighter/smaller bike. I rode a Honda ft500 Ascot that i’ve just built for a guy yesterday and it was quite fun, so light and small and slooow, even though it is the fastest color red but fun anyway.

I’m a few years younger and that Honda looks like the perfect fit for an fjr replacement, it probably doesn’t have cruise but push’s all the other right buttons. To bad they can’t import them down here, wonder why not ? Enjoy and keep us updated, be careful though since you’re not accustomed to that much power (red ��) though !

You had to know that I was going to give you the business right ? Enjoy!

Reactions: smokamoto
#8 ·
Well... if Yammie had used a richer more candy (less orange, more blue or tinted clearcoat) red, more like the Honda reds (nice one was 2008 ST1300).... the red FJR would be able to keep up, LOL.
The Tracer is still on the radar but I'm going to work on this Honda, as it is a nice solid 530 lb. bike. As I tell more of the story, you'll see where I'm going with it.

FYI, a pic of a pearl white 2012, in Britain they call it a Mk2 Biffer, which is the Gen2. Mine is what they call Mk1. The beauty of these is they are relatively cheap to buy, more like toy money, can't really lose. Most are low milers, the red one has 20k (12k miles), paid C$4300. That white one has 8k (4800 miles), asking C$5300 (tad less than market value, older owner, giving up bikes) but needs seat and saddlebags... I am really tempted, but..... can always get a Mk2 later... wanna ride one, staying off it for fear my wallet will once again jump out of my pocket.

Thanks Ferret for the review..... quite helpful actually. I have to stay out of "sport bike" category for insurance reasons... it ain't cheap here.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Ray,ray,ray ��

My buddy just this week bought an 05 red st1300, beautiful bike ! That pearl white mk2 is a looker (did I mention that i’m Abike nut!) not a flat paint fan but I like that ! Why aren’t they importing them to the US ? And finally I do hope that if you let your much slower candy cow pie fjr go that you’ll stay active here. You are a lot of fun and even though we’ve never met I feel like I have a friend, thx !

#10 ·
Congrats on the new bike.

As an owner of a CB900F/919/Hornet, which was the generation before the CBF1000, and previous owner of CB350, CB750. I know this is a class that Honda quietly excels in. It really shows Honda's roots in the CB class and quite frankly, the creation of the "UJMC" that was so prolific through the 70's and 80's. Other models get the press coverage and hype, and excel at specific targets, but Honda almost always has a blue collar model in their line-up.

My 919 is my go-to bike. Placed to be easy to get to in the garage, and always in the ready for a leg thrown over the seat. It doesn't excel at anything, but is really good at everything. Having a "naked" bike helps me keep my licence, as it really lets you feel the speed with the wind on your body. Especially with power increase mods I've made. Ready made wheelies, just twist the wrist.

I only purchased an FJR because the lack of a fairing became noticeable on trips that became, and seemed, longer as I got older. I had to decide if I was going to mod the 919 more toward touring, or get another bike with a fairing. And my FJR was purchased. And that is normally the only miles I put on it, trips that are days or weeks long. And they are very happy miles. But I cannot throw that extra 200lbs around like I can the 919. So it is my fast sweeper sporty touring bike it excels to be. And the cruise control helps keep me from getting wrist happy when I shouldn't.

If the CBF1000 was available in the US, it possibly would have become the one to replace the 919, especially with that red color, and I possibly would not have purchased the FJR. You have a great motorcycle that I feel a little bit of jealousy over :wink2:

#33 ·
Congrats on the new bike.

As an owner of a CB900F/919/Hornet, which was the generation before the CBF1000, and previous owner of CB350, CB750. I know this is a class that Honda quietly excels in. It really shows Honda's roots in the CB class and quite frankly, the creation of the "UJMC" that was so prolific through the 70's and 80's. Other models get the press coverage and hype, and excel at specific targets, but Honda almost always has a blue collar model in their line-up.

My 919 is my go-to bike. Placed to be easy to get to in the garage, and always in the ready for a leg thrown over the seat. It doesn't excel at anything, but is really good at everything. Having a "naked" bike helps me keep my licence, as it really lets you feel the speed with the wind on your body. Especially with power increase mods I've made. Ready made wheelies, just twist the wrist.
I've been looking at Hornet for a while. Great bikes.

#11 ·
I can only speculate the bike never made it there for emissions reasons, but hmmm, the Fireblade 1000/919, et al, did. The PO was told, doesn't matter what mod you do, you ain't importing it, no way... so now I have it. He had to sell because of moving to PA, and had no Canajan address to "keep it here".
Neal, I lusted lots after a 919 back in the day, very kool. I also had an older tech CB750 I always wanted (toy only, need real brakes, etc.)... the CBF just moved things along to a lightweight sport touring type, have been lusting after this for a few years too. The CBF just runs like a Swiss watch. It's a Fireblade engine with different cams/torque profile/less sporty. The CBF600 was almost identical, Honda came up with a new rad/engine mount up front which let them drop the liter engine in.

Reactions: NealC
#12 ·
Yes, we miss out on a lot of bikes due to the "DUAL" conforming required to sell in US.

I do have to disagree with the PO of your CBF1000A on getting it registered in the US, there is always a way. You just need to weigh in the cost and time factor. And you may have to deal with it on a yearly basis if your state requires inspections.

It can be a "gray" area of compliance, and sometimes takes registering in different states, then selling to yourself. Maybe using some "museum piece" loopholes. Not that I would ever engage in something as nefarious as that, I've just heard stories >:)

#14 ·
they don't make a "next" bike for me. The honda ctx1300 came close, if it had an auto, a retractable windscreen and shed a couple of pounds, it would have been perfect for me. There are some nice ones out there.... but I am having a hard enough time swinging my bum leg over an fjr, and anything sort of interesting is too high on the passenger seat.

#15 · (Edited)
Talking to a Suzuki dealer yesterday, he informed me that they are expecting new 650 Burgmans soon, with the usual; Auto, Electric mirrors and windscreen, lots of storage, lots of power, great balance, low seating, heated grips and seat,good ergonomics and most importantly a "step through mounting" :smile2:" no more pain and worry about hip cramps and dropping a bike. Yes it's a "scooter", but a VERY GOOD one, and it's a scooter only by some lame and general definition;
scoot·er
/ˈsko͞odər/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a light two-wheeled open motor vehicle on which the driver sits over an enclosed engine with legs together and feet resting on a floorboard.

#17 ·
Neal, taking a bike across the border requires pre-applying to get it there before you go, gotta get past the feds first.... both ways.

#18 ·
The only part that cannot be by-passed is the import/export duties. You are going to pay those. No escaping death or taxes. But are you importing a motor vehicle? Or importing used vintage motorcycle parts? You a Johnny Cash fan?:grin2:

#20 ·
My wife bought a Yamaha 400 Majesty scooter a couple of years ago. I rode it a couple of times and it was so nice I bought one for myself. They really are very nice, very quick, and so easy to operate. Twist and go, and each hand controlled a brake. In my motorcycle boots it was hard to swing my leg through the tunnel without kicking it but it was easier than swinging the leg over without kicking 2 saddlebags lol. Got great gas mileage. The underseat storage was amazing. Handling was better than one would expect. The 650 Burgman is quite capable of criss country travel. They are not light however, and for some unexplained reason,at least for me, as good as they are,they are just not a motorcycle. Somehow they are different, and I like motorcycles more. She ended up selling hers and I ended up trading mine in for a quad with a snowplow to clear my driveway. Not saying I wont have another one someday though.

#22 ·
I’m 66 years old, and lost 25 pounds and some strength after my open heart surgery just over a year ago. While I’m still able to push the FJR around, I definitely feel it’s weight. My Superduke GT makes for a nice sport touring bike for day rides, but it’s not a bike I want to do my annual long trips on. The only lighter bike I can picture for trips is a BMW GS, and I darn near bought one a week before I came to my senses and bought the FJR.

Nice thread for us old timers

#23 ·
Hearing you, Jim!! BTW, a black 2008 CBF came up here this morning, an hour from me. C$1600, 2008, 115k kms (70k miles), has Givi bags and top box... below market value, total play money... but people have a mental block with high miles.... If I didn't already have one, I'd go for it, knowing that resale won't be great... but again, total play money.

#25 ·
In my case, I am looking for a replacement for the FJR, not a second bike necessarily. I'd love to have a VFR800, those things sound so badass when wound up, nothing like a high performance V4. Some of those cheap around here too. A buddy has one, can be a sport tourer of sorts, but for long distance days..... dunno. I'm afraid to ride it again, wallet will have an erection.

Reactions: jjscsix
#26 ·
Man I'm small, 5'6" 28" inseam first thing in the morning wearing waffle stompers, and when I test rode a VFR before buying the FJR, I felt like a jockey. Bars were pretty low and pegs were really high and far back. They had some great deals going on them, but no way could I live with the ergos. Don't know how a 6 footer could fold himself up on one unless he was really young and limber.

#27 · (Edited)
All this new(er) bike talk has the juices going, add in the 2 bikes that I just finished for a couple of guy’s (82 Honda ft500 single & 82 kawasaki 550 Ltd) and then Ray goes out and buy’s somethingthat piques my interests and then spectreman posts a picture of one of my absolute favorite bikes, **** ! I need to stay off of this forum.

All this has me thinking that maybe I need to get my 77 cb750k7 out of display mode in the basement and ride it. At about 515lbs it is a really lightweight bike compared to the fjr but i’ve Been riding my naked 76 gl1000 that I bought new more because at 600lbs but a really low Cg it is a lot easier, lighter feeling ride. Really has me questioning keeping the fjr, but if I want to do a distance ride it is hard to beat. Going to take the fjr up to the shop this week to prep it for my ride (380mi) over to nw Ohio next weekend for the CWC meet and with all the baggage it is a great “pack mule” .. but all this talk has me thinking... old age really sucks ! But it beats having dirt thrown in your face !

All this had some fuel thrown on it yesterday as I had a lot of errands and rode the fjr for about 150mi to accomplish them. I came up to a stop light and instead of pulling up in the left tire track like I normally do, I was in the rh track and when I put my LH foot down at the stop it started sliding immediately and I realized it was in a big puddle of antifreeze, heavy traffic and not paying close attention. I got real lucky because my foot slid into a really rough patch of asphalt that stopped the slide, if that hadn’t happened i couldn’t have stopped the very top heavy fjr from going over. Really drove that point home.

Reactions: smokamoto
#28 ·
Not to hijack the thread here but I have a question for you guy’s with the gen 3.5’s. On the Yamaha demo days test ride a couple of weeks ago I was riding their 2018 Es fjr and I noticed that whenever I pulled the clutch lever in and shifted I could feel a definite bump or clunk in the hand lever whenever I moved the foot lever up or down, anyone else ever experienced this ?

Being a hydraulic clutch it has to be some reaction in the clutch pushing back on the slave cylinder, so i’m Just wondering if this is some kind of deal with the new clutch package on the gen 3.5 bikes. My 14a is just smooth as silk, no bumps or anything and quite frankly after riding 3 or 4 now of the new “low effort” clutch’s I really don’t notice any difference vs my “hi effort” 14 clutch,,,this 18es is the only one where i’ve Felt this bump. anyway i’m Just curious if anyone else has experienced the bump in the lever ?

#31 ·
Not to hijack the thread here but I have a question for you guy's with the gen 3.5's. On the Yamaha demo days test ride a couple of weeks ago I was riding their 2018 Es fjr and I noticed that whenever I pulled the clutch lever in and shifted I could feel a definite bump or clunk in the hand lever whenever I moved the foot lever up or down, anyone else ever experienced this ?

Being a hydraulic clutch it has to be some reaction in the clutch pushing back on the slave cylinder, so i'm Just wondering if this is some kind of deal with the new clutch package on the gen 3.5 bikes. My 14a is just smooth as silk, no bumps or anything and quite frankly after riding 3 or 4 now of the new "low effort" clutch's I really don't notice any difference vs my "hi effort" 14 clutch,,,this 18es is the only one where i've Felt this bump. anyway i'm Just curious if anyone else has experienced the bump in the lever ?
I have an 18A and am pleasantly surprised how easy and smooth clutch pull is and where the engagement point is. No bump or clunk in my lever, smooth as silk.

#30 ·
My buddy's is a '99, before the V-Tec (they had fueling issues due to emissions). I remember the rearset pegs not being too awful for me, but I certainly get it. Buddy had changed the clip-on handlebars and a couple of minor things... more of a sport bike for sure, maybe I should go sit on it to refresh my memory, but I'd love one as a second bike.

#32 ·
So, to continue with my story...... I did decide the red one is the keeper of the two, but I had to test comfort level for longer rides. I was going to an ST Owner's event in Ohio in June, so swapped over the aftermarket seat, put the Leo Vince's on, GPS, and a coupla things, lubed the chain.... trailered it to Ohio, in case there was long day pains.. could ride there every day for 3 days, long or short or whatever, put it to the test in the twisties. Here it is in Ohio, took a pic for a friend named Sarah whose BF is looking for a bike (he's 29, only rode dirt bikes before).

The gearing is such that it revs higher like a Tracer, gobs of torque in any gear, can ride FJR pace no problem at all. At 65 mph, it's spinning 5000 or a tad more. A little buzz comes in, not sure if I can tune that out a bit, as it has a unique system of solenoid and hoses auto-balancing the throttle bodies. But I will most likely bump the rear sprocket down a tooth to lower the revs a tad, it won't have much effect on performance. You can rail this thing around any corner, it just goes where you point it with confidence. With stock suspension. The seat needs a fix, obvious as the day wears on, but I rode it every day anyway. Handlebars are a narrow 27", I'm playing with risers and a wider set of bars right now. Have a plan for the seat. Stock windshield too short, I had a taller Givi for the Ohio trip, needs a little more help, so I installed a deflector (Laminar Lip concept, only a cheap one)..... all of this will be an evolution this year. Headed to an ST event locally in a few days, get to test out the ergos again.

Meanwhile, blackie got her suspenders removed and swapped with reddie. Swapped the Leo Vince onto blackie, Delkevics onto reddie. Added a little bling to blackie (aftermarket levers, crash bars), put the painted Givi panels on and tail light lenses, covered over the Suzuki badge with black reflective film (they were optional V-strom bags). Changed the tires, flushed all the fluids, new brake pads. Blackie was looking cool, and looking for a new owner. Ad placed.
The new owner did appear, took it home, him and his wife headed to the east coast a couple of weeks later. We've kept in touch, both on the CBF forum, all good. I like a happy customer. All said and done, I sold it basically almost for what I paid for it, all within a month.

Reactions: jtdunc
#34 · (Edited)
Great story really enjoyed it and great bike. Shame we can’t get it in the US, looks like it would fill a niche. Nice to know there’s another bike junkie out there got it as bad as I do.

The more I look at it the more I think Suzuki Bandit 1250. Great bike but never a runaway sales success. Maybe why Honda never bothered with bringing it here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.